Andrew John Farrissey died peacefully on Sunday, April 7, surrounded by his family. He was 83.
Born in Fall River on March 9, 1930, Andy Farrissey was a gifted athlete, successful entrepreneur, and deeply loved husband, father, and grandfather.
In 1948 Andy Farrissey led the Durfee Hilltoppers to win the New England Basketball Championship before a packed crowd of 14,000 in the Boston Garden, and later in life he was inducted into the Durfee High School Hall of Fame. Later playing for the Washington Generals, in 2009 the star center, number 22, was inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame.
Andy went on to start and run a number of successful businesses including Rodman Beef, Andy’s at Horseneck Beach, The Mill, Melville Marina Pub, and with his wife, Nancy and Jo-Anne Catering.
Proud of his city, Andy gave back through charitable work for the Boys and Girls Club of Fall River, where he learned to play basketball. He served as President of the Fall River City Council from 1958 to 1959 and was at the time of his death the longest serving member of the Elks Club, holding a membership since 1956. In 1953, Andy married Nancy Jane McDonald, the love of his life and his constant cheerleader with whom he brought four children and nine grandchildren into the world. He was adored by all of them.
Surviving are three daughters, Colleen Farrissey McGowan and her husband, Stephen, of Providence, Nancy Jane Duncan and her husband, Samuel H. Duncan, of Arlington, JoAnne O’Neil and her husband, Atty. John C. O’Neil, of Fall River; one son, Andrew J. Farrissey and his wife, Katherine (Anderson) Farrissey of Martha’s Vineyard, 11 grandchildren: Prof. Musa Gurnis and her husband, Nathaniel Farrell, of St. Louis, Mo., Leah Winship of Boston, Andrew W. Farrissey of Martha’s Vineyard, Rachael Winship of New York, N.Y., Leila Duncan of Arlington, Colleen Farrissey of Martha’s Vineyard, Samuel H. Duncan of Arlington, William Farrissey of Martha’s Vineyard, John A. O’Neil of Fall River, and Cameron and Margot McGowan of California. He was also brother of the late John Farrissey.
His funeral will take place on Wed., April 10, 2013 at 10 am from the Waring-Sullivan Home of Memorial Tribute at Cherry Place, 178 Winter St., Fall River, followed by a funeral mass at 11 am in Holy Name Church, 709 Hanover St., Fall River. Visiting hours are on Tuesday, 4–8 pm. Memorial contributions can be made to the Thomas Chew Memorial Fall River Boys and Girls Club, 803 Bedford St., Fall River, MA 02723. Burial will be private. For tributes and directions, visit waring-sullivan.com.