Two boys told Tisbury Police on Thursday, December 2, that they were responsible for damaging lighting fixtures on Owen Park dock two weeks ago. The 14- and 15-year old boys stepped forward to confess following the publication on mvtimes.com of surveillance video.
Town DPW workers discovered the vandalism to four dock lights valued at $350 apiece on the morning of November 23. The lights had been struck off their posts and destroyed.
Tisbury police obtained a recording from a video surveillance camera that showed a group of six young people on the dock that night around the time the incident occurred.
Detective Mark Santon provided a copy to The Times for publication on mvtimes.com and asked for the community’s help in identifying the teens.
“We had quite the response to the video on the Times website,” Detective Santon said in a phone call Tuesday. “I figured by after school time on Thursday, once people saw the video and the kids got out of school, parents would wrangle them up.”
Detective Santon said he was assisting Oak Bluffs police officers with a search warrant when he received a call to return to the Tisbury police station about 4 pm Thursday.
“By the time I showed up at the station, we had our lobby full and people in the parking lot and people lined up in each room of our station to talk,” he said. “So it was an overwhelmingly good response.”
Two boys admitted to the vandalism. Detective Santon said yesterday police would apply for felony charges for each of them in juvenile court of one count of malicious destruction over $250. The boys said others in the group were not involved in the vandalism.
The two boys will be responsible for repaying the town for the cost of the lights and also the labor to install them, Detective Santon said.
“The video did it,” he told The Times.