Dukes County grand jury indicts two men

Jeffrey Sylvia is expected to return to court on Monday.

A Dukes County Superior Court grand jury Monday indicted Carlos G. Stevenson, owner of Mosher Photo in Vineyard Haven, on a charge of aggravated rape of a child with force, and five charges of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14.

Police arrested Mr. Stevenson, 48, of Tisbury, on June 11. According to the indictments, all of the incidents took place between 2000 and 2003, in Tisbury and West Tisbury.

At the time of his arraignment in Edgartown District Court, Cape and Islands assistant district attorney Laura Marshard told the court the charges stem from a period of stalking and molesting a child, over several years, that began when the child was 10 years old. At that hearing, Mr. Stevenson denied all of the charges.

Following his June 11 arrest, prosecutors filed an additional charge of indecent assault on a child, involving the same victim but for incidents in West Tisbury. Mr. Stevenson has been free on $9,000 bail.

Also indicted Monday was Matthew P. Tucci, who lists his address as Boylston, but who has been living for long periods of time on Martha’s Vineyard, according to police.

The grand jury charged him with two counts of possession with intent to distribute heroin, as a second and subsequent offense. He was also indicted on two charges of failing to register as a sex offender. Mr. Tucci was convicted of rape in 2000. At the time, he was 19, and living in Edgartown.

Mr. Tucci has a long record of drug convictions in several Massachusetts courts.

In January of 2013, with two heroin dealing charges pending in other courts, Oak Bluffs police arrested Mr. Tucci in a coordinated operation with the Martha’s Vineyard Drug Task force. He was convicted of dealing heroin in Edgartown District Court, and sentenced to 18 months in the Dukes County House of Correction.

On March 6 of this year, he completed his latest sentence and was released. Thirteen days later, he was arrested again, on charges of dealing heroin. He was released after that arrest on $2,000 bail, but at his arraignment two days later, the court revoked bail, and ordered him held on violation of his probation. At a subsequent hearing, he was again released on bail.

On July 15, Mr. Tucci went back to jail. After a struggle with police on Sea View Avenue extension, he swallowed what police believe were packets of drugs. They later went to a home where he was staying, and seized a backpack they believe belongs to Mr. Tucci. Inside they found 11 individually wrapped packages of heroin.

Mr. Tucci has remained at the Dukes County Jail, held on parole violations, since his July 15 arrest.

Both men were originally arraigned on the same charges in Edgartown District Court. An indictment moves the case to Superior Court, where the law allows longer sentences, including state prison sentences.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported that Mr. Stevenson was indicted on charges in connection with a second victim. The additional charges stemmed from an incident with the same victim but in a different town.