Saturday, August 15, 2020
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Blooms at Parsonage Pond

The Island feels a bit emptier today, as my dear Giulia Fleishman left on an early boat to head back to rabbinical school on the mainland. Connie Berry wrote a lovely interview with Giulia...

West Tisbury: It’s good to have friends with gardens

Another hot, humid week. We had a little rain, very little, just enough to wet the grass and cool the air for an hour or two. I have been avidly watching the progress of...

West Tisbury: Edible zucchini blossoms

It rained last Wednesday morning, the most beautiful sound. I wish it would have continued all day, but it stopped, quickly soaking in, then leaving the ground dry again. I could have wept. This...

West Tisbury: Toward a simpler lifestyle

Hazy, hot, and humid weather continued through last week and the weekend. I had hopes for some rain, but nothing. Our abundant spring rains are long gone, and we are having our usual summer...

West Tisbury: Slowing down, taking notice

White petals covered the lawn beneath a kousa dogwood tree in my backyard, making the ground look like there had been a summer snowfall, leaving the tree itself a tall green sentinel. The flowers...

West Tisbury: Finding a place of sanctuary

This morning I looked at an online map of coronavirus spread, and was shocked at the thick red areas covering much of our country. Mike and I continue to be surprised at how few...

West Tisbury: In touch with nature

Rain over the weekend brought relief to parched gardens and hose-weary gardeners. It has also washed away the pollen that has coated everything in a yellow pall. The humidity has diminished. Life under a...

West Tisbury: Emerging signs of summer

Summer formally arrived on June 20, the summer solstice and longest day of the year. The weather has been lovely, a string of sunny beach days. Multiflora and rugosa roses perfume the air. Fireflies...

West Tisbury: Preparing for a new season

I am writing this column early Monday morning, the 15th of June. It’s a gray morning, cool, a respite after a warm week. I hope it rains and relieves me of the job of...

West Tisbury: Looking to the future

If there is a more spectacular garden combination than orange Oriental poppies and dark purple Siberian iris, I don’t know what it is. That is what I am looking out at in my kitchen...

West Tisbury: Next phase of the season

Where to start. Over 100,000 Americans dead, over a million infected with coronavirus. Our country ablaze in violence after the merciless killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Yet I look out my window at...

West Tisbury: Decoration Day memories

I am writing this column on Monday morning, Memorial Day. The weekend brought heavy rain on Saturday, followed by bright sunshine on Sunday. Today the sky is rather gray, quiet and solemn like the...

West Tisbury: Flowering trees and bushes

The windows are wide open, sun pouring in, and the fragrance of new-mown grass. Mike is mowing for the first time this spring. The past few days have really felt like spring, and I...

West Tisbury: Hats off to the library

A new distraction appeared in our house moments ago. Mike brought in the cabinet he made for my dollhouse. It is more than I ever imagined. I wanted something with a big surface and...

West Tisbury: Local pottery shaping the way

“Tra la! It’s May! The lusty month of May! That lovely month when ev’ryone goes blissfully astray.” So sang Queen Guinevere in “Camelot,” a musical by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe. I remember the...

West Tisbury: Restoring inside and out

May 1 is right around the corner. Hard to believe, as we had frost last week, and there were a few mornings when the house was cold — 57 degrees, 61 degrees — when...

West Tisbury: A daffodil drive

It’s hard to start this week’s column. I don’t know what to say. I go back and forth between being grateful and being horrified. My life remains mostly constant, being home or in my garden,...

West Tisbury: We’re lucky to be here

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States was over 557,576 on this morning’s news, Monday, April 13, as I am writing this column. And 22,673 people have died in our country.  Here...

West Tisbury: Spring still springing up

We have another new baby in town. His name is Maxim Theodore Lowe, son of Julius and Milena Lowe, born on Sunday, March 29, at the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Welcome, Maxim. I look forward...

West Tisbury: Days have new rhythm

We have a new baby in town, a joyful and welcome occasion to note. Calib Martins Edwards was born on March 19, at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. He is safe and healthy at home with...