Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Shop Talk

The 1st of January is just days away.

Skating with Santa

Islanders of all shapes, ages, and sizes took to the ice at the M.

Aquinnah

My son was sick all weekend and I missed Berta and Vern's Christmas party on Saturday and Mitzi Pratt's open house on Sunday.

Tisbury

Haven't finished your last-minute shopping? Don't forget the lovely little book "One of My Nine Lives" by Lucius (the cat loved by Anna Tomlinson).

West Tisbury

Snow is gently falling outside my window, predicted to continue for another three days, hopefully ensuring a white Christmas.

Edgartown

As I write this, it is a winter wonderland outside my window, and I only hope it is still snowy out there as you read this.

Oak Bluffs

When you hear the Nobska foghorn blowing in the night and the temperatures are hovering around 30 degrees, you know that it can only mean one thing, and that would be snow — just before Christmas.

Chilmark

Occasionally I find that I have gone for days without paying the least bit of attention to the world around me, simply because I'm tucked into my little nest I like to refer to as family.

Vineyard stocking stuffers, last minute gifts

With your last opportunity to shop for Christmas being tomorrow afternoon (remember most stores close early) I figured some of you might need some help filling the stockings and finding those last minute gifts for unexpected guests.

Announcements

Christian P.

Soltice “” the invisible annual pivot point

Tuesdays lunar eclipse prefaced the solstice "” two powerful reminders that the earth keeps spinning in wonderful, mysterious ways.

Joel and Nancy Aronie reprise unusual tissue dispenser

Joel and Nancy Aronie made 350,000 of these goofy, playful tissue holders 25 years ago. Now they're back.

The Pontes reach out for a kidney

Kenny Ponte has lived with diabetes since he was two. Now, facing renal failure, he needs a new kidney.

Tom Bennett honored – counselor for 40 years

Tom Bennett of M.V. Community Services has been supporting Islanders for 40 years "” at Project, Daybreak, the Youth Center and the Island Counseling Center.

Concerts ring out across the Island

Sunday was a day for seasonal concerts and pageants around the Island.

Off-Island food for Island Food Pantry

The Island Food Pantry recently received a generous donation of nourishing food from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon).

Dorothy Barker passes the century mark

Dorothy Barker, a long-time resident of Chilmark and Aquinnah who now lives at Windemere, turned 100 on December 15, 2010.

The puck stops here…sometimes

To help perform a Herculean task,he wears a helmet and protective mask.

Aquinnah

Christmas is next Saturday and I really haven't done much of anything about it.

Tisbury

Despite the strong winds and heavy rain on Sunday night we enjoyed a delightful party in Chilmark — the Times Christmas Party.