Saturday, August 8, 2020

New classes at B-Strong

B-Strong Health Club, in Oak Bluffs, has two new offerings for members.

On the move, sadly

It's the start of Departure Season: this weekend, following illumination night, the O.

Edgartown

It is the week each summer that Edgartonians appreciate for various reasons.

Our Fair ladies

In early August, the fairgrounds around the Agricultural Hall were still quiet but preparations were well under way for today's opening of the Agricultural Fair.

Wish fullfilment for Windemere resident

Late in the morning of Sunday, August 8, several Windemere residents and staffers looked to the sky to see fellow resident Beverly Brush waving cheerfully from the passenger seat of a biplane.

The future of four fish

"I've been fishing on the Vineyard for years and years," said the author Paul Greenberg in a telephone conversation late last week.

Trees, dogs, beans, and salt

Our shade trees are demonstrating their importance during the increasingly hotter summers the Vineyard is experiencing.

Aquinnah

Wow.

Chilmark

Congratulations to Ben Taylor.

Tisbury

One of the special pleasures of summer is casual dining.

Early-bird beach plums

This spring the beach plum blossoms were magnificent.

Baking challah at the M.V. Hebrew Center

What do you get when you combine 26 women, many of them novice bakers and all of them toting large bowls and all manner of mixing and measuring implements, in a confined space with a celebrity cookbook writer who's running a workshop to benefit the M.

Ice Cream at West Tisbury church

Sun-baked beach folk who needed a sweet fix were in for a treat Saturday afternoon at the First Congregational Church in West Tisbury.

Pancakes for nonprofits

On Sunday from 7 am to 1 pm, some 600 hungry Islanders headed to the Edgartown waterfront to feast on a pancake breakfast hosted by the Rotary Club of Martha's Vineyard.

Oak Bluffs

Crowds, longer traffic jams, high humidity, and a struggle to remain patient signal the arrival of August.

West Tisbury

Computers elude me.

Edgartown

It has been a different kind of week for me.

Eden, a gardener’s dream

Now in its 25th year, Eden Market and Garden Center on State Road in Vineyard Haven has aged with ever-growing glory.