Thursday, July 16, 2020

RHS receives sportsmanship award

The Eastern Athletic Conference (EAC) chose Martha's Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) to receive the 2010 Sportsmanship Award for District D.

Tisbury

Congratulations to Art Bingham on his good health.

Wampanoag powwow in Aquinnah

The 6th annual Wampanoag powwow was held at the Gay Head circle in Aquinnah over the weekend.

Yom Kippur on Martha’s Vineyard

Tomorrow evening at sundown is the beginning of Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year for Jews, which lasts until sunset on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.

Announcements

Larah F.

West Tisbury

The Island seems to be draped in autumn clematis.

Chilmark

The school bell chimed last Tuesday morning with the doors wide open to greet returning students and a lovely bunch of new little faces.

Oak Bluffs

A brief but moving ceremony, reflecting on the tragedy of 9/11, was held at the Nelson W.

Vineyard gift shops

Are things starting to slow down? Are you getting back into the year-round routine? Do you already need a break from life, even if it is just or an hour? Why not head down to your local gift shop and see for yourself the latest must-haves in little gifts and cards because, lets face it, there is always a gift-giving event coming.

Those who teach…

Once in a while I'm talked into doing something that really pushes me out of my comfort zone.

Island Bridal Registries

September and October are prime months for weddings, and they are also more peaceful times for brides to be planning their big day.

Edgartown

Well, I suppose we can all agree Hurricane Earl was a bit of a joke.

From Martha’s Vineyard to the Azores

John Alley, former proprietor of Alley's General Store, a justice of the peace, cemetery commissioner in West Tisbury, a selectman in that town for years and a Dukes County commissioner for years as well, is a descendant of Azoreans, but he's never visited the mid-Atlantic archipelago.

Tisbury

No complaints will be tolerated about the mini hurricane.

Late-season gardening on Martha’s Vineyard

Upcoming at PHA: Fall Plant Sale, Saturday, Sept.

Three Maciels retire as VTA bus drivers

Three members of the Maciel family celebrated the end of their run as bus drivers for the Martha's Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA) last week.

Meditation class on Martha’s Vineyard

Now that the Obamas have flown off, Earl has blown over, and another too-busy summer winds down, Islanders look forward to a peaceful autumn.

West Tisbury

Well, now we have prepared for the next storm.

Experience yoga and the Beach Plum: First annual MV Yoga Festival kicks-off

In recent years, the Vineyard has nurtured a rich community that is concerned with rejuvenating the mind, body, and soul, making it an idyllic host for an exciting new event — the first of what is intended to be a biannual affair: the Martha's Vineyard Yoga Festival.

Alice Rose turns 100 on Martha’s Vineyard

Alice Rose of Oak Bluffs celebrated her 100th birthday on August 29 at a party in her backyard with family and friends.