Phyllis A. Rogers

Phyllis A. Rogers

by -
0

Phyllis A. (Gonsalves) Rogers of Oak Buffs died at Massachusetts General Hospital on Friday, March 16, after a brief illness.

She was born on January 31, 1926 at home in Oak Bluffs. She spent her childhood days in the School Street neighborhood of Oak Bluffs. After graduating from Oak Bluffs High School, she worked for a short time at Aerovox in New Bedford.

Phyllis met John S. Rogers in Newport, R.I., where he was stationed in the Navy. They eventually married in 1952. Phyllis returned to her childhood neighborhood in Oak Bluffs with her husband where they raised their five children. She was a devoted mother who spent her time involved with her children’s activities and being a 4H leader. She eventually became affectionately known as Feefi.

Phyllis lost her daughter Yvette after a brief illness. Yvette was only 32 when she passed and left behind a two-year-old son, Evan Rogers, who Phyllis enjoyed raising. Nothing made her happier than being surrounded by her family.

Phyllis also enjoyed gardening and sewing. She was an elder of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head (Aquinnah). She had a great sense of humor and will be missed by her family, friends, Tribe, and all who knew her.

Phyllis was predeceased by her husband, John S. Rogers, their daughter, Yvette J. Rogers, and her brother, Phillip J. Gonsalves. She leaves behind two daughters, Stephanie White and her husband, William, and Corrine Rogers and her partner, Robert White; two sons, John Rogers and his partner, Gloria Taylor, and Dale Rogers; four grandchildren, Evan Rogers and his partner, Babette Benoit, Sudaara White, Talia Rogers, and Olivia Rogers; and one great-grandson, Isaiah Geddis. She also leaves behind seven siblings: Lillian Garvin, Frank Gonsalves and his wife, Virginia, Sybil Moreis, Audrey Moreis, Sandra Poratta, Dennis Gonsalves, and Jerome Gonsalves and his wife Martina; and many other extended family and friends.

Services for Phyllis were held on March 23. Memorial donations in her name may be made to CERE (Center for Eye Research and Education), 50 Staniford St., 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02114.