Monday, August 10, 2020

West Tisbury

My husband laughs at me every time I speak in superlatives, but this truly has been the most beautiful spring.

Births

Maddison L.

Edgartown

One week away from Memorial Day weekend, and I feel like I have a forest of oak trees attempting to take root in my lungs.

Aquinnah

Well, the first order of business today is to welcome Beverly Wright to the Board of Selectmen.

Young Martha’s Vineyard drivers learn about distractions

Every driver knows that texting behind the wheel is a no-no, but high school students saw dramatic evidence of the dangers in a mobile program last week.

Chilmark

Jirka Pavelka is back in town after a long winter's nap, ready to toss the pizza dough.

Tisbury

Last week I asked whether anyone could tell me more about the beautiful Bradford pear trees along Clough Lane.

Announcements

Isobel Flake of Vineyard Haven graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts from Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, N.

Scouting is coming back on Martha’s Vineyard

In a variation on "Be prepared," the motto of the Boy Scouts of America, Ewell Hopkins is prepared to make being a Boy Scout "the coolest thing for a kid to be on the Island.

Photos: Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School Prom

On Saturday, May 14, Martha's Vineyard Regional High School juniors celebrated their prom at the Beach Plum Inn in Chilmark.

When a dog “chokes,” check out its mouth

"Our dog is choking!" the voice shouted frantically.

Jacqueline L. Rocks

Jacqueline Lucas Rocks, a yoga teacher, photographer, and summer resident of the Vineyard known for her big heart and great eyewear, died at her home in Port Chester, N.

Summer camps on Martha’s Vineyard

Summer is right around the corner and kids are likely already counting down the time until summer starts.

West Tisbury

Going through one of my piles of clippings I found an old West Tisbury column by Polly Woollcott Murphy from May 1987.

Third Wheel Happy store opens in Edgartown

There is a new store in Edgartown, Wheel Happy Bicycle Shop, which opened its doors this past Monday and will stay open seven days a week from 9 am to 5 pm (with additional hours added sometime in June).

Chilmark PTO hosts clothing swap at West Tisbury School

The Chilmark School PTO's semi-annual kid's clothing swap was held this past Saturday in front of the West Tisbury School.

Martha’s Vineyard walkers take on cancer

Cruising around the Island these few precious May days, one tends to see a lot of pink.

Bird species come and go on Martha’s Vineyard over time

A phrase like "the bird life of Martha's Vineyard" projects a certain grandeur and sense of permanence.

Benefit for Kevin Searle of Edgartown

Some 200 friends of Kevin Searle gathered at the P-A club Saturday night to eat, socialize, and raise money for the guest of honor.