Thursday, May 23, 2024
Home Community Page 905

Community

Noteworthy

Fourth-graders in Pam Herman's class at the Tisbury School presented a check for $4,730 to the Red Cross in support of relief efforts in Japan after the devastating earthquake and tsunami in March.

West Tisbury

As I write this I can't help thinking about Memorial Day weekend that heralds the Vineyard summer.

Tisbury

Many friends and relatives came to the Island to take part in the celebration of the wedding of Heather Chapman and Paul Angelastro on Saturday.

Boneyard relocates to Main Street, Edgartown

The Boneyard Surf Shop held a grand opening on May 20 at a new location at 47 Main Street in Edgartown.

CB Stark celebrates 45 years in business

Award-winning C.B. Stark Jewelers celebrates its 45th year in business this weekend. C.B. Stark has been in its current home since 1983.

Cancer survivors support their neighbors on Martha’s Vineyard

No one should deal with cancer alone. That's why the Martha's Vineyard Cancer Support Group is so important.

Charter renewed for Martha’s Vineyard Public Charter School

A few minutes after 2 pm on Friday, May 20, the

Activity, fun sprout out at Polly Hill Arboretum

Hundreds of flowering trees and shrubs are in bloom this week at Polly Hill Arboretum.

Ecological and profitable landscaping on Martha’s Vineyard

You'd probably welcome a thousand-acre conservation project on Martha's Vineyard that didn't cost anything. Impossible, right?

Chilmark

Well, it wasn't the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, or the Belmont Stakes, but it was nearly as exciting for some dedicated young equestrians this past Sunday.

Martha’s Vineyard will walk all night in fight against cancer

Tammy King has loved the Relay for Life event for years, but she never expected the American Cancer Society's (ACS) eighth annual event to impact her own family as it does this year.

Oak Bluffs

And here we are approaching Memorial Day Week-end again.

Remembering Martha’s Vineyard’s fallen soldiers

"The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land.

Mary F. H. Snyder

Mary Faith Haggerty Snyder of Vineyard Haven died of congestive heart failure on May 17, 2011, at home, surrounded by her family.

James A. H. Walsh

A memorial service for James Anthony Hamlin Walsh will be held on Saturday, June 11, at 2 pm at the New Agricultural Hall in West Tisbury.

Arthur R. Railton

A writer who became a reporter, then a public relations executive, then a historian, Arthur Roy Railton died peacefully at Martha's Vineyard Hospital last week of respiratory failure after a very brief illness.

Aquinnah

I cannot believe I have forgotten to talk about the shark, the Great White Shark, that was spotted off the coast of Aquinnah two weeks ago sniffing around a dead whale.

Edgartown

I went away for the weekend and returned to find the lawn had grown about a foot in my absence.