Thursday, March 28, 2024
Home Community Page 458

Community

Anthony R. Espuga

Anthony Richard Espuga, also known as Tony, died peacefully on Monday, July 10, 2017. Tony was born on Oct. 27, 1938, in Elizabeth, N.J. He graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School and graduated from Rutgers...

Tisbury: Potlucks, new books, and walking tours

Heard on Main Street: A musician is someone who packs $5,000 worth of gear into a car and drives 100 miles to make $50. Two remarkable artists from our town were recognized last Monday evening...

And the band plays on

Brothers Frank and Peter Dunkl drive a very large truck with a red trailer filled with band equipment up to the Sailing Camp Park every Monday night. The trailer is embellished with the words...

Update: Barney Zeitz’s German Windows Project

Last Wednesday, July 5, I stopped by Barney Zeitz's German Windows open house. It has been exactly two years since his return from his first trip to Germany, where he went to plan an...

The Dogcharmer: She’s a menace

Hello Tom, I could really use your expertise. I have an extremely fearful dog who is highly aggressive. Over the course of four years I've tried everything with her from training to Prozac, and nothing...

Win a kayak and help Haiti

Updated 7/18: An unlikely catch in the Derby last fall has turned into a fundraiser for Haiti. Margaret Penicaud won a motorized fishing kayak after reeling in a 40-inch, 23.8-pound bass. “I thought it would...

Federated Church celebrates 375th anniversary

This year marks the 375th anniversary of the Federated Church, a union of the First Congregational Church of Martha’s Vineyard and the Baptist Church of Edgartown. To honor this occasion, there will be a...

William Michael Hagerty

Alessandra Hagerty and James Hagerty of Edgartown announce the birth of a son, William Michael Hagerty, on July 4, 2017, at Marthas’s Vineyard Hospital. William weighed 8 pounds, 2 ounces.  

Academic honors

Graduation Nina Pauline Listro of Vineyard Haven, magna cum laude, from the University of Rochester. John Clark Wallace of Edgartown, magna cum laude, from Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. Mr. Wallace was also awarded the Phi Gamma...

Boyd Hand Cowper

Boyd Hand Cowper, 89, of East Chop, was a force to be reckoned with. He died on March 24, 2017, after a short illness. Boyd and his wife Jocelyn, married for 64 years, have...

Thomas Finley O’Quinn

Thomas Finley O’Quinn, 66, of West Tisbury died on Thursday, July 6, 2017, at the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. He was the husband of Juraci Rodrigues O’Quinn. Visiting hours in the Chapman, Cole and Gleason...

Alfred H. Hopp

Alfred H. Hopp, “Hoppy” of Hillside Village in Vineyard Haven, died on Friday morning, July 7, 2017, at Rhode Island Hospital at the age of 87. Al was born in Boston on Sept. 20, 1929,...

Nisa’s girls

Nisa Counter lives a different life than most. She’s been a vegetarian since birth, a vegan before it was cool, and has never had a single drop of alcohol in her life. “We were,...

Aquinnah: The Aquinnah parade

Fourth of July Aquinnah-style was wonderful. The parade, once again, was such fun. Not only did Arlen Roth kick things off by playing the “Star Spangled Banner,” but he also served as the official...

West Tisbury: Summer flowers

Daylilies and hydrangeas are the stars of Island gardens now. Orange tiger lilies symbolize New England summers and grow in ever-enlarging clumps, especially along roadsides and driveways. They are as ubiquitous and welcome as...

Oak Bluffs: Portuguese-American Feast

Oak Bluffs’ own special gala, the annual Portuguese-American Feast, takes place this weekend, Saturday, July 15 and Sunday, July 16. Saturday night all are invited to partake of the traditional free sopa. Sunday brings...

Richard D. Hathaway

Richard D. “Dick” Hathaway, 90, died on June 25, 2017, at his home in Edgartown. He was the husband of Janice (Holbrook) Hathaway. Dick spent his childhood in Bangor, Maine; Cambridge; and of course in...

Chilmark: Drones

Summer is flying by, not just because a drone flew treeline-height over me and the dogs on Creek Hill Road in Menemsha, the homes, and people on their lawns before disappearing along the creek...

Bridge results

At the July 3, 1:15 pm game of the Edgartown Bridge Club in Vineyard Haven, nine tables were in play. Finishing in first place in the North-South direction were Sandy and Michael Lindheimer, followed...

This was then: The Joggins

It emerged from a heavy fog into Vineyard Haven Harbor just after midnight on August 8, 1888. It was nearly an eighth of a mile long, and described as “cigar shaped,” crowned by a...