Chilmark firefighters responded to a small brush fire off Quansoo Road Tuesday afternoon. A homeowner who disposed of fireplace ashes outside was the cause.
“It was just due to a little mishap,” Chilmark Fire Chief David Norton said Wednesday morning. “Luckily the wind had died down at the time of the fire, so it was easy to contain and put out.”
The potential for even a small fire to spread quickly is very high. The National Weather Service has issued a fire warning for all of southern New England due to dry conditions and low humidity. “They did issue a red-flag warning, so there will be no burn permits issued until that is resolved and the weather conditions change,” Chief Norton said.
In a recent statement, state fire marshal Peter Ostroskey said April and May are the two busiest months for responding to brush fires. “Once the snow melts, it reveals dried grass, leaves, and fallen branches,” he said. “Days of high wind, low humidity, and bright sunshine combined with the tinder provide the fuel for brush and woods fires.”