Thursday, March 28, 2024
Home Community Page 444

Community

Oak Bluffs: Foliage and flowers

Now the foliage and flowers are starting to look tired, slouching over as if they have spent the last of their energy trying to survive the recent assaults of winds and rain. The flowers that...

This was then: Arvagasugiaqpalauqtut Kinguvaanginnik Qaujinasungniq

Consumer DNA tests have become an important new tool for historians. Companies like 23andMe and AncestryDNA (which recently announced its 5 millionth customer) can indisputably confirm relationships as distant as fourth and fifth cousins,...

Tisbury: No place like home

Heard on Main Street: It’s always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it. Join other Islanders on Tuesday, Oct. 3, to welcome the newer...

West Tisbury: Dan Waters’ three cats

To begin, I ask you to forgive me for any typos or misstatements in my column this week. My cat, Nelson, is asleep on my chest, said cat making a lumpen, though adorable and...

Edgartown: Sunny gift

If I was the excitable, dance in the aisles, hang from the chandelier, and sing at the top of my lungs type, I’d be doing that tonight. But let’s face it, those who know...

Ranked-choice voting coming to the Island

On Sunday, Oct. 1, from 1 to 2:30 pm at the Howes House (in front of the West Tisbury library), Voter Choice MV will host Voter Choice Massachusetts guest speaker Nathan Lockwood, to discuss...

Foundation announces deadline for grant applications

The Farm Neck Foundation has issued a call for applicants for the foundation’s 2016 grants. All Island nonprofit organizations whose goal is to improve the quality of life in the Martha’s Vineyard community are...

Vineyard Montessori School to host admissions open houses in October

Beyond the shops and restaurants on Main Street in Vineyard Haven is the Vineyard Montessori School, where classrooms feel less like rote lecture halls and more like research libraries, where students are quietly and...

Chilmark: Life’s a beach

Life's a beach — at least it was last Sunday; with summer temperatures, Lucy Vincent's parking lot was nearly full. The warm weather is a wonderful thank-you for Islanders. I think just seeing the...

Bridge Results

At the Sept. 18, 1:15 pm game of the Edgartown Bridge Club, nine tables were in play. Finishing in first place in the North-South direction were Warren Morse and Gail Farrish, followed by Eric...

Aquinnah: Nothing too severe

I hope everyone got through the storm all right. I heard tell of some power outages due to downed trees, but nothing too severe. While the lack of ferry service (and fear of impending...

Maurice Roland Young

Maurice Roland Young, known to his family as Reese, died on Sept. 17, 2017, in Vineyard Haven at the age of 67. Born in Hartford, Conn., on August 5, 1950, Maurice lived on the...

Carolyn Allen Brown

Carolyn Allen (Ripley) Brown of Oak Bluffs died peacefully in her sleep after a brief illness on March 16, 2017, at Massachusetts General Hospital, with family by her side. She was married to Richard...

Where’s the MVRHS class of 2017? Find them on our map

In 2017, 177 students graduated from Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School. Of those graduates, 18 are going to two-year schools; 117 are going to four-year schools; three are going to vocational schools; one is...

Robert Charles Deitrich

Robert (“Bob”) Charles Deitrich, 90, of Chilmark, peacefully died in his home on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2017. Born Oct. 29, 1926, in Johnstown, Pa., Robert grew up in Rahway, N.J., and lived in Park...

Shirley Leighton

Shirley Leighton died peacefully on Sept. 21, 2017, at Aaron Manor in Chester, Conn. She was born in Providence, R.I., on June 26, 1929. She married Charles Leighton Jr. in 1948, and resided on...

Service for Charles W. Bradley Jr.

A celebration of the life of Charles W. “Brad” Bradley Jr. of Oak Bluffs, who died June 7, 2017, will be held on Saturday, Oct. 7, from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm at the...

Celebration of life for Judy Fraser Pearse

A celebration of life for Judy Fraser Pearse is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 23, at 2 pm at Vineyard Haven Yacht Club. Those attending are asked to bring a memory to share.

Tivoli Day

Wandering around Oak Bluffs last Saturday, Sept. 16, you may have noticed a few things out of place. It was the annual Tivoli Day street festival: No line of cars inching down Circuit Ave....

Rockland Trust appoints Beau Begin as retail financial consultant on Martha’s Vineyard

Rockland Trust has announced the appointment of Beau Begin as retail financial consultant. He will be responsible for developing fiduciary, investment management, and retirement plan business on the Island of Martha’s Vineyard. According to...