Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Home Town Columns West Tisbury

West Tisbury

West Tisbury: Museum exhibits, Polly Hill Arboretum, jazz documentary, and piano concert

It’s been an on-and-off rainy week. Sometimes the rain and wind lashes our windows with vigor; at other times it has the softness and warmth of spring. Everything is muddy, as is Abigail when...

West Tisbury: Great Pond, daffodil sale, M.V. Democrats, and Johnson & Ryan concert

Last Tuesday was the sort of day that makes one glad to be alive, especially in midwinter, when it is such an unexpected treasure. The temperature was in the 50s. The sky was a...

West Tisbury: Spring break, soup and bread lunches, and town voting system

It’s the last day of this Leap Year in February. Funny to have such a simple solution every four years to straighten out our calendar. It’s also school vacation week, so it may feel quieter...

West Tisbury: Early voting, soup and bread lunches, Howe’s House, and Jennie Greene

Watching the snow falling Tuesday morning, I kept hearing in my head the lyrics to “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’” from “Oklahoma” by Rodgers and Hammerstein. Of course, I was looking at my snowy...

West Tisbury: Rez Williams, jazz concert, voting by mail, and Ghost Island Farm

I have been watching forsythia getting ready to bloom, branches I brought inside a week or so ago. Their buds are no longer tightly brown. I can see yellow now, and maybe they will...

West Tisbury: Leading up to presidential primary

The past week has been one gray day after another. A shaft of sunlight may come through by mid-afternoon, but I can’t remember waking up to a blue sky with sunshine pouring through the...

West Tisbury: Snowdrops, baby lambs, community suppers, and library programs

It’s been another week of storms, rain, and wind. Our one snowstorm covered the ground, leaving a snow-washed landscape before it disappeared. It’s turned cold, too, and the ground feels hard underfoot. Probably not...

West Tisbury: Covid, Parks and Recreation, Howes House trip, and library programs

It’s been a week of storms, of heavy rain and winds that scoured the beaches, and flooded roadways and basements across the Island. Big waves. Branches down. Squishy, muddy walkways. There were a few...

West Tisbury: Winter wellness, jazz concert, kindness rocks, and Aging Gracefully

After complaining about the lack of snow so far this winter, I was happy to look out my windows Sunday afternoon to see snowflakes blowing through the treetops. Our house, having an upstairs, gives...

West Tisbury: Snowless winters, Tony Rezendes, planners, and Covid

Walking around the yard, I have seen a few forsythia and cherry blossoms. I suppose I could bring some branches inside to force, but the beginning of January feels too soon for that. Boxwood,...

West Tisbury: Winter solstice, Carl Widdiss tree, and Athearn family

What a week we have had. After the rain last Monday, it’s been warm and sunny through the rest of the week. No need for a coat during the day, although it does feel...

West Tisbury: Haynes Point tree, dollhouses, holiday party, and David Stanwood concert

We had some frosty cold days this past week. Seeing our rhododendron leaves shriveled up into themselves makes it all so visible. I had the pleasure, when driving home one afternoon last week, of seeing...

West Tisbury: Trips off-Island, holiday decorations, town party, jazz concert, and Circuit Arts

The weather has stayed mild most of the past week, our lovely long temperate autumn that makes up for our endlessly cool springs. Oddly, though, I saw a few snow flurries. Just a few,...

West Tisbury: Ukulele Jam, author talks, town potluck, Christmas Faire, and the night sky

Thanksgiving is over. November almost is, too. Tomorrow will be Dec. 1. Station 1 put up their lights after a radio check this morning. Middletown Nursery looks like a fantasyland aglow, trees, buildings, arbors all...

West Tisbury: Pop-up book sale, Up-Island Council on Aging trips, and Planning Board

We have had a beautiful few days, cold enough for morning frosts, then sunny and clear during the days, cold again once the sun goes down. A little fire warms the house up nicely...

West Tisbury: Corn pudding time

A rimy haze coated our roofs and lawn this morning. There had been a few chilly mornings, but this was a real frost, and the house felt cold. I made a fire to warm...

West Tisbury: Farmer’s Market, turkey dinner, town visioning workshop, and Charlie Parton

When my brother, Andy, called me Tuesday morning to wish me a happy birthday, he said it was snowing in Redding. Just a few flakes, but snow, nonetheless. Snow on Nov. 1 is remarkable,...

West Tisbury: Autumn memories, fire department, Barn Raisers Ball, and Music Street Musicians

It was warm all week, in the 70s, then back into the 50s for the weekend. Partly sunny, partly gray. Yellow and browns predominate, as the cherry and oak leaves begin to turn. I...

West Tisbury: Bob Fischer, Green House Project, Gayle Gardens, and Halloween party

“Howdy, Neighbor,” was Bob Fischer’s customary greeting, whether he had walked up the path through the woods between our houses, driven down our driveway in his truck, met unexpectedly at the Post Office, or...

West Tisbury: Autumn colors, Harvest Festival, Seed Library, book clubs, and drawing group

It looks like an abstract expressionist painting outside my windows. The burning bush I planted 40 years ago, before they were discouraged as invasive, has provided an ever-changing palette of color every fall. I...