Oak Bluffs firefighters put out chimney fire

Oak Bluffs firefighters put out chimney fire

by -
0
Oak Bluffs firefighters responded to a chimney fire on Central Avenue Tuesday. — Photo by Angelina Godbout

Oak Bluffs firefighters responded to a chimney fire at 14 Central Avenue in the downtown business district Tuesday afternoon, January 21.

According to fire Chief Peter Forend, the homeowner was burning wood in a stove with an unlined chimney. He said creosote inside the chimney caught fire.

The flames spread briefly to an upstairs room. The homeowner put the flames out with a fire extinguisher.

Creosote is a byproduct of burning wood, and can build up inside a chimney where it becomes a dangerous fire hazard.

“It’s a common fire for us this time of year,” Chief Forend said. “People should clean their chimneys at least annually, and make sure they are using seasoned wood in wood stoves.”

Comments

comments

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply