Monday, January 24, 2022

Edgartown

Wow it's hot! I'm watching the cucumber plants, not so long ago just a couple of leaves in a cheap plastic cell, climb the trellis and flower with vigor, and I can't wait for a taste.

You never do things alone

"You never do things alone," Ted Morgan told the cheering audience at Sunday's event honoring him.

What’s my story?

The Edgartown Public Library and I began building our story about five years ago, when my mother and I moved to Edgartown from Oak Bluffs.

Chilmark

This past weekend, Kevin and Elizabeth Oliver hosted Solon and Barrett's family birthday party.

Sail MV “” Seafood Banquet to Vineyard Cup

More than 300 people attended Sail MV's 19th Annual Seafood Banquet and Auction on Saturday, July 10.

Noteworthy

A celebration of the life of Tom Osmers will be held this Saturday, July 17, at the MV Agricultural Hall in West Tisbury.

First potatoes are so good

The humble potato ranks high on my list of the best tastes of summer.

Oak Bluffs

Fourth of July weekend was picture perfect, wasn't it? The weather was what made a good holiday — so that visitors could spend time at the beach although it seemed like hundreds were walking around town or in the stores.

The FARM Institute hosts Meals in the Meadow fundraiser

Watching a mid-July sunset, enjoying healthy gourmet food prepared by many of the Island's best chefs, and dancing to Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish under the stars — all this amid acres of farmland and a handful of contented barnyard critters.

West Tisbury

"I feel like I've died and gone to Hell.

Phishing expedition

I was dragged into the modern world of intimate strangers when I signed on for a Facebook account.

Musical Mondays at Featherstone

After a long, hot day on Monday, July 5, families gathered on the hill facing the outdoor stage at Featherstone Center for the Arts where singer/songwriter Jemima James of Chilmark performed along with other Island musicians.

To East Chop nesters

are these nest-builders on Crystal Lake.

Margaret Penicaud “” a force for Haiti

When Margaret Penicaud met a Haitian nun named Sister Monique 13 years ago, she got an immediate sense that Haiti would be part of her future.

Tisbury

Thank you all! Over 400 runners took part in Sunday's benefit run for Big Brothers & Big Sisters.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Martha’s Vineyard needs you

A perfect late June evening provided just the right backdrop for Blooming Bids for Kids, the second annual garden party for the benefit of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Martha's Vineyard.

Aquinnah

Well, we made it through the first hurdle of summer and I think we're all in one piece.

Edgartown

I have devoted a lot of this column in past weeks to my admiration of our local emergency personnel, but I never thought I would be on the receiving end of their expertise and professionalism.

Chilmark

In case you haven't heard, there is a new member of the Menemsha Café staff.