Sunday, December 4, 2022
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Santa will be at Station II, our town party, and Minnesingers perform

I woke up during the night, and looking out at the sky, I was amazed at how brightly the stars shone. They appeared larger, too. Maybe it was just my imagination, although as the...

West Tisbury: Friendsgiving luncheon, and corn pudding recipe

It was cold this morning and the sky was a flat gray. It looked and felt like snow. The news showed a reporter standing amidst swirling snowflakes in three feet of snow in Buffalo....

West Tisbury: Island Made Holidays, orchids and amaryllis, and Nelson the cat

Typical New England weather gave us another week of never knowing if it would be warm or cold when we opened the door in the morning. There was a spectacular red moon on Tuesday,...

West Tisbury: Friendsgiving, and National Family Caregivers Month

I’m wearing shorts as I sit here writing this week’s column. The temperature is in the 70s. Hot. We still have our windows and doors open. I don’t think we have had more than...

West Tisbury: Ticks have been horrible, and Foc’s’le Locker bookstore

November is the best month of the year. My birthday and Thanksgiving are both in November. The weather is usually still pleasantly warm and the colors are lovely. On our walk with Abby, we...

West Tisbury: Almost Halloween, and costume party

It’s almost Halloween. The air smells like fall, that mix of dry and dust and rotting leaves. My memories of childhood Halloweens have me kicking piles of leaves in the air as I walked...

West Tisbury: Wee Fairie Village, and an interesting dinner party

I don’t know what the weather was like on the Island. I was off-Island, a world away in Old Saybrook, Conn., spending the whole wonderful weekend with my darling Iyla at her Granny Mary...

West Tisbury: Howes House focus groups, and Crop Walk

What a wild week of weather. Rainy, raw, windy days followed by days that felt like summer redux. All you can do is wear layers this time of year. It was a busy weekend of...

West Tisbury: Bulb Planting Day, jazz concert, and Milton Mazer

I can’t complain about any lack of rain. Reality will be digging in the garden and finding the soil moist and crumbly a ways down, or still dry. I am hopeful that it will...

West Tisbury: New knitting group

Windy and cool, lovely weather. When I went out the other day, everyone was wearing sweaters and scarves. We have shut our doors the past couple of nights, which I hate, but it’s been...

West Tisbury: Living history

I am sad to begin this week’s column with an announcement of the death of our friend, Mark Weiner. Mark and his wife, Michiko, had been the faces of Vineyard Glassworks in West Tisbury....

West Tisbury: William Blakesly art exhibits

It’s been a damp week, no real rain, just an overcast wetness like living inside a cloud. It’s still dry as you dig into the ground. The shallow-rooted rhododendrons and young trees look as...

West Tisbury: Memories new and old

Because of Labor Day, we have an early deadline for our columns, so I can’t give much of a report on the weather, as it won’t have happened yet. I am, as always, waiting...

West Tisbury: Woods sigh in relief

While not exactly “a song of praise or triumph,” as my Oxford English Dictionary defines it, I begin this column with a paean to rain. Specifically, a paean to the long, soaking, much-needed rain...

West Tisbury: Busy summer weekend

I hadn’t planned on writing a column this week, as I intended to go to my 55th Ridgefield High School class of 1967 reunion. A classmate, Marilou Serfilippi, has organized all of our reunions...

West Tisbury: Agricultural Fair

Two big events on August 18. My darling Iyla will turn 6. Her party is scheduled for early in the day, so everyone can continue on to the 160th Agricultural Fair. Take a look at...

West Tisbury: The thirst of the land

Despite remaining gray for most of the day last Monday, our rainfall amounted to barely a drop-and-a-half. I went out the next morning and dug my hand into the soil; it was still dusty...

West Tisbury: Parsonage Pond

The first white mallow flowers have appeared among the greenery around Parsonage Pond. The ever-changing arrangements of shapes and colors at Parsonage, even though it is mostly a filled-in marshland now, and at the...

West Tisbury: Hot, dry days and nights

My husband has left me. Bad enough if it were for another woman, but I have been abandoned for a bright red Troy-Bilt lawn tractor. I have always known and accepted Mike’s attraction to tools,...

West Tisbury: Midsummer weather

The air is redolent of freshly cut lawns and hayfields. It must have been a good haying, as we have had no rain for at least the past couple of weeks. It hasn’t even...