Engagements

Mathew L.

A vaccination refresher course

I thought pet owners could probably use a vaccination refresher course. So the first thing I want to say is vaccines are good.

To My Nearest Neighbor

in emptying a full bird-feeder.

Halloween shopping on Martha’s Vineyard

Preparing for Halloween may include a trip to the store for supplies.

Saying goodbye to this year’s garden, and a bit on bats

Elusive bats, fluttering at dusk, their Hallowe'en shapes silhouetted against the dying light, symbolize how much of the quotidian is unknown to us.

Soup on the stove, and all is well

The Regional High School was bustling last Thursday night as students poured in for an enticing array of ACE MV classes.

Chilmark

After a month-long adventure perched at the end of the Menemsha jetty, the fishermen, women, and children have called it a day and headed home for a long overdue shower and nap.

To tweet or not to tweet? 700 million worldwide have answered yes

Social media may be a mystery to you, but it's a mystery that fascinates and engages millions.

Martha’s Vineyard scallopers welcome in autumn pastime

For many who enjoy shellfishing on Martha's Vineyard, October brings the welcome anticipation of netting scallops instead of raking autumn leaves.

Get Your Pink On marks Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The MV Breast Cancer Support Group will host the event at Isabelle's Beach House, 83 Seaview Ave. Oak Bluffs on October 19.

Two young women see Africa from Martha’s Vineyard

This winter, Lila Fischer and Hannah Kahl will travel to Uganda where they will work at Earth Birth, an international women's health collective.

Noteworthy

Island nonprofit organizations "whose goal is to improve the quality of life in the Martha's Vineyard community" are invited to apply for a Farm Neck Foundation grant this month.

Births

Lewis E.

Weddings/Engagements

Carol Lashnits and Kevin Coughlin announced the engagement of their daughter, Erin Lashnits Coughlin, to Daniel Herman, the son of Ken and Annette Herman of New Zealand.

West Tisbury

The sky was magenta at 6 am Tuesday, blazing patches of color through the trees in our woods.

Aquinnah

And then of course, there were the sales: everything half-off at On the Cliffs, half-off at Pandora's Box, and the Chilmark Store.

Tisbury

Our very best birthday wishes go out tomorrow to Christine (Luce) Gaskill.

Edgartown

Time for a little slow-down around these parts, what with the holiday weekend passed.

Oak Bluffs

Columbus Day weekend was the best in my memory.

Chilmark

According to the calendar, the summer has gone but the sun, air, and abundance of summertime friends still in our midst certainly makes it feel as if the dreamy days of August are still with us.