Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Skunk-off shampoo

It finally rained on Sunday. It was pleasant to enjoy the previous days of sunshine and not much humidity, but we needed the rain, and I was happy to listen to it patter outside...

West Tisbury: Book sale and doozying up

Mornings have been overcast. A few days have turned sunny by the afternoon, but most have remained the archetypal hazy, hot, and humid most of us expect of summer weather. I wish it would...

West Tisbury: Joys of summer

It’s the prelude to 4th of July weekend, a quietly rainy Friday of what may turn out to be a quietly rainy holiday weekend. I am grateful that our house is set back in...

West Tisbury: Springtime flowers

June is one of the most beautiful months on the Vineyard. Here we are at the beginning of it. The earth and air and water that slowly warmed through May has made good on...

West Tisbury: Artisans and galleries

Here we are at the start of the Memorial Day weekend, the start of the summer season on the Island. I wish I felt excited about it, but I never do. It already feels...

West Tisbury: Farm stands now open

I hate getting up and out first thing in the morning. Mornings are for coffee and the newspaper, for walking outside with Abby to see what’s new in the garden, for savoring the start...

West Tisbury: Town history and traditions

It has been another golden week of warm days. We could use some rain, as the ground is quite dry, but it’s hard not to enjoy a string of lovely days. Everything is turning...

West Tisbury: Edward Steichen photography

This past week has been one of such sweetness. Every year I relish each minute change. This week it is the appearance of the shadbush, that most delicate and subtle of blossoming trees. It...

West Tisbury: Blooming flower bulbs

We have had beautiful gardening weather this past week. Warm, sunny days lure me outside to rake and weed and fertilize, to plant the daffodils that filled pots on our porches for Easter, but...

West Tisbury: Changes with aging

I just finished reading Charles M. Blow’s column, “My Second Phase of Adulthood,” in Monday morning’s New York Times. I wish I had written it myself, as it deals with some of the thoughts...

West Tisbury: Up-Island Cronig’s

Well, it’s been another week of weather. Pleasant and spring-like one day, then back to winter the next. I have seen people in shorts already, then back to wearing down jackets. It’s a good...

West Tisbury: Signs of the season

Sunny with cloudless blue skies is today’s weather, and predicted to remain so for most of the weekend. Maybe a little rain on Sunday that I hope will come late enough for the Easter...

West Tisbury: Polly Hill Arboretum

Daffodils are blooming in a bright yellow crowd across the south-facing front of the old police station. Chief Manter took such pride in them, always the earliest, always by April 1. His April Fool’s...

West Tisbury: Plant nursery centers

I was happily surprised to wake up Friday morning to snow blowing past my windows. It had already coated the ground and looked like it might be settling in for a blustery, snow-long day....

West Tisbury: March celebrations

I have just been outside walking barefoot in my yard, the first time this year. The weather has been unbelievable, a whole week of those perfect early spring days that feel warm at 45...

West Tisbury: In remembrance

Spring has officially arrived in our house. Nelson brought in his first mouse of the season. He is currently surveying the scene from his carpeted cat perch in our sunroom/greenhouse while Abby is pacing...

West Tisbury: Icing on a winter cake

There is a pair of old adirondack chairs in our backyard, just behind the house where I like to drink coffee and read when the weather is pleasant. Adirondack chairs are perfect for both...

West Tisbury: Former residents

Glancing quickly out my window, I see a scattering of white blossoms on some of the shrubs and trees in our woods, delicate and airy like the first flowers on our cherry trees in...

West Tisbury: First responders

We had an early start to the day when Mike rushed down the stairs and out the door, heading to a smoke alarm call on Lambert’s Cove Road. It was a little past 6...

West Tisbury: Democratic Council of M.V.

There is nothing sillier to watch than a puppy playing in the snow. I have always thought Charles Schultz captured it perfectly in his drawings of Snoopy with his ears up, dancing on tip-toes,...
>