Friday, January 28, 2022

Tisbury

Tisbury: We all need to support our library

Heard on Main Street: COVID-19 makes you wonder about old sayings: “However good or bad a situation is, it will change.” We keep hoping, though. The Vineyard Haven library did reach the goal to build...

Tisbury: We are just so lucky

Heard on Main Street: If your New Year’s resolution is already gone, try a new one. Make peace with your past so it won't mess up the present. Or you could try what my daughter...

Tisbury: Serving up Community Suppers

Heard on Main Street: Why is a carrot more orange than an orange? Something that rarely happens in today’s world: We will celebrate Martin Luther King’s birthday on his actual birthday. Our bit of snow last...

Tisbury: I love our Island libraries

Heard on Main Street: You are too blessed to be stressed. I am sorry the Net Result will be closed until Jan. 27. They offer something special every day. My heart aches for so many people...

Tisbury: The time to reflect

Heard on Main Street: Women and cats do as they please. Men and dogs should learn to live with it. You do know that is just a variation on one of the laws of nature....

Tisbury: A wonderful holiday treat

Heard on Main Street: Sometimes understanding what a woman wants is difficult. It’s like trying to figure out what color the letter seven smells like. I hope you’ve enjoyed the terrific window displays on Main...

Tisbury: Never such a thing as enforcement

Heard on Main Street: If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. Here’s a reminder that Sunday's holiday open house at the Tisbury Senior Center scheduled for this Sunday...

Tisbury: Those cold days

Heard on Main Street: Perhaps you should take time to relax and enjoy the little things. Not sure what to think about this weather. It is 50 degrees one day and 30 the next. I...

Tisbury: Unusual holidays

Heard on Main Street: Going to the ferry last Sunday, the 16-year-old noticed the snow in the air and said, “It isn’t supposed to be snowing yet.” Just a few years ago she’d have...

Tisbury: I’m quite proud of myself

Heard on Main Street: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good. The Louisa Gould Gallery invites you to their annual Holiday Small Wonders Show, offering new affordable artworks in...

Tisbury: Don’t take yourself too seriously

Heard on Main Street: Don’t take yourself too seriously; no one else does. The Vineyard Haven library now welcomes visitors to the children’s room, though there is a time limit of 25 minutes and a...

Tisbury: Better to be safe when you can

Heard on Main Street: Fly the flag. It’s Veterans Day. You’d never know it wasn’t still summer. Most weekends it is impossible to book any ferries. I don't remember these problems in the past. Although...

Tisbury: Red wine with chocolate bars

Whether it comes from Hallmark or is heard on Main Street: It’s important to remember: white wine with candy corn and red wine with chocolate bars. Have you made your donation to support our library’s...

Tisbury: Booster shots

I am sorry to hear Polly Renear died. She and Bob had been such good friends in so many ways. I first met Polly about 35 years ago when we moved back to the...

Tisbury: Holidays and events

Heard on Main Street: Spirits rise in the fall … Everyone over 65 has the same question. How on earth will we ever get that booster shot? You get told to call the hospital. And...

Tisbury: Library Building Fund

Heard on Main Street: The Goblins will get you if you don’t watch out. Don’t miss Fossil Day 2021 at the Tabernacle, a free educational event for all ages. Bring your own fossil to share...

Tisbury: ‘Two Wings to Heaven’

Heard on Main Street: Squirrels are nature’s little speed bumps. It was nice to have a call from Alan Wilder. He said he only spent three days at Cuttyhunk last year, so he is changing...

Tisbury: Steamship ports

Heard on Main Street: “Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.” —Charles Schulz Yes, I still desperately miss my computer — it has all my recipes, not to mention those little bits that you enjoy called...

Tisbury: West Chop loop

Heard on Main Street: “Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects.”  –Will Rogers The Vineyard Haven library invites you to join in the virtual annual 5K Walk/Run to the Chop to benefit the library. This...

Tisbury: Vanessa the Sea Serpent

Heard on Main Street: A good friend is like an old quilt, giving comfort and warmth. Most of us here were pretty lucky during the storm. I was glad I slept through the very specific...