The Martha’s Vineyard Museum held an official groundbreaking on Saturday at its new Lagoon-side location — the former Marine Hospital/St. Pierre School of Sport in Tisbury.
The project received a $225,000 state grant just days ago, and gained a key approval from the Martha’s Vineyard Commission.
In the coming months, museum officials expect to continue their fundraising push to raise the $24 million needed for renovations to the building. So far, museum officials say, they have $15 million either raised or pledged for the project.
Phil Wallis, the museum’s executive director, told The Times recently that despite the Saturday groundbreaking, he doesn’t expect the project to start in earnest until the fall.
The first phase will include renovation and restoration of the three-story 1895 building, as well as a pavilion for the 1854 Fresnel lens originally used at the Gay Head Lighthouse.