“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” —Kurt Vonnegut, “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” (1965)
That sentiment inspired “Eat Well & Be Kind,” the motto of the freshly opened Rosewater market on South Summer Street in Edgartown.
A girl from Ohio, a baker from Los Angeles, and an Island chef walk into a bar … well, not a bar per se, but you get the point. Julia Celeste, Rachel Fox, and Tina Miller are the talented women behind what is sure to become one of the most popular spots in Edgartown for good food, Rosewater Market.
Stepping into the market, you’ll get a sense for the two unique spaces: one, a fully stocked food market with highly curated, artisanal, and small-batch products from around the United States, as well as a focus on supporting the local community of makers and farmers; and two, a takeaway case of salads, breads, and baked goods, and chalkboard menus with their signature offerings for breakfast and lunch.
For dining in, there’s a communal round table that sits in the sunshine that streams through the front windows, but you can also grab a seat outdoors and enjoy your purchases in the fresh summer breeze. Go ahead, get comfortable; the efforts are in place to be open year-round for us Islanders, so we might be meeting for hot chocolate in December at Rosewater as well.
Reasons why I’m loving Rosewater:
You can start your day with one of their egg sandwiches, made on a homemade English muffin and layered with a fried egg, avocado, cheese, onions, tomatoes, and a housemade linguica sausage alongside your iced or hot coffee.
- If you’re in Edgartown and hungry for a meaty lunch, their offerings include a fried chicken sandwich and a house-smoked brisket sandwich, among others.
- Hosting a foodie affair at home, but don’t have the time to make anything? Their takeout case is packed to the brim with some amazing salads, as well as house-smoked chicken, available at times.
- Their bread program might be the sole reason carb lovers will visit this market — loaves of olive boules and baguettes are baked fresh daily.
- Artistic calligraphy can be found throughout the store, displaying basic price information and detailed quotes about food. All the work is created by Ashley Jakiela from Illinois, part of the Rosewater team.
- Locally picked and arrayed flowers are sold by bunches at the market, making it your one-stop shop!
Insider tip: Make sure to take home some of Tina’s “White Salad,” which she has been perfecting for years. A combination of raw celery, radishes, shaved cauliflower, and cream white beans is tossed in a lemon-rosemary vinaigrette and served with shaved Parmesan. A unique combination, it’s one that will surprise your palate with bursts of flavors and crunchy textures.
Rosewater Market is located on 20 South Summer Street in Edgartown, open 6 am until 6 pm daily. Call them at 508-627-1270, follow them on Instagram at @RosewaterMV, and like them on Facebook at facebook.com/rosewatermv.