Posted April 12, 2007

Chauncey L. Christian, Jr.

Chauncey L. Christian, Jr.

Chauncey (Bill) Lewis Christian, 77, of Oak Bluffs died on December 25, 2006 at Harborside Healthcare Center in Mashpee after a long illness. Bill was born in Louisville, Ky. The family left Kentucky when Bill was two years old for Indiana, where he went to grammar school. Eventually the family moved to New York City where his father, Chauncey Sr., opened his CPA practice near Rockefeller Center. Bill graduated from George Washington High School and was the class president. Bill has been fortunate to have been employed continuously since graduation from NYU in June, 1950, with a bachelor of mechanical engineering degree and a commission in the USAFR. He started with RCA in July of that year and remained with them until 1969 with the exception of a 21-month tour of active Air Force duty during the Korean Conflict and a nine-month leave of absence in 1955 to get an MSE from New York University. At RCA Bill worked both in the mechanical and electrical machine design for the manufacturing and testing of vacuum tube and solid-state devices.

Later, in microwave areas he established and managed a calibration lab to test microwave parameters from D.C. to 18,000 gigahertz (48 million cycles per second). Bill was loaned to an RCA California lab to help qualify a low noise, tunnel diode. When finished he went back to his plant to do the qualification of a Navy amplifier that the diodes inputted. Bill later designed the testing and qualification of a solid-state doubler for the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) project.

While on active duty in the U.S.A.F., Bill trained to be an electronics officer and in that capacity set up and got operational automatic tracking radar for a SAC Radar Bomb Scoring detachment in Denver, Colo. Upon discharge, he returned to New York and rejoined the same department at RCA in January 1952, but in the electrical section, and during this time also qualified to take the professional engineer's exam. Bill got a master of science in management engineering from New Jersey Institute of Technology in 1961. The family moved to New England. So Bill resigned from RCA and became a project engineer with Raytheon's Wayland Lab's Electrical Department, which was involved with the electronics for the Missile Site Radar (MSR) programs. He was promoted to technical director of the program to plan the installation qualification of an MSR system components testing station. After successful completion, Bill became a team manager for the manufacturing of these MSR components. The Defense Department cancelled MSR after accepting components for two sites.

At this time, Bill was offered a position at Polaroid. He joined the Quality Control area of Polaroid's film division as head of Sanstrometry (the science of measuring film quality).

After working in various aspects of film quality control he became part of the Engineering Division where he did fault analysis on microchip failures and soon became part of the Electronics Manufacturing and Development Engineering group. Shortly, Bill became the communications interface for the offshore sourcing of outsourced electronics made in Taiwan and Japan. He was sent to Japan to introduce a new product to a Japanese vendor and later introduced the project to a Taiwanese vendor. Bill was soon sent to interface with vendors in Scotland, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico and Germany. When it was decided to help establish a factory in Shanghai, Bill's manager asked him to organize and schedule a program required to lay out a factory to insert and solder components on an electronic strobe's printed circuit boards for an acceptable qualification of this product. That required bringing the Shanghai factory Cadre to the United States for a six-week training program to teach them to be proficient with this technique and equipment needed to be able to manufacture, test and qualify this product. Upon successful completion of this start up, Bill was asked to do the same thing for a Russian factory in Obnisk Kaluga region of Russia but this time with automatic insertion equipment. The Russian director of the plant was so pleased that Bill was awarded a certificate for his contribution made to Redevelopment of International Relations between the United States and the U.S.S.R. He cherishes this along with his 1955 R.A. Golden Achievement Award, plus his becoming a professional engineer in New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts, where he was asked to publish and edit the Massachusetts P.E.'s first periodic magazine, the Massachusetts P.E. Minuteman magazine and to represent that society as its designated member of the Mass. Safe Housing Design Board. Bill is a life member of the IEEE Society. He received a master of business administration from WPI in 1989, thereby becoming an alumnus of four universities. Bill retired from Polaroid in April 1993 after 20 years.

In 1969 the family settled in Framingham. Bill was a member of the Board of Assessors and a valued volunteer in his church, the Unitarian Universalist Society and they were members of the Couples Club and danced for 25 years with the Silver Grays.

Bill has been a member of the Oak Bluffs Board of Directors of Council on Aging for over two years and a year-round Oak Bluffs resident since October 2001. Bill and his wife of 49 years Anita have been visiting the Vineyard since the 1950s. Bill was an avid book collector and enjoyed music from the classics to jazz. More than anything else he valued his family. He spoke lovingly of his wife and was very proud of his daughters.

Besides his wife Anita, Bill leaves his two daughters, Karin Graves and her husband Michael and Linda Jean McVey and her husband Cameron; a sister Roberta Steele and her husband Robert; several nieces, nephews and many friends.

