Fire badly damages Tisbury house displacing family

Fire badly damages Tisbury house displacing family

by -
0
Tisbury firefighters responded to a house fire Saturday afternoon.

A fire broke out in the basement of a single family house at 11 Martha’s Vineyard Avenue, Vineyard Haven, Saturday afternoon causing considerable damage. The occupants, a family of four, were able to leave the building safely and there were no injuries, Fire Chief John Schilling told The Times.

The first call was received about 12:20 pm. When firefighters arrived at the single family house there was considerable smoke and flames coming out of the basement windows. Tenants Nivaldo DeSouza, his wife and children were standing outside, Chief Schilling said.

“There was significant loss of personal possessions,” Chief Schilling said of the losses.

The fire started in the area of a wood stove and remains under investigation. Tisbury firefighters remained at the fire scene for more than three hours. The Oak Bluffs fire department provided mutual assistance.