Martha’s Vineyard Pee Wee youth hockey action


The puck dropped Friday for the M.V. Peewees and a visiting Connecticut team. In a well-matched and close finish, M.V. managed to score twice in the first period. Jacob Gundersun came out with sticks blazing to make the first goal, and Connecticut’s John Baez matched it. Jack Murray scored second, with an assist from Anthony Jackson. Super strong and pro-active goaltending by Cathal Robinson and Zach Fullin kept the game electrifying. In the third period, it looked to be all over at 3-2, until Jack Garrett tied it up, assisted by Ellie Hanjihan, making it 3-3, to keep the benches on their feet.

Visiting Peewee teams Winchester and Providence fought a well disciplined and even game and ended the first round of the tournament with a second tie game, also at 3-3.

For the Bantams

In the first game Friday, Concord-Carlisle, with just eight players, came out hard but were overwhelmed by Brockton that prevailed, 5-1.

In the second game the Vineyard started and maintained physical play over Westfield. Great play by Jeffers and Vukota, while Forend showed strong puck handling skills. Vineyard controlled the play in a 5-0 game, earning an easy shutout for Wyatt Jenkinson.

On Saturday morning, the Peewees were back at it. Providence faced Conneticut, and Quinne Greer and Tyler Chaffee scored a pair of goals apiece as Providence skated to a 6-0 win.

The second Saturday game was well fought by the M.V. Peewees. Jacob Gundersun was back at it, scoring in the first period unassisted, and soon after, Jack Murray did the same. But the Winchester team, a large and consistent group of skaters, prevailed with some lucky shots and notched a 6-2 win. Ellie Hanjihan of M.V. had the most exciting breakaway this season.

More tourney action

The M.V. Bantams played Saturday against Brockton in a physical game. Mason Jeffers scored a high quality top shelf goal to help his team get to a 3-1 win.

Wyatt Jenkinson was solid in net and held the game.

That evening the Peewees played Providence and were shut out 6-0, putting them into the consolation slot.

On Sunday morning the M.V. Peewees had a handy win over Connecticut 5-0, to take the win in the consolation playoff.

Providence and Winchester played a close, disciplined and advanced hockey game with a 4-3 win to Providence, which claimed the title Peewee Champions of the tournament.

In the Bantams, Concord-Carlisle and Westfield squared off for the consolation game, which proved a runaway for Concord-Carlisle, 7-0.

And in the championship game, the M.V. Bantams played a very exciting contest Sunday morning, for the championship title against Brockton. The crowds were out in force, including the cheering support of the varsity team and coaches. What looked to be a well matched game in the first period proved otherwise. The Vineyard gathered momentum and notched a total of six goals against Brockton’s one. Bantam Maclean championship title goes to M.V. for 2012.

And for the Squirts

The M.V. Squirts 1 lost 4-3 to Dennis-Yarmouth on Saturday at the home arena. Aiden Araujo had a goal and an assist. Aiden Marek and David Krauthamer had the other goals.

While at Hetland, the M.V. Squirts 2 beat Hetland. The score was 5-3, with goals from Hunter Meader and Hunter Ponte, with assists from Cabot Thurber and Hailey Meader.

The M.V. Mites lost 4-3 to Lower Cape on Saturday in Orleans. It was a very good game, but the Coyotes came back and won it at the end.

On Sunday, the M.V. Squirt 2 team played Nantucket in a double-header. The undefeated Nantucket Nor’easters remained dominant. The first game was a shutout, with Nantucket scoring eight goals, and shutting out the Vineyard. The second game ended with a score of 6-1, with Hunter Ponte scoring the Vineyard’s only goal.