There will be a celebration of Bill's life on June 15, 11 am, at the Unitarian Universalist Society, Main Street, Vineyard Haven, followed by a reception at the Oak Bluffs Council on Aging, 21 Wamsutta Ave. Donations may be made to the Unitarian Universalist Society Memorial Fund, Main Street, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568. Arrangements are under the care of the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Oak Bluffs.

James A. Kleeman

James A. Kleeman

Dr. James Allen Kleeman, 85, of Woodbridge, Conn., formerly of Chilmark, died on March 30, 2007, after a long courageous battle with multiple illnesses, over the past ten years. His tenacious approach to life and the love of his patients, family, and friends allowed him to maintain a vibrant lifestyle and a busy psychiatric practice, up until his last few days of life.

Jim was born on February 22, 1922, in Cincinnati, Ohio. He grew up in Springfield, Ohio, before leaving for the Taft School, in Watertown, Conn., from which he graduated in 1940 with one of the highest grade point averages in the school's history. He resided in Connecticut the rest of life, first in New Haven, then Bethany, and finally, Woodbridge. He attended Yale University and Yale Medical School, completing both programs in six years, and graduating with multiple honors.

Jim began medical school at Yale with the intention of becoming a pediatrician, but the United States Army had other ideas, making him a psychiatrist "by an Act of Congress." He spent his army years in Hawaii. Upon returning to New Haven, he completed his training in psychiatry and psychoanalysis before beginning a long and distinguished career in private practice. In addition, he was an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Yale.

Jim was a member of many professional organizations both local and national, including the Western New England Psychoanalytic Society where he was on the faculty. He wrote many papers on early child development.

Jim shared his zest for life with his family to which he was completely devoted. He was an avid golfer, a sport that he learned from his mother while growing up in Springfield and which he enjoyed pursuing as a member of the Woodbridge Country Club. He was also a master fly fisherman relying on skills he learned from his father, a renowned outdoorsman.

Jim has been coming to the Vineyard and has owned property in West Tisbury, Chilmark, and Gay Head, for over 40 years. The Island has always been a special place for him. The natural beauty and peacefulness of the Island have provided a sanctuary for him and for his family. It has been a meeting place for the family in both joyful times and sad. On April 1, his request to be buried on the Island, next to his wife Joan, who predeceased him, was fulfilled. His current wife Micki will someday join him there as well.

In addition to Micki, Jim is survived by his five sons, one daughter, two stepsons, their spouses, eighteen grandchildren and one great grandchild. He was loved and admired by all those who knew him.

Theodore A. Trespasz

Theodore A. Trespasz (the "Sage"), of Fayetteville, N.Y. died on March 28 at the Iroquois Nursing Home in Jamesville, N.Y. at the age of 83.

Born in West Warren, Ted was a 56-year resident of the Syracuse area. He was a graduate of American International College and the Syracuse University College of Law (1953). He served his country proudly during the World War II as a pilot in the United States Air Force, receiving two Bronze Stars, the Distinguished Flying Cross, an Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters and a Purple Heart.

After law college, Ted served as in-house counsel at Carrier and as general counsel to P&C Foods, before going into private practice with Sam Sanford and George Van Langan. He was a past member of the Onondaga Golf & Country Club, the Century Club and the International Gyros. He loved the outdoors and enjoyed skiing, fishing, and summers at Lake George with the family. He made his own maple syrup and ice cream. When he combined them with walnuts, we knew we were loved.

Ted's humor and wisdom will be missed by his brother, Walter, of Maplewood, N.J.; daughters, Maggie Ariotti of Manlius, Lettie Trespasz of Dedham, Sarah Minton Trespasz (Stuart) of Edgartown; his son Ted, Jr. (Lee) of Manlius; and by six grandchildren, Molly, Meg and Gennie Ariotti and Teddy, Carolyn and Cathleen Trespasz, all of whom will remember his gentle ways.

A service was held at Holy Cross Church and burial was in St. Agnes Cemetery, Syracuse, N.Y. Contributions may be made to Hospice of Central New York, 7th N. St., Liverpool NY 13088.

Pete Perrine

Pete Perrine of Oak Bluffs died at his home on April 8. He was the loving husband of Joan Perrine. A memorial service for Pete will be held in early summer on a date and time to be announced. In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to the Pete Perrine Memorial Theatrical Scholarship c/o Edgartown National Bank. PO Box 96, Edgartown, MA 02539. Arrangements are under the care of Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, Oak Bluffs. A complete obituary will follow in a later edition of The Times.

Sam Milstein

Sam Milstein of Vineyard Haven, formerly of Edgartown and Chilmark, died on April 9, a few days short of his 94th birthday. He was surrounded by his family.

He is survived by his daughters and their husbands, Ann Milstein and Frank Piccione, Emily Milstein and Victor Spelman, and Debby and Will Ware; and his grandchildren Gennaro Piccione, AnnaRosa Piccione and Owen Ware. He was predeceased by his wife, Charlotte, and his grandson Harry Ware. Burial at Abel's Hill will be private.