Herbal cough syrup is a natural homemade alternative to store-bought cough syrup. It contains herbs that help soothe the throat, apple cider vinegar to rid you of viruses, and honey to promote a restful night’s sleep.
Here’s how each ingredient in the homemade herbal cough syrup can help:
- Apple cider vinegar soothes a sore throat because of its germ-busting properties. It contains potassium, which thins mucus, and acetic acid, which prevents germ growth.
- Honey: As an antibacterial, it calms inflamed membranes and a cough.
- Citrus fruit like lemons and limes: A great source of vitamin C, citrus gives us the immune boost we need when we start feeling sick. Plus it’s a great antiseptic.
- Ginger: Gingerol, the bioactive substance in fresh ginger, can help lower the risk of infections. And it helps with nausea and upset stomach caused by the flu.
- Rosemary contains substances useful for stimulating the immune system, which will aid in helping you feel better quicker.
½ cup apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup raw honey
½ lemon, sliced
½ lime, sliced
2 teaspoons fresh or ground ginger
3 springs fresh rosemary
In a small saucepot over low heat, stir the vinegar and honey together until melted. Add lemon, lime, ginger, and rosemary, and let steep for one hour until cooled.
Pour into glass jar and refrigerate until needed. It will last a couple of months in the fridge.
Find more recipes by Marnely Murray here.