The new Harbor Homes building on Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road that was recently purchased for a permanent shelter. —Sarah Shaw Dawson

The interim executive director of the organization with the only shelter for unhoused people on Martha’s Vineyard was appointed to the permanent position Tuesday. 

Jeannette de Jesús has served in the interim role at Harbor Homes since October, a month shy of the winter shelter opening.

A press release from the organization said that de Jesús “brings deep experience in nonprofit leadership and a demonstrated commitment to the community Harbor Homes serves.”

“It was clear from the outset that Jeannette’s educational background and depth of professional experience uniquely positioned her to lead an organization with a complex and multifaceted mission, bringing the strategic insight, operational discipline, and compassionate leadership necessary to meet its challenges and advance its long-term vision,” Maura FitzGerald, Harbor Homes board president, said in the release. “Even more important, Jeannette has proven to be a great cultural fit with a vision for the future of Harbor Homes.”

De Jesús previously served as a senior advisor on health reform to the governor of Connecticut, as chief strategy officer for Fair Haven Community Health Care, and as an executive director for Connecticut Hospital Association.

“I’m looking forward to building on the strong progress already underway,” de Jesús said in the release. “The people we serve guide our priorities and shape what comes next. That means strengthening core systems, supporting staff with greater clarity and consistency, and ensuring our services remain reliable, coordinated, and responsive. It also means listening carefully — to staff, partners, donors, and the people who rely on Harbor Homes — so our work stays grounded in real needs, and a shared commitment to lasting stability and dignity.”

In the past six years, Harbor Homes has had several different executive directors. Karen Tewhey first served in the position from 2020 to 2022. Sue Diverio then took over the position, followed by Rebecca Jamieson, Kristin Leutz, Brian Morris, Mike Bellissimo, who resigned in August, and now, de Jesús.

Harbor Homes recently finalized the purchase of a permanent shelter and location for the future Harbor Homes Center, after what they said was a “successful winter shelter season with a record number of guests.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *