William J. Jones
William Johnstone Jones, engineer, passionate sailor, fisherman, husband, father and grandfather, died on Feb. 8.
He was born in 1915 in New York City to West Indian immigrant parents. In high school, he and his brothers became interested in electronics and became licensed ham operators. He and his identical twin, Cyril, graduated from Stuyvesant High School and were admitted to Tufts University. William entered the engineering school, though the dean warned him that because he was black, neither he nor the school would try to help him in job placement after graduation.
In their freshman year the twins' father was killed in a traffic accident and their scholarship aid lost because of a stock market recession. From then on the twins had to work to pay for their college costs and, in fact, held a full-time job by pretending to be one person. In the summer they worked in the Merchant Marine.
After graduation, William applied to 48 engineering jobs, but was refused all, often being told that, "We don't hire n..."
William persisted and received certification from the U.S. Civil Service as an engineer and because of his high school interest in electronics and radio, got a job on Dec. 1, 1941, in systems engineering at Fort Hancock, N.J., with a group that was working on the precursor of radar. He was soon selected to become the liaison between the Signal Corps and the Rad Lab at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From that position, he became a member of an ad hoc committee of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, working on radar, communications and other technical issues.
Near the end of the war he was posted to the White Sands Proving Ground in New Mexico, assigned to work on a problem with some captured German V-2 missiles. When fired, the missiles would explode as they rose out of the desert valley. He solved the mystery by proving that the problem was being caused by radio interference propagated from across the country by an atmospheric heavyside layer on the channel that had been chosen for the safety destruct signal.
After the war, William moved to work at Fort Monmouth, N.J., and earned his master's degree in electrical engineering from Newark College of Engineering. Unfortunately, during the McCarthy era, he was framed as having communist sympathies, lost his security clearance, and was fired. Moving his family to the attic of his mother's house in Harlem, he did the detective work and proved he had been framed. Regaining his security clearance in 1952, he moved to Massachusetts for a job at the M.I.T. Lincoln Lab, doing research in submarine detection with airborne radar, including work in B-29s and blimps.
In 1958, he was hired by Harvard as the chief electrical engineer for a new, joint M.I.T./Harvard research project, the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, as an "atom smasher." He also became a lecturer in Harvard's Physics Department for eight years and held an appointment as a research affiliate in the M.I.T. physics department. In 1970 he was appointed as a trustee of Southern Massachusetts University (now part of the University of Massachusetts) by Gov. Francis Sargent; he served for 10 years.
In 1973, he left Harvard to join the M.I.T. Energy Lab. During his time there, he traveled to the USSR, Europe and the Far East on energy projects for the U.S. government. He was co-author with Richard Wilson of the book, "Energy, Ecology and the Environment." In 1982, William retired from M.I.T., but maintained his ties to the institute, holding an appointment as a research affiliate up to the time of his death. In 1983, Gov. Michael Dukakis appointed him an associate commissioner of the Metropolitan District Commission.
He and his wife, Dorothy, spent summers at their house on Martha's Vineyard, where he pursued his love of fishing, sailing (and constantly buying, trying and then trading sailboats) and taking his grandchildren lobstering. When his wife entered the Windemere Nursing home on the Island, he moved to Martha's Vineyard full time, visiting his wife three times a day for five years to feed her.
William remained active and independent, sailing, swimming and fishing with his family, until a few months before his death at 91. He is survived by three sons, Peter and Marc of Massachusetts and Geoffrey of Vermont, and five grandchildren.
G. Robert Stange
G. Robert Stange, a summer resident of Chilmark since the early 60s and an authority on the poetry and literature of 19th century Britain, died Feb. 9 on Sanibel Island, Fla. He was 87.
Bob Stange's relationship with the Vineyard began one summer in the '50s, when he came to visit Professor Walter Houghton and his wife, Esther, at their house overlooking Menemsha Pond. Houghton had enlisted the younger scholar to collaborate on an anthology of Victorian poetry, the subsequently widely used "Victorian Poetry and Poetics."
It was 1964 before Bob returned to the Vineyard. That summer he and his wife, Alida, made the long car trip from Minneapolis, Minn., to summer in Chilmark, the start of a lifelong connection.
Bob Stange took obvious pride in being an intellectual, and his love of literature, of art and of learning was infectious. He took great pleasure in sailing his Menemsha 24, the Indra, across Vineyard Sound for picnics at Tarpaulin Cove, and in creating an impressive perennial garden despite the ravages of deer, wind, and sandy soil.
He was a professor of English literature at Tufts University from 1967 to 1985, and he chaired the English department there for five years. In addition to the Victorian poetry anthology, his publications included "Matthew Arnold: The Poet as Humanist," and numerous articles on British literature and culture.
A native of Chicago, he graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University in 1941. At Harvard he was awarded the prestigious Bowdoin Essay Prize, and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. After service in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he worked as an editor for Little, Brown and Co., before returning to Harvard to earn a doctorate in history and literature.
Stange joined the faculty of Bennington College in 1949. From 1952 to 1967 he taught in the English department at the University of Minnesota. He was an advisory editor to several scholarly journals, the recipient of numerous awards and fellowships, and served as a consultant for the Fulbright committee and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
In addition to his wife, Alida, he is survived by two daughters, Maren of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Margit of Berkeley, Calif., and Aquinnah; a son, Eric, of Arlington and Aquinnah, and three grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Hospice of Martha's Vineyard, P.O. Box 2549, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557.
W. Patrick C. Phear
W. Patrick C. Phear died of kidney cancer on Feb. 16 at age 66. He was a scientist, a pioneering mediator, and an artist, a man of strong feelings, deep values, courage, and humor. Born in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, in 1940, Patrick grew up on a remote farm without electricity, where he learned to be resourceful and creative. He delighted in the natural world.
After graduating from the University of Natal in South Africa, he worked for the Rhodesian Tsetse Department at Gonarazhou and Mana Pools as an entomologist. He built the first road at Mana, near the Zambezi River. Often the work done during the day was destroyed by irate elephants that night. When Ian Smith came into office, Patrick decided he did not want to raise a family in the increasingly racially segregated society, so with a wife and toddler George, he emigrated, landing in Boston in 1965, where their son Hugh and daughter, Nicolette, were born.
His first job in the United States was caring for the lab rats at Children's Hospital, which over the next 10 years evolved into a teaching position at Harvard Medical School. He worked on smooth muscle as a physiologist in the department of anesthesiology.
He was divorced in 1974, and was so shocked and outraged to discover how poorly the needs of children were met by courts in divorce cases that he decided to change careers. His aim was to introduce alternate dispute resolution into divorce procedures, for which there was little precedent at the time. He had to develop programs from scratch, persuade courts to adopt them, and train mediators to implement them.
Over the next 25 years, he had a private practice as a mediator, trainer, and consultant. He founded the first civil court mediation program in Massachusetts. He developed and taught courses on conflict resolution, negotiation, and the design of dispute resolution programs to mid-career professionals and at several law schools. He was a consultant to state judicial systems, including California, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, New Mexico, and North Carolina, as well as to many county courts and to the U.S. Appellate Court. He pioneered the use of mediation in resolving interstate parental kidnapping cases and developed the first state-wide court-sponsored mediation program to resolve child abuse and termination of parental rights cases in Connecticut.
He chaired the American Arbitration Association's first committee on family mediation. He was a board member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and served on the association's steering committee in its pioneering efforts to introduce ethical standards to the field of family mediation. Working with the Levinson Institute, he served as a mediator and as a consultant to the Social Security Administration and private organizations, including Ford Motor Corp., Owens Corning, the University of Kentucky Medical Center and Cambridge City Hospital, and he trained the first group of mediators working on the Vineyard.
In 1976 he married Beatrice (Edey) Hicks, who had summered on the Island since childhood. After taking a course on "How to Build Your Own Home," together with their five children they designed and built a vacation house in West Tisbury. Then they created a lovely pond by the house. Patrick and Bea also made many trips back to Africa, partly to visit family (the disintegration of Zimbabwe under its abusive dictatorship was a constant source of distress), and also to explore. Their most notable camping trip, lasting six months, took place in 1990, when with three of their recently graduated children, they drove two small land rovers from Morocco to Zimbabwe. It was a trip rich in adventure, challenge, beauty, human interaction, occasional discomfort, and mysterious encounters with local officials and red tape. Such a journey would be impossible today, as parts of the route, such as Congo, are unsafe.
After his cancer was diagnosed in 2000, Bea and Patrick moved to West Tisbury full time. A large group of family and friends around the world organized itself to visualize the shrinkage of Patrick's tumors at a set time every day. He had always been a scientific and skeptical man, but he enjoyed and appreciated this project, which lasted over a year, and he felt that it may well have delayed the tumor growth, if only because of the overwhelming feeling it gave him of being loved and supported. He did survive years longer than initially predicted.
In recent years Patrick served on the West Tisbury conservation commission, where his sharp mind and hard work were much appreciated. His love of roads continued, and he volunteered to become road commissioner of the Obed Daggett Road Association and take care of it himself. He bought a little tractor and maintained the road in better condition than ever before.
His retirement also gave him time for art. He learned metal work and became an avid sculptor, with a smithy behind the house and a studio off Island. He had always been a prolific doodler; his doodles were geometrical forms integrating both angles and curves, implying infinities with spirals. Among his major works is a huge metal doodle hanging in the front hall of the house.
In addition to his wife and children, he is survived by his stepchildren, Catherine Hicks and David Hicks; his mother, Margaret Tredgold; his sister and brother-in-law, Shirley and John Clatworthy; and brother and sister-in-law, Stephen and Stephanie Phear; and many nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, March 3, at 2:30 pm at the First Congregational Church of West Tisbury, State Road. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Patrick's memory may be made to The Vineyard Energy Project, P.O. Box 172, West Tisbury, MA 02575.
Earl Stypulkowski, a resident of Martha's Vineyard for more than 30 years, died on Jan. 28 after a year-long bout with cancer. He was born on March 22, 1946 in Southbridge, the son of Louise and Anthony Stypulkowski. He graduated from Southbridge High School in 1964 and attended New England Accounting in Worcester. After college he joined the Air Force Reserve and went to meetings at Westover AF Base in Chicopee. Regulations required a short haircut, but it was the "hippie era," and Earl had long hair, so he bought a short-haired wig, tucked his hair up under it, and reported for duty. The officers knew, but could do nothing because there was no rule about wearing a wig. There is one now.
Earl married Christine Templeton and they came to the Vineyard in 1971. He bartended at the Boat House Bar at the Harborside in Edgartown, and summer days he could be found at South Beach with friends and his dog Tolkien.
Earl served at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine for 18 months from 1973-75, working as a medic in the emergency room. Returning to the Island, the marriage over, he took up scalloping down harbor in Edgartown. It was hard work but a good living. In the summer he quahogged in Katama Bay, Cape Poge and Eel Pond. Nicknamed "Duke" at the Harborside, he worked there until 1980. Earl was captain of the fishing charter "Slapshot 2" with Eddie Mahoney as mate, in 1985 to 1987. He rented a house on Morse Street from Rosalie Bassett for 14 years and painted her houses and many others on the Vineyard. He fished the derby for years and continued shellfishing until 1998. An outspoken man with strong political convictions, he had a great sense of humor and a very big heart.
Earl is survived by a sister, Judith Ferron, of Southbridge; a nephew, Todd Ferron of Melbourne, Fla.; aunt, Clara Cournoyer; cousins Phillip, Michael and Andrew Cournoyer; aunt Emily Forand, all of Southbridge. In recent years he resided off Lambert's Cove Road with long-time girlfriend, Virginia Iverson, and their dog Montana.
Friends, relatives, and hospice nurses all helped to care for Earl at home until he died. Friends are invited to a gathering at 12 noon on Thursday, March 22, Earl's birthday, at the Edgartown lighthouse to remember him. Some of his ashes will be scattered over a favorite scallop tow on the outer harbor.
Barbara D. Hart
Barbara Dean Hart, 87, of Vineyard Haven passed away at the Martha's Vineyard Hospital on Feb.16. Barbara was born on Jan. 15, 1920, to Florence (Dean) Mann and Raymond Mann, and spent her younger years in Waban. She graduated from high school from Northfield Seminary, then graduated with honors from Wellesley College in 1941.
Barbara married Harry Robert Hart, a true Montana cowboy and manager of the Dot S Dot Dude Ranch located in Melville, Mont. They were married at King's Chapel in Boston in 1942 and made their home in Melville where they were blessed with a family of three children: Harry Dean Hart, Mardi Hart Davis of Billings, Montana, and Nina Hart of Boulder, Colorado.
Barbara enjoyed working with and helping the dudes at the guest ranch, becoming a distinguished bridge player, playing with guests, fellow ranchers and friends. She also enjoyed going back East to Martha's Vineyard, to enjoy her family and spend time enjoying the water and beaches at her home. In 1980, she built a home in Vineyard Haven, and has spent most of the time since completion of that home enjoying her yard, family and friends in the East, as she would say.
Barbara was preceded in death by her father and mother as well as her husband and her son Dean. She is survived by her two daughters, along with six grandchildren, Laura Lawrence, Robert Davis, Joshua Davis, Kelly Ashton, Kim Brown, Rob Hart-Fisher, a sister Marcia Baker and two nieces. She was known to her grandchildren and great grandchildren as Grand Bobbie. She had seven great grand children, Brianna Lawrence, Nicholas Lawrence, Taylor Lawrence, Maddeson Hart Ashton, Whittman Brown, Keegan Ashton, and Baden Brown.
At her request, cremation has taken place. Please send memorials to Hospice of Martha's Vineyard, P.O. Box 2549, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557, or in your own local community. Arrangements are under the care of the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, Oak Bluffs. Visit www.ccgfuneralhome.com for online guest book and information.
Wayland S. Fuller
Wayland Stewart Fuller, 89, of Edgartown died on Feb. 20 at the Framingham Metro West Hospital. His funeral Mass will be held on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 11 am, in St. Elizabeth's Church, Main Street, Edgartown. Burial follows in the Old Westside Cemetery.
Visiting hours on Friday, Feb. 23, 6 to 8 pm, in the Chapman, Cole, and Gleason Funeral Home, Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, Oak Bluffs. Visit www.ccgfuneralhome.com for online guest book and information.