Posted February 9, 2006

Edward McDonough
Edward McDonough of Vineyard Haven died on Jan. 24. He was 95 years old.

Life began for "Ned," as he was affectionately called, in Letterfore, Ireland. He was born on the family farm and was the youngest of 10 children. The hardship of daily life there combined with the startling natural beauty of his environment helped to shape him as a person. Many times throughout the course of his life, he would hearken back to these things. Both became touchstones for him and guided his decisions.

At the age of 19, Ned left Ireland and came to America. He lived in New York City with his older sister whom he had never met before. This was during the depression and times were difficult, but he was able to work at many jobs. His background had made him very resourceful.

After achieving United States citizenship, he was drafted into the United States Army at the age of 31. He served in the European Theatre during World War II as a communication specialist.

Upon his return to the States, he passed the Civil Service Exam and was hired as an electrical technician for the New York Transit Authority, where he stayed for 27 years.

Ned had a love of learning and was an avid reader. He was well versed in history, politics, and science. Although he was "movie star handsome" he remained a bachelor for many years.

One day, at the age of 75, he met a lovely woman on a park bench in the courtyard of his apartment building. The attraction was instant, and after a four-month whirlwind courtship, they were married. He instantly acquired two daughters and three grandchildren. In years to come, great-grandchildren were born - five to be exact. Ned took delight in each of them. He was a father to all of them, giving and receiving unconditional love.

Ned loved living on Martha's Vineyard. It reminded him of Ireland, "only better weather." Every day spent here was a treasure to him and he was a treasure to all who knew him.

Ned is survived by his wife of 20 years, Marguerite, his two daughters, Maureen Fischer of West Tisbury and Marguerite Repola of Pawley's Island, South Carolina, three grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and countless nieces and nephews.

There will be a memorial mass and a celebration of Ned's life in the spring. Memorial donations may be made to Hospice of Martha's Vineyard, P.O. Box 2549, Oak Bluffs. Arrangements are under the care of the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, Oak Bluffs. Visit for online guest book and information.

Robert S. Frasier
Robert S. Frasier, 80, of West Tisbury Road, Edgartown died on Jan. 30 at Parkview Specialty Hospital, Springfield. Born in Brockton, March 30, 1925, he attended Oliver Ames High School in South Easton, and graduated from Edgartown High School. He was a retired grocery store manager and had worked at several Island stores. He was a member of the Federated Church in Edgartown.

He is survived by his wife, Sarah A. (Leighton) Frasier; his daughter and son-in-law, Sarah and Gary Fritz, Enfield, Conn.; his granddaughter Lori A. Fritz, Arlington, Va. Mr. Frasier was predeceased by a sister Jean Walker of Falmouth. A private graveside service will be held on Martha's Vineyard. There are no calling hours. Arrangements by Dickinson-Streeter Funeral Services, Springfield. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Martha's Vineyard Ice Arena, P.O. Box 2062, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568 or Federated Church, P.O. Box 249, Edgartown, MA 02539.

Ella Tulin
Ella Tulin, 75, whose sculptures underscore the strength and beauty of women and are prized by collectors worldwide, died Jan. 27 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Bethesda, Md.

Ms. Tulin spent her summers in West Tisbury where her work was exhibited in local galleries.

Ms. Tulin emerged from obscurity in her forties to become a commercially successful artist whose sculptures were widely exhibited in galleries and museums and were in demand by private collectors. Her works, often inspired by her feminist ideals, appeared in such divergent settings as the United Nations, galleries in London and Paris, and the Czech edition of Playboy magazine. From time to time, their erotic quality led to controversy.

Ms. Tulin's portrait bust of photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt, which she made from life, is in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery. Her sculpture "Fully Empowered," a seven-foot work showing a woman reaching to the sky, was chosen as the centerpiece and program cover for an international women's conference at the United Nations in 2000. Other pieces were included in an affiliated exhibition.

"Ella Tulin is a world-class artist who melds urbanity, craft, wit and love in a substantial body of work that will greatly reward our most serious attention," David C. Levy, former president and director of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, wrote in the catalogue for a 1992 exhibition of Ms. Tulin's art in Paris.

Her sculptures of women - sometimes alone, sometimes in groups, or with men or children - recall the earlier work of Henry Moore and Gaston Lachaise. They often contain exaggerated or elongated forms yet are firmly within the realist tradition.

In 1983, Washington Post critic Jo Ann Lewis praised Ms. Tulin's "special gift for capturing the telling posture."

