Thursday, June 30, 2022

Tisbury

Tisbury: Wonderful people

Heard on Main Street: “Reading gives us something to do when we have to stay somewhere.”  We are so blessed with the wonderful people who work and live here on this Island. I have come...

Tisbury: Summer gathering and ‘Flicka’ stories

Kay Mayhew is ill, but will return soon. In the meantime, she passes along these items of Tisbury interest that reached her this week.  The Tisbury Senior Center invites all to a beginning-of-summer get-together at...

Tisbury: Nature journaling

Heard on Main Street: One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young. Have you ever thought of becoming a foster parent?...

Tisbury: New changes all over our town

Heard on Main Street: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. Last February, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II became the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service...

Tisbury: Flags will be waving

Heard on Main Street: Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else. I am sorry for giving you the wrong dates for drawing with Elizabeth Whelan. Elizabeth Whelan’s classes on nature sketching are next...

Tisbury: Make sure your vote counts

Updated May 19 Heard on Main Street: Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving. If you find meditation helpful, you may want to take advantage of the Island Insight Meditation Community. Their...

Tisbury: A phenomenal upset

Heard on Main Street: When in doubt, just take the next small step. I can’t believe I missed the Kentucky Derby this year. A phenomenal upset, with a horse carrying odds of 80 to 1...

Tisbury: Celebrate all mothers

Heard on Main Street: Laughter makes the world a happier place. Wishing everyone a happy Mother’s Day on Sunday. Celebrate all mothers, including your own. I remember as a child in Sunday school, we were...

Tisbury: Beautiful blossoms

Heard on Main Street: Take a deep breath. It calms the mind. Weren’t we all delighted to enjoy a few days of warm — and dry — weather last week? Everyone was smiling as we...

Tisbury: Clough Lane is so glorious

Heard on Main Street: Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch. The Bradford pear trees began blooming just in time for Easter. Clough...

Tisbury: The bug on the windshield

Heard on Main Street: Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield. I feel as if I‘m the bug on the windshield. I keep going back to lose again — at least when...

Tisbury: Town meeting is on Tuesday, April 12

Heard on Main Street: Have you noticed? Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. Next Monday, April 11, is this season’s final Monday Night Movie. This time you can enjoy...

Tisbury: Mark your calendar now

Heard on Main Street: Everyone has a photographic memory. Some of us just don’t have any film.  I was happy to hear from vice chair Rita Jeffers about the progress on the Tisbury School building...

Tisbury: Ready for more sunshine and warmth

Heard on Main Street: Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once. I am so looking forward to a repeat of the sunny days we enjoyed last week. And ready for more sunshine...

Tisbury: I still feel that bit of special happiness

Heard on Main Street: When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane. When I was growing up, St. Patrick’s Day meant that everyone you knew was trying to wear green — or at...

Tisbury: We do have some foster parents — but not enough

Heard on Main Street: You have three sizes of clothes in your closet — two of which you will never wear.  I had a wonderful birthday. It lasted about a week, and was special in...

Tisbury: March is Women’s History Month

Heard on Main Street: Don't be yourself — be someone nicer. If you know that March is Women's History Month, you can appreciate why the Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse is honoring these film divas for March,...

Tisbury: New book about the Mayhew house

Heard on Main Street: If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. Some of us are slow learners. Feb. 22 will always be Washington’s Birthday to me. I love knowing that...

Tisbury: Warmer than winter ought to be

Heard on Main Street: If I were wrong, don’t you think I’d know? I hate to change my mind. I complained that I didn’t like the really cold weather, still true, but was also unhappy...

Tisbury: Think about it

Heard on Main Street: I suppose February is just trying to prove itself the stormiest month of all. That is getting old fast. If it’s not slippery, it’s wet and messy. I also heard...