Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Signs of the season

Sunny with cloudless blue skies is today’s weather, and predicted to remain so for most of the weekend. Maybe a little rain on Sunday that I hope will come late enough for the Easter...

West Tisbury: Polly Hill Arboretum

Daffodils are blooming in a bright yellow crowd across the south-facing front of the old police station. Chief Manter took such pride in them, always the earliest, always by April 1. His April Fool’s...

West Tisbury: Plant nursery centers

I was happily surprised to wake up Friday morning to snow blowing past my windows. It had already coated the ground and looked like it might be settling in for a blustery, snow-long day....

West Tisbury: March celebrations

I have just been outside walking barefoot in my yard, the first time this year. The weather has been unbelievable, a whole week of those perfect early spring days that feel warm at 45...

West Tisbury: In remembrance

Spring has officially arrived in our house. Nelson brought in his first mouse of the season. He is currently surveying the scene from his carpeted cat perch in our sunroom/greenhouse while Abby is pacing...

West Tisbury: Icing on a winter cake

There is a pair of old adirondack chairs in our backyard, just behind the house where I like to drink coffee and read when the weather is pleasant. Adirondack chairs are perfect for both...

West Tisbury: Former residents

Glancing quickly out my window, I see a scattering of white blossoms on some of the shrubs and trees in our woods, delicate and airy like the first flowers on our cherry trees in...

West Tisbury: First responders

We had an early start to the day when Mike rushed down the stairs and out the door, heading to a smoke alarm call on Lambert’s Cove Road. It was a little past 6...

West Tisbury: Democratic Council of M.V.

There is nothing sillier to watch than a puppy playing in the snow. I have always thought Charles Schultz captured it perfectly in his drawings of Snoopy with his ears up, dancing on tip-toes,...

West Tisbury: The beauty of winter

It’s snowing! Finally. It started a little after breakfast Monday morning and is looking like it will keep up all day. The weather reports have predicted a real storm all along the East Coast....

West Tisbury: Winter tea parties

The end of January already and still no snow other than a few wind-blown flakes, just enough to get me excited. By the time I have run to the window, it is over. Kathy Logue...

West Tisbury: Internet diversions

We have an early deadline for our columns this week because Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so I have spent Friday thinking about what to write. Thinking. Or research. Call it what...

West Tisbury: Town board nominations

It’s been so hard to sit down to write this week’s column. What can I possibly say? For all of us who were so eager to see the end of 2020, hoping for all...

West Tisbury: Town services

Our whole living room is perfumed by a pot of paperwhite narcissus that opened in time for New Year’s Day. Mike brought them home to me a couple of weeks ago. They were all...

West Tisbury: A fresh start in the new year

Hot, then cold, then hot again, then cold again. This weather is so unpredictable, one more unpredictable quality of an extremely unpredictable year. One can only hope that 2021 will be better. Most everyone...

West Tisbury: Holiday traditions

It will be Christmas Eve when you are reading this column. Christmas is always such a combination of emotions and activity for most of us. This year will have its own extra set of...

West Tisbury: Town festivities

A few odd flowers have appeared on two of the ornamental cherry trees in our yard. Nature is certainly full of surprises. It has still been fairly warm. I remember one year when Mike...

West Tisbury: Town life in ’70s and ’80s

It poured on Saturday afternoon, a drenching, wild, and windy rainstorm. A nor’easter. Our lights flickered off and on a few times, but mostly stayed on, lucky since I was baking Christmas cookies at...

West Tisbury: Festive holiday lights

As we approach the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, lights are going on earlier in the evenings both inside and out. Trees and porches, lamp posts and fence posts, all are...

West Tisbury: Holiday traditions

This Thanksgiving will be different. Forgive me for stating the obvious. Mike and I will be eating dinner alone for the first time in I don’t know how many years, since the time we both...
>