Monday, October 18, 2021
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: The many gifts of animals

Nine or 10 years ago, my mother-in-law asked me to accompany her to the animal shelter to see a cat she planned to adopt, a pretty, year-old calico who had already had a litter...

West Tisbury: Harvest Festival

Roly-polies and mushrooms are the latest hot topic in West Tisbury. They are everywhere and seemingly in numbers and varieties worthy of note. Both are affected by the damp, rainy conditions which we have...

West Tisbury: Fire protection and safety

I am looking out the window at the changing colors across the tops of trees and shrubs I have planted over the years that Mike and I have had our home here in West...

West Tisbury: Island artists

It was cold this morning, Monday, 48 degrees when I checked the thermometer outside our kitchen window, a morning for hot coffee, wool socks, and a quilt across my lap. Abby and the cats...

West Tisbury: Memories of 9/11

So much conversation this week has been about where we were and how we became aware of the events of September 11, 2001. TV news has covered and recovered it, with ceremonies, reminiscences, readings...

West Tisbury: Alley’s General Store

Alley’s is open! I went up to check it out and found the store open, filled with customers, looking much like itself. The shelves aren’t yet filled with everything, but April and Michael Levandowski...

West Tisbury: Artisans Festival

Where some see the past couple of cooler days and nights as a welcome respite from the endless heat of summer, there are others who bemoan them as an unwelcome sign of fall and...

West Tisbury: Storm preparation

I woke up during the night, about 4 am, and took Abby outside. The air was heavy and wet and the only sound was of surf pounding ashore in the distance. This was Monday...

West Tisbury: Tweed Roosevelt’s relatives

By the time you are reading this the 159th Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Fair will have begun. Exhibits inside the hall will have been catalogued, arranged, and displayed. Judges will have decided which dilly beans...

West Tisbury: Cleaveland House Poets

Queen Anne’s Lace shimmers, a caesura between green fields And blue summer skies. I hope everyone will forgive me for my attempt at haiku at the start of this week’s column. My second line has one syllable...

West Tisbury: Dionis Coffin Riggs Day

August. The summer is rushing by. I remember hearing that time seems to go faster the older one gets. It certainly feels true. One week I type in the first week of a new...

West Tisbury: Skunk-off shampoo

It finally rained on Sunday. It was pleasant to enjoy the previous days of sunshine and not much humidity, but we needed the rain, and I was happy to listen to it patter outside...

West Tisbury: Book sale and doozying up

Mornings have been overcast. A few days have turned sunny by the afternoon, but most have remained the archetypal hazy, hot, and humid most of us expect of summer weather. I wish it would...

West Tisbury: Joys of summer

It’s the prelude to 4th of July weekend, a quietly rainy Friday of what may turn out to be a quietly rainy holiday weekend. I am grateful that our house is set back in...

West Tisbury: Springtime flowers

June is one of the most beautiful months on the Vineyard. Here we are at the beginning of it. The earth and air and water that slowly warmed through May has made good on...

West Tisbury: Artisans and galleries

Here we are at the start of the Memorial Day weekend, the start of the summer season on the Island. I wish I felt excited about it, but I never do. It already feels...

West Tisbury: Farm stands now open

I hate getting up and out first thing in the morning. Mornings are for coffee and the newspaper, for walking outside with Abby to see what’s new in the garden, for savoring the start...

West Tisbury: Town history and traditions

It has been another golden week of warm days. We could use some rain, as the ground is quite dry, but it’s hard not to enjoy a string of lovely days. Everything is turning...

West Tisbury: Edward Steichen photography

This past week has been one of such sweetness. Every year I relish each minute change. This week it is the appearance of the shadbush, that most delicate and subtle of blossoming trees. It...

West Tisbury: Blooming flower bulbs

We have had beautiful gardening weather this past week. Warm, sunny days lure me outside to rake and weed and fertilize, to plant the daffodils that filled pots on our porches for Easter, but...
>