Tisbury firefighters responded quickly Wednesday morning to a report of smoke and flames near the site of a fire that consumed a garage workshop Sunday afternoon on Hvoslef Way, near Lake Tashmoo. Firefighters arrived within minutes, and found a small brushfire in a wooded area just a few yards from the burned workshop.
“It’s possible it was something left over from the other day, and was just smoldering,” said Tisbury fire chief John Schilling.
The first fire crew on the scene quickly doused the flames with 750 gallons of water from a pumper truck. The flames burned an area of low brush about 20 yards in diameter but did not threaten a nearby home and other structures, about 75 yards away.