Thursday, March 28, 2024
Home Community Page 650

Community

At Hanukkah, remembering Mula Jasny

And the melodies that preserve the bonds among generations.

This was then: Captain Jane and the Mansion House

Photos of long ago Martha’s Vineyard.

The deer hunter

Bemused readers ask novelist Nicole Galland for her take on navigating the precarious social landscape that comes with living on the Vineyard. Nicole, who grew up in West Tisbury, is known locally as the...

Poet’s Corner: New Houses

New Houses How do the new houses work inside? the long rows of sprawling ranches with green spaced lawns and perfect bushes? Are there attics and closets for Mommy’s corn cob doll saved since 1896 — and Daddy’s gas mask from World...

Bridge Results

At the Edgartown Bridge Club on December 8, six pairs competed.  Finishing in first place were Bea Phear and Sue Collinson, followed by Diana Dozier and Gerry Averill in second. At the Martha’s Vineyard Bridge...

Chilmark: Cheer on the Coast Guard

I was thrilled to get to hear Shirley Mayhew read from her new book, Looking Back: My Long Life on Martha’s Vineyard, at the West Tisbury Library last week. I had heard Shirley read...

Edgartown: Is your shopping done?

I’ve been on the road so much the past couple of weeks that I’ve had to delay getting into the holiday spirit, but last night we finally got the tree up, the cards are...

Tisbury: Look Out for Raffle Baskets

Best wishes for a rapid recovery go out to Barbara Harnen. We hope she is soon enjoying the holidays. Look for this: Many local merchants offer chances on a basket of gifts from their individual...

Aquinnah: Ugly Sweaters and Cookie Exchange

First things first, I made a mistake in last week’s column so listen up: Chilmark Chocolate’s last day is Thursday, December 18. Not Friday the 19th. I’m so sorry for the confusion, but Thursday...

West Tisbury: Pictures Outside Our Windows

The sky was so clear when I took the dogs out tonight. Stars sparkled. Even from inside with the lights turned off, they punctuated the night sky, making pictures outside our windows. The holiday season...

Oak Bluffs: Red Stocking week

As we get nearer to Christmas, in the midst of the frenetic shopping and many events, take a moment to look around and enjoy the scenery and time with friends and family. It is...

Callie Silva

Callie Silva died after a brief illness on December 12, 2014 at Whittier Hospital in Westborough. She was 67. Callie was born in Beaumont, Texas, to Anthony and Barbara (Vondermull) Silva. They moved back to...

Norman Ray Bridwell, beloved author of Clifford the Big Red Dog, dead at 86

Norman Ray Bridwell of Edgartown, who brought delight to millions of readers young and old as the author of Clifford the Big Red Dog series of books, died on Friday, December 12, at Martha’s Vineyard...

Bruce on the loose

Sharky’s beast is off to Chappy and soon to the Cape for restoration

Seniors in sweaters

Martha’s Vineyard elders break out the festive togs

Dynamic duo cultivates community at the Oak Bluffs Library

As children’s librarian Zoe Thompson prepares to start her own family.

Community Note: Gleaners celebrate a bountiful year

Finding, and distributing fresh produce that would have otherwise gone to waste

Community Note: Chanukah starts on Tuesday, Dec. 16

Polishing the menorah. Getting ingredients for potato latkes (pancakes) and sweet jelly donuts. A box of prettily-colored candles. Small presents, maybe. Preparing for Chanukah, which arrives on Tuesday, Dec. 16, at sunset. Chanukah is the holiday...

Births

Henrique G.A. Barbosa Simone and Elieter Barbosa of Vineyard Haven announce the birth of their son, Henrique G.A. Barbosa, on December 4 at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Henrique weighed 6 pounds, 15 ounces. Lily Mae Bolduc Charlotte and...