Monday, May 16, 2022

Aquinnah

We made it.

Edgartown

Labor Day weekend is upon us, and it looks to be a stormy one with Hurricane Earl working his way up the coast.

West Tisbury

Giulia Fleishman and Caitlin Jones introduced me to Green Zebra tomatoes.

Chilmark

Ruby Leilani McDowell was welcomed into the world by her proud and loving parents Ali (Weisman) and Malcolm McDowell on August 25 at 1:28 am.

Basil delights on Martha’s Vineyard

Sailors from Genoa discovered sweet basil on their trading trips to the Middle East 600 years ago and brought the herb home to Italy in terracotta pots.

Shopping local

The crowds are starting to dwindle with the impending holiday weekend and our local business will start to feel this change first.

Martha’s Vineyard churches share service

A festive, reverent, and fun ecumenical service and celebration takes place at the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs this Sunday, Sept.

Oak Bluffs

The Island is quieter now for a moment before Labor Day weekend.

Let’s Move M.V.

On Saturday at Alley Park in Oak Bluffs, fitness experts and initiates gathered in the inaugural event for Let's Move, M.

M.V. Islanders wish for Ireland

When the Make-A-Wish Foundation offered little Samantha Cassidy of Edgartown the opportunity to realize a dream, she had some trouble making up her mind.

Vineyard Verses

as these two bask behind Windemere.

Assemble packages for Pakistan flood victims

The devastating impact of the recent floods in Pakistan continues to be a challenge.

Charity hoops marathon in Chilmark

Dozens of basketball nuts — young and old, novice and proficient — turned the court behind the Chilmark Community Center into a celebration of sweat, hustle, and fun a couple of Sundays back.

Governor on Vineyard Saturday to honor first responders

On Saturday in the lobby of the Martha's Vineyard Hospital, Governor Deval Patrick and the Tisbury Volunteer Ambulance Association honored members of the Island EMT (Emergency Medical Technicians) service, county dispatchers, hospital staff, and police officials who helped save the lives of two people in Tisbury during a medical emergency.

A note on hosting visitors on the Vineyard

Fifty years ago, my grandfather sat down at his typewriter with a mission.

Edgartown Fire Department’s annual pancake breakfast

Pancakes were bountiful last Sunday at the Edgartown Fire Station, as were more than a thousand smiling faces.

Oak Bluffs

Monday was what I call a summer respite day.

Travelogue

I started to write this column from a hotel in Santa Fe, N.

Announcements

Truman B.

Tisbury

Entries by Island youth are always the best part of the Fair.