Monday, January 25, 2021

Tisbury

Tisbury: Peace on Earth

Heard on Main Street: Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, it seems it may be wiser to sleep late. I don’t remember if I previously saw a production of “All...

Tisbury: Reading and knitting

Heard on Main Street: When I make a typo on my password, why doesn’t the computer correct that? Why is it that when the air is colder outside, the heat inside seems not quite as...

Tisbury: ‘The Splendid and the Vile’

Heard on Main Street: New Year’s resolution: Do whatever your Rice Krispies tell you to do. I used to hear my brother-in-law speak with a catch in his breath about how profoundly he admired all...

Tisbury: Staying safe in the new year

Heard on Main Street: You understand the 12 Days of Christmas are necessary to allow time for the holiday mail to arrive. That’s why it should really be 12 ‘mailmen’ in the song. Most in...

Tisbury: Sending Christmas cards

Heard on Main Street: I’ve learned so much from my mistakes, I’m thinking of making a few more. Santa’s last minute hint: Are you out of ideas? You can get a gift certificate from the...

Tisbury: Holiday memories

Heard on Main Street: Be naughty. Save Santa the trip. I just finished listening to a book called “Lady in Waiting – My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown,” not only a fascinating...

Tisbury: Community Wishing Tree

Heard on Main Street: Last week the weatherman predicted “snow as heavy as Mom’s mashed potatoes.” The Wishing Tree at 124 William St. is waiting for you. All are welcome to visit this tree through...

Tisbury: Small Wonders Show

Heard on Main Street: The closer the roll of toilet paper gets to the end, the faster it goes. Maybe that is why so many are stocking up again. A friend found some Island masks...

Tisbury: One-way streets

Heard on Main Street: The buttons on my jeans have started social distancing from each other. Friends are what keep us going during these times. Three cheers for those good friends who took over Steve...

Tisbury: Madeleine Albright memoirs

Heard on Main Street: If I were wrong, don’t you think I’d know? You know that the Vineyard Haven library will have books out in the backyard for you to select new reading. I am...

Tisbury: Thanksgiving options

Heard on Main Street: Dr. Seuss said, “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” That does not, of course, suggest you...

Tisbury: Sharks, ships, and laughs

Heard on Main Street: How come Superman could stop bullets with his chest, but always ducked when someone threw a gun at him? If you haven’t had your flu shot, get it Saturday, Nov. 7,...

Tisbury: Browsing in the backyard

Heard on Main Street: Beware. The goblins’ll get you if you don’t watch out. Celebrate Halloween with lots of spirit(s). Turn your clocks back Halloween night, and it will be daylight when your alarm goes...

Tisbury: Little House on the Prairie

Heard on Main Street: It is a fact that the second mouse gets the cheese. Farmers, take note: There is a free — no cost — series to be offered by A.C.E. M.V. to farmers,...

Tisbury: Upcoming Beach Road closure

Heard on Main Street: Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else. Watch large and small animals in the wild. Sally Naser will share her hobby with Wildlife Cams through Zoom from our...

Tisbury: Visual and culinary art events

Heard on Main Street: Love your enemies — it will confuse them greatly. How would you like to try some Saturday morning hikes on-Island? They are sponsored by BeWellMV and Cape Cod Municipal Health in...

Tisbury: Biking on a sandy path

Heard on Main Street: Ignoring the facts does not change the facts. Sometimes I feel as if I am taking baby steps. But I am still afraid to eat meals inside a restaurant. I am...

Tisbury: Creative and practical masks

Heard on Main Street: Be the person your dog thinks you are. I am so glad they are not closing Beach Road yet. If you go by the markers, the plan is rather confusing. It...

Tisbury: Preparing for climate impacts

Heard on Main Street: Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted. The Tisbury Community Preservation Committee is looking for worthy projects in our town. You have to apply to get...

Tisbury: Maritime art show comes to Island

It will be good to have the YMCA opening up, at least partially. Mostly because soon it will be too cold outside for my early morning walks. I did not know Bob Dutton well, but...
>