Home Town Columns Edgartown

Edgartown

Edgartown: Summer activity picking up

I’ve heard stories of a crazy busy Island over the weekend, and I’ve seen some pictures on social media. But I have to admit, I laid low. We went shopping on Friday around 3:30,...

Edgartown: Making a difference

Well, if anyone was wondering if people were coming here this summer, the answer is a definite yes. No, it isn't the crowds we've experienced in recent years, but it's pretty busy. Busy enough...

Edgartown: Patience goes a long way

Time continues to fly at lightning speed. School officially ends this week, and summer break is here. It seems like the whole COVID-19 closure just started, but it's been a little over three months....

Edgartown: Continue to stay safe

I’m finding myself without words today as I sit down and write. I have so many thoughts in my head these days with everything going on in the world, the good and the bad,...

Edgartown: Honoring students and teachers

Did you hear the parade for the MVRHS seniors on Sunday? Or see it? Wow. It was so much fun. I had a ton of homework to do, and had forgotten that it was...

Edgartown: Coming together in strength

I find it almost impossible to write this column this week, as I find it almost impossible to do anything right now. I am so disheartened and dismayed by the state of our country....

Edgartown: Virtual ‘March to the Sea’

I have to start my column this week with telling you that if you haven’t gone to the Edgartown School’s webpage to view the video of the Virtual March to the Sea, you really...

Edgartown: Glimpse of summer

I don’t know about everyone else, but I sure am grateful for the calendar and reminder features on my calendar, so I have some knowledge of what day it is. Since most every day...

Edgartown: Safely welcoming the summer

Things are starting to wake up across the country and on our little Island. Restaurants are opening up again, for takeout food only for the time being, golf courses are allowed to open, and...

Edgartown: Staying active and mindful

Welcome to spring. The sun is shining, the temperatures are warm, and more people are out and about. My niece Abby went for a swim the other day. You know, Island folk are very...

Edgartown: Joys of home with family

I have to say, I am completely shocked at how fast time is passing during this crazy spring. I can’t believe May arrives on Friday. Of course, that particular disbelief could come from the...

Edgartown: Try some virtual events

Welcome back to the latest episode of how to write an interesting column during a pandemic with stay-at-home orders. Are you all holding up OK? We live in a pretty protected place where, thankfully,...

Edgartown: The novelty has worn off

Well, we’re a solid four to five weeks into this pandemic. The novelty of the novel coronavirus has worn off for most of us, but at the same time we’re also hitting our stride...

Edgartown: Time to take care of yourself

As I sit down to write this week’s column, the sun has been shining and the temperature has been a little higher than it has been. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that it’s going to...

Edgartown: Staying home, staying busy

I need a schedule. All of this freewheeling staying at home isn’t good for me and I’m starting to go a little stir crazy. But I’m trying to learn some new things. Amelia and...

Edgartown: We’ll get through this together

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m struggling to know what day it is. As a result, I almost forgot to write my column this week. Thank goodness my phone shows...

Edgartown: surreal times

We are living in some pretty surreal times, aren’t we? Everyday life just gets weirder and weirder. Yesterday, I walked to the store for a few things and when I left, I walked home...

Edgartown: Signs of spring

Happy March. The weather has been lovely, flowers are in bloom, pinkletinks are back, and the birds are singing. Those are all sure signs of spring, and for me at least, a sign that...

Edgartown: Spring cleaning

Wow, what amazing weather. It’s still February, right? I had the heat off and my windows and doors open as I cleaned and organized the house today.  Being laid up for so long, I’m...

Edgartown: Back in business

I am delighted and grateful to share that I am sitting up nice and straight with a whole new outlook on life this week. I was able to get an epidural injection on Friday...