Fire causes heavy damage to Morgan Woods apts

Fire causes heavy damage to Morgan Woods apts

by -
0

Edgartown firefighters responded to a report of a house fully engulfed in flames late Wednesday afternoon in the Morgan Woods housing development off Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road.

The fire heavily damaged a duplex unit in the subsidized town owned rental development. According to one bystander, the fire started in or near an outdoor gas grill.

Firechief Peter Shemeth said the cause appears to accidental. He said the fire caused the propane tank to vent. The tanks are designed to vent when the contents begin to boil, in order to prevent an explosion. The escaping pressurized gas ignited. The prevailing wind pushed the flames against the side of the building.

Three families, a total of 6 people, were left homeless by the blaze. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are assisting the families with housing.

Look for an updated report in the July 8 issue of The Times.