"Her whole motivation was to empower women and show how they were rooted in the earth," said her daughter, Leah Tulin. "She wanted to show women in all their joy, all their power, all their beauty and all their strength. She had pride in everything about being a woman."

Ella Mae Wallitzky was born in Takoma Park and was passed from one foster home to another during a difficult childhood. She graduated from American University and was an elementary teacher in the Washington D.C. public schools in the mid-1950s.

She took graduate courses in art and literature at American, then moved to England after her marriage in 1956 to study sculpture at the London Polytechnic Institute. Back in the Washington area by 1959, she furthered her studies at the Corcoran School of Art and in 1979 received a master's degree in art therapy from George Washington University.

Ms. Tulin had a studio in a converted garage at her home in Bethesda, where she conducted sculpture classes for many years. She also led art therapy sessions at retirement homes and prisons.

A strong-willed, charismatic woman with a wide circle of friends, she was active in antiwar protests and other social causes for much of her life. In 1961, she was a founding member of Women Strike for Peace, a movement that grew out of protests over nuclear testing.

After working primarily in clay early in her career, Ms. Tulin began to cast some of her sculptures in bronze in the 1970s. She had her first exhibition at Washington's Touchstone Gallery in 1979 and quickly gained a following that reached from New York to London to Moscow.

In her 60s, Ms. Tulin had a kidney transplant, which was followed by a succession of health problems that limited her output.

Her marriage to Marshall Tulin ended in divorce.

Her son, Michael Tulin, died in 1994.

In addition to her daughter, Leah of Victoria, B.C., survivors include her husband of six years, Nick Mosey of Bethesda; two stepchildren, Tam Mosey of Cardiff, Wales, and Julia Jones of Cannock, England; and four grandchildren.

Justin Welch
Justin Welch of Edgartown died Feb. 2 at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. He was 70. He was the husband of Violet Welch. His graveside service will be held at a later date and a full obituary will appear at that time. Donations may be made in his memory to the MSPCA, P.O. Box 2097, Edgartown, MA 02539. Arrangements are under the care of the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, Oak Bluffs. Visit for online guest book and information.

Mary F. Connors
Mary Frances Connors of Oak Bluffs died on Feb. 3 at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. She was 85.

She was born the only daughter of seven children to her parents, Patrick Connors and Agnes Cecilia (Connor) Connors in Boston on Oct.15, 1920.

She was graduated from North Quincy High School and lived in the Boston and South Shore area for most of her life. In July of 1996 she moved to Martha's Vineyard and lived at the Love House in Vineyard Haven until moving into Woodside Village in September, 1998. Since October, 2004 she had been a resident of Windemere Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Mary was a great homemaker, providing the best care for her family while her children were growing. She had also worked as a hairdresser and operated her own salon for awhile. She was a devout Catholic and regularly attended church.

She enjoyed cooking and entertaining family and friends earlier in life. She also was an avid gardener and enjoyed growing plants. She won a blue ribbon at the New England Flower Show for a Christmas cactus which she grew from a seed.

She is survived by two sons, Brion McGroarty of Oak Bluffs and Dennis J. McGroarty, Jr. of Suffield, Connecticut; two daughters, Maura McGroarty and Noreen McGroarty both of Oak Bluffs; four grandchildren, Kelly Jean McGroarty of East Hartford, Conn., Brion K. McGroarty of Braintree, Jack and Jane McGroarty, both of Oak Bluffs; and a brother, John R. Connors of Tucker, Ga. She was predeceased by her other five brothers.

Her Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated in Our Lady Star of the Sea Church in Oak Bluffs on Feb. 7, officiated by Rev. Joseph Byrne and Deacon Fred Lapiana. Burial followed in Sacred Heart Cemetery, Vineyard Ave., Oak Bluffs.

Donations may be made in her memory to the Good Shepherd Parish of Martha's Vineyard, P.O. Box 1058 or to the Martha's Vineyard Ice Arena, P.O. Box 2062, both in Vineyard Haven, MA 02568. Visit for online guest book and information.

Joseph J. Lucas Jr.
Joseph John Lucas Jr., a physician who practiced nearly four decades in Hartford, Conn., before retiring to Chilmark eight years ago, died in the company of his closest family members on Feb. 4 due to complications related to Parkinson's disease. He was 76.

Joseph John Lucas Jr. was born April 14, 1929 in Garfield, N.J. to Anna Szott Lucas, an immigrant from Prussia, and Joseph Lucas, a native of Yonkers, N.Y. Young Joseph spent his childhood in Schenectady, N.Y. While he was a schoolboy, World War II broke out, and Joseph used to lie awake at night listening to radio dispatches from the front. When U.S. troops landed in Italy, Joseph developed a fascination with that country and often pondered what life might be like there, ultimately deciding he needed to go to find out.

