Friday, March 29, 2024
Home Community Page 432

Community

Virginia Helen Iverson

Virginia Helen Iverson   Virginia Helen Iverson, 71, died on Saturday, Nov. 18, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, after being hit by a car in a crosswalk on Oct. 31 on State Road, Vineyard Haven. Virginia...

Ask Tom, the Dogcharmer: To treat or not to treat

Hi Tom, I'm struggling with the idea of when to reward with a treat, and when to correct behavior without a reward. For example, I know you're not supposed to coddle your dog when they...

Who needs a sleigh?

They may not be your typical elves — not quite the adorable pointy-hat-wearing sprites that you imagine when you picture Santa's workshop — but the Martha’s Vineyard Harley Riders are the ones responsible for...

Meals of hope

Updated Nov. 27 On Friday, Nov. 17, about 250 Island families walked out of the First Baptist Church parish house in Vineyard Haven with 55 pounds of food each for the holidays. Their bags were...

Show some love

Now is a time when the community can pay it forward, either by donating a handmade item or shopping at the Hospice of M.V.’s annual Handmade from the Heart sale. The fundraiser will be Saturday,...

Court report: Nov. 13 – Nov. 27, 2017

Nov. 13, 2017 David C. Hawkins, Tisbury; DOB 4/18/61, disorderly conduct: guilty, must pay $150 fine; resisting arrest: guilty, must pay $500 fine; threat to commit a crime: dismissed at the request of the commonwealth;...

Berried treasures

Just in time for the upcoming holiday, the Vineyard Open Land Foundation ramped up its cranberry production at its cranberry processing barn, Cranberry Acres, on Lambert’s Cove Road on Monday. Carol Magee, project director,...

Births: Aug3 – Nov. 9

Killian Lee Martin Hayes Kristen Plante, formerly of West Tisbury, and Martin Hayes announce the birth of a son, Killian Lee Martin Hayes, on August 3, 2017, at Lake Charles Memorial Hospital for Women in...

Ikuko Kawai Burns

Ikuko Kawai Burns, sculptor and seasonal Island resident, died peacefully in her Brookline home on Oct. 8, 2017, after succumbing to the cancer she valiantly battled for months. Ikuko Kawai started her life in...

West Tisbury students speak at Gillette Stadium

On Oct. 26, four students from the West Tisbury School were given the opportunity to speak at a statewide educational conference about a video-learning project they have been working on since June of this...

150th anniversary of the Vineyard Haven Band

In 2018 the third oldest continuously operational band in the country, and the only one started by a collaboration between Union and Confederate soldiers — the Vineyard Haven Band — turns 150. According to...

Debby MacInnis is retiring

Debby MacInnis, the assistant director and children's young adult librarian is retiring from the Edgartown Public Library. According to a press release, everyone is invited to wish Debby well at an open house hosted...

Births

Killian Lee Martin Hayes Kristen Plante, formerly of West Tisbury, and Martin Hayes announce the birth of a daughter, Killian Lee Martin Hayes, on August 3, 2017, at Lake Charles Memorial Hospital for Women in...

Have faith: Gratitude

Thanksgiving. A whole day based on the idea of being grateful. Now, that can be as simple as gratitude for a beautiful sunset, or thankful that a CAT scan was clear. In other words,...

Garden Notes: A bountiful garden season

Grateful for a great fall garden season; thankful for excellent rainfall for plumping Island wells and water tables; grateful for this Island we call home; thankful for friends and family whose presence makes life...

Community Poetry Reading at the West Tisbury library

Sunday, Nov. 26, from 3:30 to 4:30 pm, the West Tisbury library will host its biannual Community Poetry Reading, featuring community members reading their own poems and/or the poems of others. According to a...

Two Vineyard sisters get to live out a dream

Thanksgiving morning in the 1970s: the aromas of the feast to come began filling the house early in the day. Rolling over to check the time we fear we might have missed it. My...

This was then: Speed

In 1902, Edward Mulligan of Quincy, a wealthy Boston broker and Cottage City summer resident, was charged with manslaughter after his speeding automobile caused the death of 72-year-old farmer Ariel Scott of West Tisbury....

The Emergence of Fall

By the Supportive Daycare Program Summer and its nice warm days leave — Cool, crisp days of fall arrive Deep blue skies of October, Crispness Apples, falling leaves Halloween is coming. Dad says, "Let's get a pumpkin!" Apple cider — the smell...

Visiting Vet: Thanksgiving squirrels

Thanksgiving. Historically, it’s been a rather alarming holiday for my family. Although my mom still lives off-Island in the home where I grew up, she also has a place on the Vineyard, which my...