Sunday, January 17, 2021
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Town board nominations

It’s been so hard to sit down to write this week’s column. What can I possibly say? For all of us who were so eager to see the end of 2020, hoping for all...

West Tisbury: Town services

Our whole living room is perfumed by a pot of paperwhite narcissus that opened in time for New Year’s Day. Mike brought them home to me a couple of weeks ago. They were all...

West Tisbury: A fresh start in the new year

Hot, then cold, then hot again, then cold again. This weather is so unpredictable, one more unpredictable quality of an extremely unpredictable year. One can only hope that 2021 will be better. Most everyone...

West Tisbury: Holiday traditions

It will be Christmas Eve when you are reading this column. Christmas is always such a combination of emotions and activity for most of us. This year will have its own extra set of...

West Tisbury: Town festivities

A few odd flowers have appeared on two of the ornamental cherry trees in our yard. Nature is certainly full of surprises. It has still been fairly warm. I remember one year when Mike...

West Tisbury: Town life in ’70s and ’80s

It poured on Saturday afternoon, a drenching, wild, and windy rainstorm. A nor’easter. Our lights flickered off and on a few times, but mostly stayed on, lucky since I was baking Christmas cookies at...

West Tisbury: Festive holiday lights

As we approach the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, lights are going on earlier in the evenings both inside and out. Trees and porches, lamp posts and fence posts, all are...

West Tisbury: Holiday traditions

This Thanksgiving will be different. Forgive me for stating the obvious. Mike and I will be eating dinner alone for the first time in I don’t know how many years, since the time we both...

West Tisbury: Corn Pudding recipe

Another gorgeous week of sunshine and mild days, perfect for getting outside and doing some long-ignored chores around the yard. Now that the garden is getting cleaned up and perennials are being rearranged, it...

West Tisbury: Dorothy Parker quotes

Another glorious weekend with temperatures in the 70s. A new president. Twenty new cases of Covid on the Island, more than 10 million across the country. My mood runs the gamut between happiness and...

West Tisbury: Fall produce and flowers

I watched branches sway and leaves tossed in the air, then to the ground, as the wind howled through our woods this morning. It was barely light. Abby still snored on the sofa when I...

West Tisbury: Drive-through Halloween

It has been that hot, then cold, then hot again kind of weather this past week. I almost pulled out shorts to wear one morning. It can feel like sweater weather inside the house,...

West Tisbury: Farm market at Howes House

The wind blew and blew through the trees last week. I am eager for more sky. The oaks take the longest to lose their leaves, so there is still plenty of green in our...

West Tisbury: Outdoor library services

What could be better than being ensconced on my sofa, a.k.a. my writing and reading spot? A window is open to a soft breeze blowing on my cheek. Fresh coffee and my Oxford English...

West Tisbury: Musicians unite for project

It smells like fall when I walk outside. Our yard is blanketed with leaves — yellow, red, brown, some already crunchy underfoot, some remaining full and pliant. Mosses make a still brilliant green contrast...

West Tisbury: Town meeting at Tabernacle

Hermine Hull is under the weather; her column will return in next week’s issue. Meanwhile, she sends this reminder: West Tisbury's upcoming town meeting will convene at the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs on Tuesday,...

West Tisbury: Changes in the community

Last week was hot and sunny again, more summer-like weather than what I expect by now. Usually cool, crisp days begin as soon as September does, a welcome gift. By the weekend, it was...

West Tisbury: News about up-Island Cronig’s

Sunlight is filtering through the trees in our woods, reaching the ground in broad swaths and dappled patterns, green-gold, peach, and a muddy violet. These woods and the moving light within have sheltered me...

West Tisbury: Reading stories to a pup

The changing light at the beginning and end of the day has become noticeable, a little darker in the morning when I take Abby out and let Nelson in, a little darker at dinnertime....

West Tisbury: Islander stories to remember

I am watching birds splash around in the birdbath in our backyard. Nuthatches, chickadees, a tufted titmouse, five or six of them at once, congregating and chirping in their communal pool. The birdbath sits...
>