Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Announcements

High Honors: Andora Aquino, Matthew Fisher, Olivia Gross, Sarah Hall, Anna Hayes, Gail Herman, Shaelah Huntington, Madison Ibsen, Tessa Permar, Meghan Pettit, Hayley Pierce.

Oak Bluffs

Well, it looked like an almost impossible task, but the crews building the sidewalks and resurfacing the roadways downtown have finished, and what a great job they did.

Tisbury

Congratulations to Emily Laursen and Dominick Biocchi, who were married on Saturday afternoon.

West Tisbury

I often feel that Mike and I could make another dog from the amount of fur we regularly brush off Tallulah and Murphy.

Songs to learn by

Worldwide, some 6,000 "songbird" species are put by taxonomists into a single order (Passeriformes, but don't worry, that won't be on the quiz).

Edgartown

The lilacs are in bloom and looking quite beautiful.

Learning from the earth

There's an ongoing program in the heart of the woods in Aquinnah that can only be described as life-changing.

Lost in translation

I had the most interesting email conversation with the woman who is doing the Brazilian Portuguese translation of "One Good Dog.

An angel from West Tisbury

This past winter Pam McCormick of West Tisbury identified a need on the Island.

Aquinnah

I'm getting a little disturbed by all the gossip around here; I mean I have heard so much gossip the past week and I can't use any of it in my column.

Run for the Rainbow

Main Street in Edgartown was flipped on its head Saturday morning during the 11th annual Rainbow Run, a fundraiser for Rainbow Place, a preschool on Anthier's Way.

Chilmark

Abigail Larsen, daughter of John and Susan Larsen, has won the Lillian and Arthur Dunn Scholarship given by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

At Work: Rafat Jabri, baker

At Work is an occasional column about neighbors and what they do to earn their livings.

A spring mix of splendor, challenges

The recent chilly spell has had the pleasant side effect of prolonging spring bloom.

Oak Bluffs

The entranceway to the town is now almost complete.

Tincture of time

Mayflower was a six-pound, nine-week-old rescue puppy arriving on the Vineyard from an animal shelter in Tennessee by way of Rhode Island.

New little ones at Quantapog

mom and dad guide six little ones to the pond.

Passion and focus pay off for Jessica Forend

Jessica Forend of Oak Bluffs took the equivalent of a Triple Crown in Intercollegiate Dressage Association (IDA) competition last month, when she was named Champion in the First Level Division with a 66.

More fun in May

The Island Children's School, now 41 years old, treated young Islanders to a day of fun at the school on Saturday.
>