Sunday, July 3, 2022
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Perfect summer day

Here we are at the last day of June, and the beginning of Fourth of July weekend. Flags are flying, buntings are draped across porches, fences, and façades of buildings all around town. Plantings...

West Tisbury: Regular rain has been wonderful

This will be a short column this week. I think I’m dying, can’t concentrate, everything hurts, but I want to give everyone I saw at the end of last week and over the weekend...

West Tisbury: Farmers Market and Blooming Art

Rain. Rain. Rain. Two lovely days of soaking rain, followed by dry, sunny, temperate days. I wish it would stay that way. I am writing upstairs today, a change from my usual perch on our...

West Tisbury: Music Street Musicians

This weather has been lovely. Not too humid. Not too hot. It seems like we have had regular rain, but every time I dig in the garden I am surprised by how dry the...

West Tisbury: Marching to the sea

The view outside our windows changed last week, as the oak leaves appeared. Colors changed, too, from pink buds to a fleeting mixture of pink/yellow/green that will soon give way to the heavy, dark,...

West Tisbury: We live in the most beautiful place in the world

After a spate of gray, drizzly days, the sun finally came out for a beautiful weekend. We were spared the 90°-plus degree heat that weathermen had predicted. It was warm, but pleasant, the kind...

West Tisbury: A gift I never tired of

I have felt a mixture of sadness and gratitude all week since Tony Cordray died. Opening a box of eggs from Flying Skunk Farm has been a daily gift of the most delicious-tasting eggs...

West Tisbury: Dear Zeke

May flowers. May apples. Shadbush. Every day brings something new. That’s the magic of this time of year, and it all happens so quickly, seemingly overnight.  Harriet Bernstein’s cherry trees that I mentioned last week...

West Tisbury: Skipper Manter is retiring

I have heard the news that Skipper Manter is retiring from the police department, but I still can’t believe it. Skipper has been a policeman since way before I moved to town. George Manter,...

West Tisbury: We needed the wood stove

Another week of weather that changed by the minute, at least by the day. The wind last Tuesday almost blew Abby’s fur off. The rest of the week started with sunny mornings that quickly...

West Tisbury: Small-town New England

Congratulations to our new select board member, Jessica Miller.  Congratulations, too, to everyone who ran and was elected or reelected to positions in town. The candidates running for office and supporters of ballot questions had lovely...

West Tisbury: Problem solved

It’s been lovely waking up these past sunny mornings. For all my complaints last week about dark early mornings, I have just learned to sleep a little later. Problem solved. Still too cool for...

West Tisbury: Unusually early

“Weird” is the word I used in my notes to describe this past week’s weather. We have awakened to chilly, gray mornings that turn enticingly sunny by midday. By the time I get ready...

West Tisbury: A good story to pass along

Reminiscent of when children had to memorize poems in school, this one came into my head the other day, and has remained settled there. I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud By William Wordsworth I wandered lonely as...

West Tisbury: Crocuses buzzing with honeybees

I had been disappointed at what appeared to be a smaller number of crocuses this year. They have spread on their own over the years, popping up all through the back lawn. But on...

West Tisbury: Our table has suffered losses, too

You will be reading this on St. Patrick’s Day. I will be baking Irish soda bread for dinner tonight, to go with Diane Wall’s corned beef and cabbage, actually corned beef with lots of...

West Tisbury: Dick was a prolific science fiction writer

It’s been a mild, rainy weekend, following a chilly week with enough sunshine that I was happy to work outside. My snowdrops are lovely. I wish the yellow eranthis was spreading as vigorously. A...

West Tisbury: A whole week seems like a treasure

It’s stayed cold enough that our latest snow still coats the grass and crunches underfoot when I walk outside. Ice patches and ruts coat the driveway and paths through the yard. At last, it...

West Tisbury: Debby could do anything

My friend Debby Athearn died on Feb. 11. She was at home with her family by her bedside, much as any of us would wish when our time comes. Sunday couldn’t have been a prettier...

West Tisbury: A gift he thought was funny

The weather was so mild all last week that we had hardly needed a fire at night to warm up the house. Saturday morning was an exception. I came downstairs to find our living...