Tisbury selectmen approve Moxie license


Tisbury selectmen Tristal Israel and Jeff Kristal approved a common victualler’s license for Cafe Moxie owner Michael Ryan, at their meeting Tuesday at the Tisbury Senior Center. Selectman Jon Snyder was absent.

A fire destroyed the predecessor café on Vineyard Haven’s Main Street on July 4, 2008. A drawn out insurance claims process, town limitations on the construction schedule, and issues with NSTAR delayed reopening.

Asked about an opening date, Mr. Ryan deferred to the cafe’s new chef, Willy Wannamaker.

“I would say that within two weeks, we could be open,” he said.

Selectman Jeff Kristal, who has been bitingly critical of Mr. Ryan’s slow progress to rebuild the café in the past, offered a one-word comment.

“Congratulations,” he told Mr. Ryan.

The selectmen also considered a request from Peter Cabana, the county representative to Cape Light Compact and former town energy committee member, for payment for his services to complete paperwork associated with the Green Community grant. Mr. Cabana, in the absence of any written agreement, asked selectmen to pay him for about 35 hours of work at $75 an hour.

Selectman chairman Tristan Israel told Mr. Cabana there is no money in the budget for that, and he would have to present a proposal to put before voters at town meeting next spring.

In other business, the selectmen voted to approve a modification to the contract with Bruno’s for the transfer station, operated jointly by Oak Bluffs and Tisbury. The change includes a slight price increase, because of tipping fee increases, and extends the contract to February 28, in order to give the town more time to come up with an agreement for transportation services to New Bedford.

In other business, selectmen approved the appointment of special police officer Michael J. Leccese; agreed to schedule a public hearing regarding the installation of an additional stop sign at the intersection of Woodlawn Avenue and Main Street; and learned that work on town hall would likely take another week because of weather delays. In the meantime, town hall employees will continue to work at the new emergency services facility until the town hall is done.