Friday, October 30, 2020
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Drive-through Halloween

It has been that hot, then cold, then hot again kind of weather this past week. I almost pulled out shorts to wear one morning. It can feel like sweater weather inside the house,...

West Tisbury: Farm market at Howes House

The wind blew and blew through the trees last week. I am eager for more sky. The oaks take the longest to lose their leaves, so there is still plenty of green in our...

West Tisbury: Outdoor library services

What could be better than being ensconced on my sofa, a.k.a. my writing and reading spot? A window is open to a soft breeze blowing on my cheek. Fresh coffee and my Oxford English...

West Tisbury: Musicians unite for project

It smells like fall when I walk outside. Our yard is blanketed with leaves — yellow, red, brown, some already crunchy underfoot, some remaining full and pliant. Mosses make a still brilliant green contrast...

West Tisbury: Town meeting at Tabernacle

Hermine Hull is under the weather; her column will return in next week’s issue. Meanwhile, she sends this reminder: West Tisbury's upcoming town meeting will convene at the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs on Tuesday,...

West Tisbury: Changes in the community

Last week was hot and sunny again, more summer-like weather than what I expect by now. Usually cool, crisp days begin as soon as September does, a welcome gift. By the weekend, it was...

West Tisbury: News about up-Island Cronig’s

Sunlight is filtering through the trees in our woods, reaching the ground in broad swaths and dappled patterns, green-gold, peach, and a muddy violet. These woods and the moving light within have sheltered me...

West Tisbury: Reading stories to a pup

The changing light at the beginning and end of the day has become noticeable, a little darker in the morning when I take Abby out and let Nelson in, a little darker at dinnertime....

West Tisbury: Islander stories to remember

I am watching birds splash around in the birdbath in our backyard. Nuthatches, chickadees, a tufted titmouse, five or six of them at once, congregating and chirping in their communal pool. The birdbath sits...

West Tisbury: Virtual Agricultural Fair

I have cried almost every day since Donald Trump became president, and can still feel the physicality of shock as I watched the returns on election night and realized he had won. His tenure...

West Tisbury: Blooms at Parsonage Pond

The Island feels a bit emptier today, as my dear Giulia Fleishman left on an early boat to head back to rabbinical school on the mainland. Connie Berry wrote a lovely interview with Giulia...

West Tisbury: It’s good to have friends with gardens

Another hot, humid week. We had a little rain, very little, just enough to wet the grass and cool the air for an hour or two. I have been avidly watching the progress of...

West Tisbury: Edible zucchini blossoms

It rained last Wednesday morning, the most beautiful sound. I wish it would have continued all day, but it stopped, quickly soaking in, then leaving the ground dry again. I could have wept. This...

West Tisbury: Toward a simpler lifestyle

Hazy, hot, and humid weather continued through last week and the weekend. I had hopes for some rain, but nothing. Our abundant spring rains are long gone, and we are having our usual summer...

West Tisbury: Slowing down, taking notice

White petals covered the lawn beneath a kousa dogwood tree in my backyard, making the ground look like there had been a summer snowfall, leaving the tree itself a tall green sentinel. The flowers...

West Tisbury: Finding a place of sanctuary

This morning I looked at an online map of coronavirus spread, and was shocked at the thick red areas covering much of our country. Mike and I continue to be surprised at how few...

West Tisbury: In touch with nature

Rain over the weekend brought relief to parched gardens and hose-weary gardeners. It has also washed away the pollen that has coated everything in a yellow pall. The humidity has diminished. Life under a...

West Tisbury: Emerging signs of summer

Summer formally arrived on June 20, the summer solstice and longest day of the year. The weather has been lovely, a string of sunny beach days. Multiflora and rugosa roses perfume the air. Fireflies...

West Tisbury: Preparing for a new season

I am writing this column early Monday morning, the 15th of June. It’s a gray morning, cool, a respite after a warm week. I hope it rains and relieves me of the job of...

West Tisbury: Looking to the future

If there is a more spectacular garden combination than orange Oriental poppies and dark purple Siberian iris, I don’t know what it is. That is what I am looking out at in my kitchen...