Friday, March 1, 2024

Museums

Museum Pieces: Life outside our experience

“We can’t change what happened in the past, but we can learn the truth of what did happen without fear or defensiveness.” —Linda Coombs Martha’s Vineyard Museum is a vital community organization continuously collecting information...

Museum Pieces: Far-reaching exhibits

“I was put on earth to make people laugh.” —Art Buchwald Why are we here? Who are we? Defining anything is incredibly hard. Think about how you would describe yourself or want to be described,...

Museum Pieces: Building community

“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” —P.T. Barnum We are different for a reason. Humans have such a complicated relationship with standing out, whether it be a physical characteristic, idea,...

Museum Pieces: Gathering place

“To know how much there is to know is the beginning of learning to live.”  –Dorothy West Take another second to read that quote again, and let the words sink in. This is a thrilling...

Museum Pieces: You’re part of the story

“Change often takes time. It rarely happens all at once.” —U.S. Rep. John Lewis  The world is always changing, which requires us to change with it. That doesn’t mean we have to go along to...

Museum Pieces: Clifford the Big Red Dog exhibit opens

“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” Decades after he wrote them, these words of poet e.e. cummings ring true. Seeds are planted in our childhood that set us on...

Museum Pieces: Universal acceptance

“We didn’t think anything special about them. They were just like anyone else.”  Deafness in Chilmark was once very common, and medical anthropologist and author Nora Ellen Groce wrote a book about it, called “Everyone...

Museum Pieces: New year, new shows

“If things go wrong, don’t give up. Go back and try again.” These words by Norman Bridwell, author of the “Clifford” books, are a perfect reminder to begin the year with. There are examples throughout...

Museum Pieces: Another 100 years

"How little we know, I thought, of the people we live amongst." —Geraldine Brooks Geraldine Brooks is a Pulitzer prizewinning author who has a residence on Martha’s Vineyard. Her ability to capture the complexities of...

Museum Pieces: A few favorites

“There is no life that does not contribute to history.” —Dorothy West Dorothy West was one of the most remarkable writers of the Harlem Renaissance, and a groundbreaker for Black women writers. She lived out...

Museum Pieces: Maritime history and more

“History is who we are, and why we are the way we are.”  –David McCullough Island author David McCullough was a two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, who believed that...

Museum Pieces: Exploring Island history

“A visit to a museum is a search for beauty, truth, and meaning in our lives.” This statement from artist Maira Kalman, which I came across by accident the other day, hit me deeply. I...

Bob Dylan Center: A trip to remember

My husband, documentary photographer Edward Grazda, was invited to attend the May 2022 opening of the Bob Dylan Center in Tulsa, Okla. Still squeamish about traveling, he decided we should not attend, and it...

At ‘Home’ at the Martha’s Vineyard Museum

Home can be a sanctuary, a community, a place of yearning, and the new exhibition at the Martha’s Vineyard Museum looks at home from many different angles, using engaging art, audio recordings, and places...

‘A Kid’s Life’

You’re never too old to play. And the Martha’s Vineyard Museum’s new exhibition, “1923: A Kid’s Life,” asks you to do just that. This fun and engaging show, which is part of its centennial...

‘They Were Heard: The Unique Voice of the Martha’s Vineyard Deaf Community’ at M.V....

“They Were Heard: The Unique Voice of the Martha’s Vineyard Deaf Community” is a small exhibit that tells a big story about inclusiveness, which is welcome in our time, often fraught with tensions around...

Wood boats brought to life

As a born-and-bred Manhattanite, boats were not part of my life. Moving here full-time, it seemed, much to my surprise, that everyone around me talked about boats an awful lot. After writing an article...

Miss West at the museum

“From ‘the Kid’ to Miss West: The Extraordinary Life of Dorothy West” opened Memorial Day weekend at the Martha’s Vineyard Museum. The exhibition is made up of letters, memorabilia, photographs, even the Smith Corona...

History’s flight

“Please touch!” That’s exactly what we’re encouraged to do with the five larger-than-life sculptures of birds that no longer grace this earth but stand as sentinels of the past on the lawn in front...

100 years of history

The Martha’s Vineyard Museum is celebrating its 100th birthday with a series of exhibitions and events that reflect the changes in their vision, growth, and purpose as the organization has evolved over the years....