He was graduated from Villanova University in 1952 with a pre-medical science degree. Then, fulfilling his radio dreams, he set sail for Italy to study medicine at the University of Rome. While there, he developed a life-long love for skiing. He also met a gregarious young Romana named Vanda Fanelli, who would turn out to be the love of his life. Two years later, the couple married. At 7 am on Monday, Nov. 14, 1955¸ they exchanged vows in the third chapel on the left of St. Peter's Basilica.

In 1957, Joseph was graduated from the University of Rome with a degree in medicine. The couple returned to his home town of Schenectady, where Joseph completed his internship at Ellis Hospital. His first appointment was to the University of Nebraska, where he served as a resident in internal medicine through June, 1961. It was during this time that their first daughter, Elizabeth, was born.

In 1961, the young family settled in West Hartford, Conn., fulfilling another dream of Joseph's: To live in New England. There, he opened a private practice in internal medicine and soon became a staff physician at Hartford's St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center. It was during this period that the couple's daughters Monique and Jacqueline were born.

Dr. Lucas's practice thrived, and he developed a specialty in geriatrics. Ultimately, he became medical director of two convalescent hospitals, Hughes Convalescent and Lorraine Manor, in West Hartford.

As a young family, the Lucas clan continued to indulge Joseph's passion for skiing, first in New England and later farther afield, in the Rockies and Europe.

The family also traveled often to Italy to see grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. They spent summers in Rome and at Vanda's family home in Le Marche. And in the winter, they skied in the Dolomites and the Alps.

Joseph always stressed the importance of education for his three daughters. When the girls went off to college, Joseph and Vanda made countless trips around New England and to Washington, D.C. to support them in their educational pursuits.

In the late 1980s, Joseph and Vanda began visiting Martha's Vineyard. They loved the quiet wooded lanes and wide beaches. In 1990, they bought a house off of Tea Lane in Chilmark. Though they still had the practice in Hartford, Joseph and Vanda spent as much time as possible on the Vineyard. Joseph adored the simplest tasks around that house - painting, mowing the lawn, planting the garden, doing battle with the deer and wild turkeys.

In 1994, he closed the office in Hartford, but continued to serve as medical director at the two convalescent hospitals. With a reduced schedule, Joseph and Vanda were able to travel to see their growing brood of grandchildren: Andrew on the Vineyard, Kristina and Kevin in California at the time, and Esmé and Adriana then in Prague. And with daughters in California and Europe, Joseph and Vanda had the opportunity to explore regions and countries they had never had the chance to visit.

In 1998, Joseph and Vanda moved full-time to the Vineyard. They continued to ski and travel. And while on the Island, Joseph kept plenty busy working in the garden and watching football (the Patriots and the Giants, of course!) and ice hockey (the Bruins, please!). Last fall, Joseph and Vanda celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with all of their beloved children and grandchildren in attendance.

A memorial service for Joseph was held on Feb. 6 at Our Lady Star of the Sea in Oak Bluffs. Joseph is survived by his wife, Vanda Fanelli Lucas; daughters Elizabeth Randall of Chilmark, Monique Conroy of Easthampton, and Jacqueline Lucas of Port Chester, N.Y.; his mother, Anna Lucas, of Schenectady, N.Y.; two brothers and one sister; five grandchildren; and three sons-in-law. They will all miss him terribly. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations in Joseph's memory be made to Hospice of Martha's Vineyard, P.O. Box 2549, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557.

Beverly A. King
Beverly Ann King of West Tisbury died Feb. 5, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. She was 76.

Her memorial service will be held in the First Congregational Church of West Tisbury on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 11 am.

Donations may be made in her memory to the MSPCA, P.O. Box 2097, Edgartown, MA 02539 or to the American Cancer Society, 720 Main Street, Hyannis, MA 02601.

Arrangements are under the care of the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, Oak Bluffs. Visit for online guest book and information.

Marguerite Macy
Marguerite Macy of Galveston, Texas died Feb. 5, in Houston, Texas at 84 years of age. She was the wife of Philip A. Macy, Jr. and the mother of Philip A. Macy III of Harwich and James R. Macy and mother-in-law of Faye Macy of Oak Bluffs. Her graveside service will be held on Friday, Feb. 10 in the Oak Grove Cemetery, Pacific Avenue, Oak Bluffs at 11 am, officiated by the Rev. Mary Jane O'Connor Ropp. Arrangements by Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Oak Bluffs. Visit for online guest book and information.