Monday, September 28, 2020
Home Town Columns Edgartown

Edgartown

Edgartown: VIP yard and art sale

As I write tonight, with an early deadline this week, the news has just come across the TV that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg has passed away tonight. I am immensely sad at...

Edgartown: Focusing on the good things

We are now firmly entrenched in September. I always have a sadness at the end of summer as we drift into fall, but I’m not feeling it as much this year. I think this...

Edgartown: Teachers shuffle classrooms

I remember as a kid, Labor Day meant the END of summer. If you drove down Main Street the day after Labor Day, it was a ghost town. Parking everywhere. Stores closed, maybe to...

Edgartown: Starting a new school year

I am not going to lie. It’s Sunday night. I have two days of summer left before I head back into school on Wednesday, and I am nervous. Like many teachers, I’m nervous every...

Edgartown: A touch of glitter goes a long way

We are heading into the last day of August. One of the big questions many of us have been asking in recent weeks is, Would the Island quiet down at the end of August?...

Edgartown: Preparing for school year

This week is officially the week that wasn’t! Normally the biggest week of the summer, the only big thing going on is that we finally got some rain. No Illumination Night, no fair, and...

Edgartown: Hybrid learning for children

Is it just me, or are other people still having trouble knowing what day it is? I’m forever on the wrong day. I don’t think I’ve missed anything, thanks to my trusty calendar on...

Edgartown: On slow post offices, and other summer hazards

August is here. How is it possible that the summer is flying by so fast, and yet also feels so slow at the same time? And I don’t know about all of you, but...

Edgartown: History talk at Fisher House

I’m sitting down to write this after spending the day floating on air. After all this time, I sort of thought that having an “official” high school graduation was unimportant. I mean, it’s been...

Edgartown: Learning something new

I sat down to write this column on Sunday night, and put it away. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the state of the world, and didn’t want to write from that vantage...

Edgartown: Collaborative fundraiser

We are officially in the high point of summer now, though things have definitely quieted down a little bit after the Fourth of July. It’s still busy, which I guess is good for the...

Edgartown: Summer activity picking up

I’ve heard stories of a crazy busy Island over the weekend, and I’ve seen some pictures on social media. But I have to admit, I laid low. We went shopping on Friday around 3:30,...

Edgartown: Making a difference

Well, if anyone was wondering if people were coming here this summer, the answer is a definite yes. No, it isn't the crowds we've experienced in recent years, but it's pretty busy. Busy enough...

Edgartown: Patience goes a long way

Time continues to fly at lightning speed. School officially ends this week, and summer break is here. It seems like the whole COVID-19 closure just started, but it's been a little over three months....

Edgartown: Continue to stay safe

I’m finding myself without words today as I sit down and write. I have so many thoughts in my head these days with everything going on in the world, the good and the bad,...

Edgartown: Honoring students and teachers

Did you hear the parade for the MVRHS seniors on Sunday? Or see it? Wow. It was so much fun. I had a ton of homework to do, and had forgotten that it was...

Edgartown: Coming together in strength

I find it almost impossible to write this column this week, as I find it almost impossible to do anything right now. I am so disheartened and dismayed by the state of our country....

Edgartown: Virtual ‘March to the Sea’

I have to start my column this week with telling you that if you haven’t gone to the Edgartown School’s webpage to view the video of the Virtual March to the Sea, you really...

Edgartown: Glimpse of summer

I don’t know about everyone else, but I sure am grateful for the calendar and reminder features on my calendar, so I have some knowledge of what day it is. Since most every day...

Edgartown: Safely welcoming the summer

Things are starting to wake up across the country and on our little Island. Restaurants are opening up again, for takeout food only for the time being, golf courses are allowed to open, and...