Firefighters called to Windemere for small electrical fire

Firefighters called to Windemere for small electrical fire

by -
0

Oak Bluffs firefighters were called to an electrical fire in the basement of the Windemere Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Wednesday afternoon. Three fire trucks, a rescue vehicle, and an ambulance responded shortly after 2 pm.

John Rose, acting Oak Bluffs fire chief, said the fire started in a basement electrical panel.

“It was in a panel box to a backup generator that they were doing some tests on,” Chief Rose said. “There was smoke and some flames in the panel. We did the standard evacuation for a fire alarm.”

No one was hurt.

Just before 3 pm, firefighters declared the the building safe to reenter. Martha’s Vineyard Hospital chief executive officer Tim Walsh said electricians working in the basement put the fire out with an extinguisher. He said the fire created smoke and left a lingering smell.

“It was an isolated room,” Mr. Walsh said. “It didn’t get into the nursing home.”

Mr. Walsh said the fire did not affect the nursing home residents.

The electrical circuitry dates back to the construction of the building and is undergoing an upgrade.