Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: St. Patrick’s Day, spring equinox, wellness day, farmer panel, and M.V. Film...

“May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.” —Irish blessing St. Patrick’s Day is March 17, the day to celebrate Irish culture. In my family of Irish immigrants, it was always...

Oak Bluffs: Signs of spring, P.A. Club, Strong Martha, Parent to Parent, and free...

“For there is always light. If only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.” —Amanda Gorman, “The Hill We Climb” Amanda Gorman, who will turn 26 years old...

Oak Bluffs: Bob Marley, Leap Day, Percy Cowen, Ag Fair poster, and Built on...

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” —Bob Marley I quote Bob Marley this week because...

Oak Bluffs: Full moon, beach cleanup, library’s future, Ambler Wormley, and senior center

“Try to realize it’s all within yourself, no one else can make you change /And to see you’re really only very small, and life flows on within you and without you.” —George Harrison Our February...

Oak Bluffs: Friday Reset, ‘Twelfth Night,’ film screenings, and Oak Bluffs history

“In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute.” —Thurgood Marshall, first African American U.S. Supreme Court justice This quote touched me. We watch the news and see war’s toll...

Oak Bluffs: Valentine’s pop-up at the P.A.

“What we need is not a history of selected races or nations, but the history of the world, devoid of national bias, race hatred, and religious prejudice.”  –Carter G. Woodson, author and historian Did you...

Oak Bluffs: Babe Ruth, Orchid Show, Gloria Wong, and contradance

“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” —George Herman (“Babe”) Ruth Babe Ruth was one of the greatest baseball players of all time, but here in Massachusetts we know him as “the...

Oak Bluffs: Oprah Winfrey, M.V. Museum, Rotary Club, and community potluck

“We have to make the choice — every single day — to exemplify the truth, the respect, and the grace that we wish for this world.” –Oprah Winfrey Oprah Winfrey was born into poverty in...

Oak Bluffs: Aging, TBD Improv, mini golf at library, ACE MV, and Tony’s Market

“At age 20, we worry about what others think of us. At age 40, we don’t care what they think of us. At age 60, we discover that they haven’t been thinking of us...

Oak Bluffs: Interfaith service, MLK luncheon, senior center, and winter activities

"Everybody can be great … because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need...

Oak Bluffs: Sun and moon, South Beach, Chicken Alley, and Clothes to Go

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books, and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art...

Oak Bluffs: New Year’s resolutions, climate discussion, and Kwanzaa

“Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day.” –Michael Josephson That New Year’s resolution resonates with me! It is so unrealistic to make a resolution for an entire...

Oak Bluffs: Holiday movies, Kwanzaa, and Gatchell light display

“Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.” –Zuzu Bailey, “It’s a Wonderful Life” Our little Island, with its small towns and big community, is enduring some serious heartbreak this year. Too many...

Oak Bluffs: Robert Hayden, ‘An Island Christmas,’ seasonal crafts, and M.V. Family Chorus

“And when all Americans — young and old, black and white — come to know these men and women, we will have a greater understanding and respect for America and all of its citizens.” ...

Oak Bluffs: P.A. Club, beach cleanup, holiday lights, ‘A Christmas Carol,’ and Council on...

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away."  –John Lennon It was 1980, I was working at Checkers Pub on Circuit...

Oak Bluffs: Holiday lights, First Friday, seasonal concerts, and Christmas Day meals

“The seasons are what a symphony ought to be: four perfect movements in harmony with each other.” Arthur Rubenstein We are all grieving the loss of Island son Waylon Sauer, who died at age 17...

Oak Bluffs: Gratitude, Beaver Moon, Strand Theatre, First Friday, and Island Community Chorus

“We should just be thankful for being together. I think that’s what they mean by Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown.”   –Marcie, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” Wishing you all a Thanksgiving Day that makes you feel thankful!...

Oak Bluffs 

“Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the...

Oak Bluffs: Veterans Day, 4-H programs, Barn Raisers Ball, and hunger and homelessness

“In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.” –Jose Narosky My father was a veteran of World War II. At age 19, he was flying a fighter jet over Germany when he was shot down and...

Oak Bluffs: Native American heritage, home energy, library classes, and M.V. Council for Young...

“History is a trail that was walked by our ancestors. For us to know it and them, we must retrace it, look at it honestly, and perceive it realistically, then tell it factually.”  –Joseph...