Quilters respond: Always honest

To the Editor:

The quilters who are part of  the Quilt Fund for Fuel Assistance want everyone  to know that nothing improper has ever been done with the money we have collected from all the thousands of people who have bought quilt tickets over the past 16 years or so.

We are so grateful that we have been able to help keep people warm. We thank all the ticket purchasers. We have taken our quilts to all the Street Fairs, the Ag Fair, etc. Now, in our 70s, 80s, and 90s, we can only do Tivoli Day.

And we thank all the people who have donated supplies — thread, fabric, needles, and all kinds of items. We hardly ever have to buy anything, so all the money goes to fuel assistance companies — Packer, Vineyard Propane, etc.

If the town officials had just come to me and asked, I am the only one who has ever written checks on the Quilt Fund account. (In 2008, when I went to Seattle to visit my daughter for four months, a volunteer at the senior center signed on temporarily with the bank and wrote some checks then. Believe me, she also did nothing wrong.)

When the police came, I printed out our bank statement from my computer, clearly showing that we are 100 percent honest and legitimate.

Roger Wey has been so good to us, letting us use the Council on Aging for our quilting efforts. We may now switch to meeting in each other’s homes. Roger is truly honest, caring, and concerned about clients who may be cold, or have medical problems, etc. It is grossly unfair for him to be treated this way.

Glenna Barkan and the Oak Bluffs Quilters
Oak Bluffs

Comments

That would be best not to use town property for your generous effort to help people stay warm in these frigid winter months. I would like to see the council on aging regionalized on the island and all towns kick in. I think it would be more available and helpful to the public that way.

1. DarcyDragon says:

So, you are saying that citizens of the island and residents of Oak Bluffs should be denied access to town property when they get together as a group to quilt. I fail to see your logic.

Well it seems the town thinks that everything produced on town property meaning quilts and moneys produced by them belong to the town.

1. PCM1 says:

Using that absurd logic, a charity road race, run on town roads should turn their proceeds in to the general fund as well? How about the Fire Dept. efforts to raise funds for their Fireman’s Assoc. at the base of Circuit Ave. during the summer? Need I go on?

It is absurd but the accountant for OB doesnt think the Quilt fund is private and Roger Wey has nothing to do with it.

2. jonathan larche says:

What elegant and unvarnished sincerity and common sense. Ms. Barkan should run for selectman next election.

3. jzskates says:

No good deed goes unpunished, especially in OB!

1. Capawock says:

Amen

4. Patches says:

I’m confused. Why was the woman trying to cash a fuel assistance check at Stop & Shop? Why did she go to the town and complain, instead of to the person who issued the check?

5. guest123 says:

I think the point everyone is missing is that Fuel Assistance is handled by a town/city government and not an individual. I applaud the quilters for there efforts but when you clearly make the statement that the money generated is for fuel assistance like the quilt and road race then it should be handled by the town or city government, by doing this there is a cleat paper trail, money in, money out. We have organizations in Oak Bluffs to handle peoples needs outside of the fuel assistance window. To me this is a misappropriation of funds not by the quilters but by the management that condoned and coveted this. I think when all is said and done we will all be surprised at the depth of this. Stay tuned

1. OliviaLewis says:

Guest123:

I hope you never have to rely on public assistance to stay warm in the winter. I am glad that you think that receiving assistance to keep your children and family warm is an easy process and the town/state/nation gives enough to heat a home for a winter like this one. I think that every effort that has been done in Oak Bluffs to help people should be recognized.

Maybe instead of this issue the town accountant should look into the vast misuse of overtime that many town public works employees accrue.

I am also glad that you are coward enough to post on this forum anonymously. That is really big of you.

1. guest123 says:

It is an attitude like yours that makes honest and open people like me post on this forum anonymously.

6. guest123 says:

OlivaLewis, you have a great deal of resentment within you to make these comments. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion you obviously do not feel that way, what a shame.