Fire destroys Chilmark house

0

Update 11:15 am

Firefighters battled a fire that occurred early Wednesday morning on Middle Road in Chilmark.

Police had Middle Road blocked off most of Wednesday morning around the fire scene, saying that crews needed to be able to go back and forth with water to the scene.

The fire appears to have started with floor sanders and oily rags on a deck at the house, Fire Chief David Norton told The Times. The house was under construction at the time of the fire.

Hot spots remained throughout the day, Norton said. As of 3 pm Wednesday, he said, the fire is 99.9 percent out, but he keeps going back to check.

“There were some stubborn areas they were trying to deal with in the basement, because the first floor burned through and trapped heat and smoldering material in the basement,” Norton said.

At the scene, a police officer said the house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene.

The report was made at 3:43 am, Lt. Gary Robinson told The Times.

The road is now reopened, Norton said.


Updated to provide more details. -Ed.