Saturday, August 15, 2020

Tisbury

Tisbury: Wild summer antics near and far

Heard on Main Street: Sometimes when I open my mouth, my mother comes out. Driving slowly on Lagoon Pond Road is usually necessary, but one morning last week more so than usual. Two boys on...

Tisbury: Be mindful of bike riders

Heard on Main Street: Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how. Wear a mask. Best wishes go to Myra Stark. Accidents are always startling, and it seems to take a while to...

Tisbury: Local foraging delights

Heard on Main Street: Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint, and he has to touch it. I am so happy when...

Tisbury: Mystery packages

Heard on Main Street: I actually wore a sweater last week. It was rather nice. This is July, right? The large numbers of cars and people crowding our Island make it hard to realize that...

Tisbury: Upcoming literature series

Heard on Main Street: If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it. We are all tired of masks and that whole issue. Today I saw some people,...

Tisbury: Special gala from Playhouse

Heard on Main Street: It’s still true. I have to exercise early in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing. I do keep talking about my blessings, and today I had another...

Tisbury: Living fully in the moment

Heard on Main Street: Don’t take yourself too seriously. No one else does. There is nothing that delights a mother more than to hear, “Mom, I’m home!” Especially when the mother hasn’t seen that child...

Tisbury: One step at a time

Heard on Main Street: Never test the depth of the water with both feet. Tisbury voters are to be commended for their splendid turnout for the town meeting. Was it just that everyone needed to...

Tisbury: A new chapter in the world

Heard on Main Street: Take a deep breath. It calms the mind. Thank you to whoever came up with the idea to put up signs across our neighborhoods to remind us to celebrate our local...

Tisbury: Stepping out into the world

Heard on Main Street: Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it. Welcome home to Johanna Roses Robichau. She is slowly recovering from...

Tisbury: Open to simplicity and kindness

Heard on Main Street: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. I am sure that you don’t need to be warned that a close friend’s email may ask you for money or to...

Tisbury: Reach out to local businesses

Heard on Main Street: You did fly the flag on Monday, right? Last Friday morning I was thinking about the children in their Memorial Day parade taking flowers to the harbor. When those kids toss...

Tisbury: Shared around the world

Heard on Main Street: You are too blessed to be stressed. My friend, Joan Druett, is a maritime historian and well-known writer who lives in New Zealand. Like all of us, she is in lockdown....

Tisbury: Delightful surprises everywhere

Heard on Main Street: It’s OK to admit that chocolate helps. And isn’t it wonderful to have The MV Times in our hands again? It is hard to believe that when I last saw my son...

Tisbury: Holding a deeper connection

Heard on Main Street: “There’s nothing brave about running into traffic just because you can.” If those bearded screaming men with military firearms are American Patriots, don’t call me that. I prefer to simply...

Tisbury: The calming sights of nature

Heard on Main Street: “A man can stand anything, except a succession of ordinary days.” Those are the wise words of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. The poet, novelist, and playwright died a century ago but...

Tisbury: A new world

Heard on Main Street: The less time I have to work with, the more things I get done. These last several weeks have made that so clear. I have all the time in the world...

Tisbury: Your vote is needed

Heard on Main Street: This too shall pass. By next winter? I hope you enjoyed the sunshine on Easter. I had a lovely holiday, complete with a chocolate Easter bunny, jellybeans, and an Easter lily...

Tisbury: Set news boundaries for yourself

Heard on Main Street: Ignoring the facts does not change the facts. That doesn’t mean you have to focus on them all the time.  Sometimes it’s hard to take advice from your kids. I wasn’t...

Tisbury: Grateful for friendships

Heard on Main Street: When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. Can it be April already? Lovely golden forsythia and grounded sunshine in daffodils? Blue skies don’t hurt either. It seems silly....