DPH confirms Island case of swine flu virus
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) Monday confirmed the first case of H1N1 influenza (swine flu) on Martha's Vineyard.
The Vineyard confirmation follows a report last week of one case on Nantucket.
The report of a case in Dukes County, which includes the six towns on Martha's Vineyard and Gosnold, means that every Massachusetts county has now had at least one confirmed case, DPH said in a press release.
A woman in her early forties was treated in the Martha's Vineyard Hospital last week, said Tim Walsh, hospital chief executive officer, who added that federal health privacy law restricts the hospital from providing information about the person's identity. He also said that the hospital is following all appropriate procedures to guard against the spread of infection.
On Tuesday, DPH confirmed 70 additional swine flu cases in Massachusetts. This brings the confirmed case count to 1,010. Eight of the newly confirmed cases were hospitalized. The total cumulative number of hospitalizations is now 73, DPH said.
Flu outbreaks evolve in unpredictable ways, said DPH in a press release, "and it is impossible to know whether this outbreak will decrease, remain the same, or grow in coming weeks, and whether the illness will remain at its current severity which, on the whole has been relatively mild."
Because there is no vaccine for H1N1 influenza, public health officials remind all Massachusetts residents to continue taking simple steps to keep themselves and others healthy.
· Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Cover your cough with a tissue or cough into your inner elbow and not into your hands.
· If you are sick stay home from work and if your child is sick keep them home from school for 7 days, or 24 hours after symptoms go away-whichever is longer.
More information is available at the DPH website (www.mass.gov/dph/swineflu) or CDC website (www.cdc.gov/swineflu).
Roadwork scheduled for North Road next week
North Road in West Tisbury, from its eastern terminus in North Tisbury to the Chilmark town line, will be closed to through traffic for approximately 3 days from 8 am through 6 pm beginning on Monday, June 15, according to a press release.
For more information, call the selectmen's office at 508-696-0102 or the West Tisbury Police Department at 508-693-0020.