Saturday, January 22, 2022
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Packing up the holidays

Our Island weather remains a mystery from day to day. I like to watch it happen and be surprised, rather than following the Weather Channel throughout the day. It was lovely to wake up...

West Tisbury: The sun is finally out

The sun is finally out after a long week of gray, gloomy, drizzly days. It’s in the 50s and expected to remain so through the holiday weekend, dropping back to more seasonal 20s and...

West Tisbury: Last minute holiday shopping

The electric candles are alight in our windows, brightening the dark night. Dec. 21 is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, after which each day will lengthen by 2 minutes, 7...

West Tisbury: It was as it was

The sky was wild this morning, Monday, when I looked out of our east-facing bedroom windows. Bright red with yellow streaks that turned a psychedelic chartreuse, then a neon green. By the time I...

West Tisbury: It will be fine

It’s been such a busy week, as weeks in December tend to be. So much to do to get ready for holidays added to our regular schedules, which were already busy enough. Mike and I...

West Tisbury: It wasn’t much of a snow

Mike and I saw snow Sunday morning when we walked Abby. It wasn’t much of a snow, more a fine moisture, but colored enough to no longer be considered rain. If the old adage...

West Tisbury: I was very lucky

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I have nothing but happy memories, which makes me lucky, I know. My mother always made a festive dinner and gathered as many relatives and friends as she could....

West Tisbury: I can see the sky

I can see the sky! After all the storms and wind, enough of the leaves have fallen that there are clear patches of sky above our yard and through our woods, enough to see...

West Tisbury: Birthday cake for breakfast

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Veterans Day. My father’s and brother Mark’s birthdays. My brother-in-law Edward’s, too. It was always a festive day in our house when I...

West Tisbury: Kent will be missed

The sky has been so dark and clear at night since the nor’easter last week. Stars appear more numerous, the moon a mere sickle-shaped sliver. The thermometer read 38 degrees this morning when I...

West Tisbury: One of my favorite weekends of the year

This is one of my favorite weekends of the year. First off, Chilmark School has a half-day today, so Iyla and I get to have lunch together, read extra books, and play with our...

West Tisbury: So many chores

October really is such a beautiful month. The light has changed to crystal clarity. It’s lower in the sky, hitting the still-leafy trees and making them sparkle like a tossing of Iyla’s green glitter....

West Tisbury: The many gifts of animals

Nine or 10 years ago, my mother-in-law asked me to accompany her to the animal shelter to see a cat she planned to adopt, a pretty, year-old calico who had already had a litter...

West Tisbury: Harvest Festival

Roly-polies and mushrooms are the latest hot topic in West Tisbury. They are everywhere and seemingly in numbers and varieties worthy of note. Both are affected by the damp, rainy conditions which we have...

West Tisbury: Fire protection and safety

I am looking out the window at the changing colors across the tops of trees and shrubs I have planted over the years that Mike and I have had our home here in West...

West Tisbury: Island artists

It was cold this morning, Monday, 48 degrees when I checked the thermometer outside our kitchen window, a morning for hot coffee, wool socks, and a quilt across my lap. Abby and the cats...

West Tisbury: Memories of 9/11

So much conversation this week has been about where we were and how we became aware of the events of September 11, 2001. TV news has covered and recovered it, with ceremonies, reminiscences, readings...

West Tisbury: Alley’s General Store

Alley’s is open! I went up to check it out and found the store open, filled with customers, looking much like itself. The shelves aren’t yet filled with everything, but April and Michael Levandowski...

West Tisbury: Artisans Festival

Where some see the past couple of cooler days and nights as a welcome respite from the endless heat of summer, there are others who bemoan them as an unwelcome sign of fall and...

West Tisbury: Storm preparation

I woke up during the night, about 4 am, and took Abby outside. The air was heavy and wet and the only sound was of surf pounding ashore in the distance. This was Monday...