This Was Then: The tinman

For nearly 50 years, Charles Mayhew ran a popular Edgartown hardware business, selling stoves, plumbing supplies, dishes, kettles, keys, cinder shovels, pumps, pipes, wire,...

This Was Then: The artificial pond

Oak Bluffs’ parks are as old as the town itself. Designed in the late 1860s and early ’70s by landscape architect Robert Morris Copeland,...

This Was Then: The Augusta

On August 26, 1924, a hurricane swept the coast of New England. Crops were ruined, trees uprooted, highways flooded, and shipping virtually stopped along...

This Was Then: The Grove Hill Seminary

In 1868, the Rev. Horace Barrows Marshall moved to the Vineyard from Maine with his wife Annie and their three young sons. A graduate...

This Was Then: The Makonikey Inn

In July 1893 the Boston Globe reported the opening of a new hotel on Martha’s Vineyard “called by the ultra-fashionable name of Makonikey inn,...

This was then: Immigrants

  Martha’s Vineyard has long been an Island of immigrants. In 1905, more than a quarter of the residents of Oak Bluffs were foreign-born —...

This Was Then: Professor Miller’s mill

Professor Leslie Miller loved the tranquility of Martha’s Vineyard, but as a lifelong city dweller he really missed one thing: running water. Miller began his...

This was then: The Boston House

Krikor Barmakian was born in 1883 in Malatya — a large city in what is now central Turkey, 100 miles from the Syrian border...

This was then: Tisbury High Basketball

Jesse J. “Jed” Oliver (1897–1957) played forward guard. An Azorean native, Oliver later became a fisherman and ran a filling station in Vineyard Haven. Theodore...

This Was Then: Welcome and the ape

Welcome Tilton of Chilmark (1856–1949) was a whaleman, trap fisherman, lobsterman, cod fisherman, coaster, fishmonger, and later in life, door-to-door vanilla salesman. He came...