Martha’s Vineyard beats Coyle Cassidy in last minute, 33-28

Martha's Vineyard, seen here celebrating a win over Bishop Stang on November 2, won another league game over Coyle Cassidy Saturday afternoon in Taunton. — File photo by Ralph Stewart

Alec Tattersall threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Watkins with 55 seconds remaining to give Martha’s Vineyard a 33-28 Eastern Athletic Conference win over Coyle Cassidy on Saturday in Taunton.

With the win, the Vineyarders clinched a winning record at 6-4, heading into the season finale on Saturday at Dan McCarthy Field in Oak Bluffs against the Nantucket Whalers in the 34th Island Cup. The Vineyard completed the EAC schedule at 2-2.

Alec Tattersall completed 14 of 21 passes for 249 yards and four touchdowns. Brandon Watkins ran for 66 yards and had 60 yards receiving. Joe Turney rang up 126 yards receiving and rushed for 62. Kyle Stobie made 14 tackles and Tony Canha had 11.

Down 28-27 with 4:21 left, the Vineyarders started the game-winning drive on their own 36. The key play leading up to the winning score was an 11-yard pass from Tattersall to Joe Turney on 4th and 7 from the Vineyard 39.

On the next play, Andrew Jacobs-Walsh, who came up big on defense with several tackles in the game, ran for eight yards to the Coyle 42.

Tattersall completed two more passes to Turney for a combined 22 yards down to the Warriors 20 with 1:13 left.

On 2nd and 12 from the 22, Tattersall fired a strike over the middle to Watkins to make the score 33-28. The two-point conversion failed.

The Warriors had one last drive and got the ball at their own 48 with 51 ticks left. On 3rd and 10, Coyle QB Dylan Greene passed for a first down to the Vineyard 40. Greene threw three consecutive incompletions to go with a false start penalty and the Warriors were down to their final play on 4th and 15 from the M.V. 45 with 19 seconds to go.

Greene took the snap, scrambled, and tossed a lateral. The Warriors extended the play, rugby style, until Joe Turney came up with an interception as time ran out.

The thrilling ending was a momentum builder heading into the Island Cup, but the victory over Coyle Cassidy was an often sloppy contest that couldn’t have started worse for the Vineyarders.

“We played just not quite as bad as Coyle did, to win it,” Vineyard coach Donald Herman said after the game. “We made several mistakes that should have cost us the ball game but I’m very proud of the way the guys fought.”

Coyle’s Alec Turner took the opening kickoff and ran 54 yards for a touchdown. The Warriors made it 14-0 with a 23-yard score in the second period.

The Vineyarders got back in the game with two quick strikes in the final minute of the first half. Brandon Watkins scored on a five-yard run with 42 seconds left. Mike Cutrer added the PAT to make it 14-7.

The Purple surprised the Warriors with an onside kick and Andrew Jacobs-Walsh recovered. Alec Tattersall followed up with a 33-yard touchdown pass to Jahmari Thomas. Cutrer’s kick failed and the score was 14-13 at the break.

In the third quarter, Alec Tattersall hooked up with Thomas for a 14-yard TD to give the Vineyarders their first lead at 19-14. Joe Turney scored on the two-point conversion and the lead was 21-14.

The Warriors tied the game at 21-21 late in the third quarter and regained the lead nine seconds into the fourth. Forty seconds later, Tattersall and Turney combined for a 61-yard touchdown to make it 28-27. The PAT was no good.