George V. Curran
George Vincent Curran of Dedham and formerly of Jamaica Plain died August 9, 2011. He was 85.
He was the beloved husband of Mary C. Curran (Madden) and the devoted father of Paul G. Curran and his companion Jill Walsh of Vineyard Haven, Nancy M. Curran of Medway, and Patricia A. Kilcommins and her husband, Paul J., of Groton.
He was born on February 14, 1926, to Mary B. Roche and Thomas F. Curran of Waterford, Ireland, at 209 Boylston Street in Jamaica Plain. He graduated from Mechanic Arts High School in 1944, and then worked as a welder in the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard. Enlisting in the Army Air Corp he trained as a tail gunner in B24 Liberator Bombers and spent time in the occupation of Italy. He was honorably discharged as a corporal in the 9th Air Force on December 9th 1946. Having played in his high school Drum and Bugle Corp, he took his military pay to the George F. Stone School of drumming and for several years played in jazz combos at Boston-area functions.
Hired by the Boston Police in 1956, he began walking a beat in the old Scollay Square. Attending night school and studying for promotion, he made Lieutenant in 1966 at the old Station 13 in Jamaica Plain. He moved to District E in West Roxbury, where he made captain in 1987. He retired in 1991 with 38 years of service.
On October 20, 1960, he married Mary C. Madden of Draper Street in Dorchester. In 1966 they moved the family to Dedham where they enjoyed many years of camping, fishing, and bicycling together. After retiring in 1991, he and Mary roamed the country in their camper, enjoyed cruises with friends, and spent many happy evenings at the Norwood Irish Music Club. He was a member of the Jacobs Jones VFW and the Dedham American Legion Post 18.
In recent years he spent part of a summer, and made many short visits to Vineyard Haven with his family and grandchildren until decreasing health and mobility made traveling no longer possible. He and Mary celebrated 50 years of marriage last October.
The funeral was held on August 11 from the George F. Doherty and Sons Wilson Cannon Funeral Home 455 High Street Dedham. The funeral mass was at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Dedham, and interment was in New Calvary Cemetery, Mattapan.