Sunday, April 11, 2021

Tisbury

Tisbury: ‘Beyond the Mask’

Heard on Main Street: It's a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser. April is Poetry Month and a few Island libraries will present a discussion of “Beyond the Mask,” a...

Tisbury: Library community room

Heard on Main Street: This happened yesterday and is important information. A friend had his second dose of the COVID vaccine in New Zealand after which he began to have blurred vision on the...

Tisbury: Composting food waste

Heard on Main Street: Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives that we may not even notice...

Tisbury: William Faulkner books

Heard on Main Street: It used to be only death and taxes. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling too. Last week I enjoyed a restful half hour with Anna Yukevich; she was singing and...

Tisbury: Stress relief kits

Heard on Main Street: Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, or the smallest act of caring — but not in these days of COVID. I have just...

Tisbury: Vineyard oral history

Heard on Main Street: We don’t realize how wonderful today is until tomorrow. In our latest storm, my phone and email connection went down. Fortunately, my son helped and soon the problem was solved. I...

Tisbury: Family memories

Heard on Main Street: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food? You may not know this, but very shaky hands can do wonders to cause problems. My hands shake when I use the mouse...

Tisbury: Being neighborly

Heard on Main Street: If all is not lost, where is it? Now every time I go on Zoom, I worry that I will look like a cat. Or be upside down like the Senator....

Tisbury: A case for Respectacle

Heard on Main Street: Think about it. War does not determine who is right — only who is left. The best reason to get the COVID-19 vaccination is that should you get the virus, the...

Tisbury: Winter distractions

Heard on Main Street: Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special. Honor Black History this month. On Saturday, Feb 6, from...

Tisbury: Vaccinations

Heard on Main Street: I do read The Times, pretty much all of the time. Don Keller surprised me; he wrote that he’d read The Times stories about COVID vaccinations and possible timelines. What?...

Tisbury: Peace on Earth

Heard on Main Street: Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, it seems it may be wiser to sleep late. I don’t remember if I previously saw a production of “All...

Tisbury: Reading and knitting

Heard on Main Street: When I make a typo on my password, why doesn’t the computer correct that? Why is it that when the air is colder outside, the heat inside seems not quite as...

Tisbury: ‘The Splendid and the Vile’

Heard on Main Street: New Year’s resolution: Do whatever your Rice Krispies tell you to do. I used to hear my brother-in-law speak with a catch in his breath about how profoundly he admired all...

Tisbury: Staying safe in the new year

Heard on Main Street: You understand the 12 Days of Christmas are necessary to allow time for the holiday mail to arrive. That’s why it should really be 12 ‘mailmen’ in the song. Most in...

Tisbury: Sending Christmas cards

Heard on Main Street: I’ve learned so much from my mistakes, I’m thinking of making a few more. Santa’s last minute hint: Are you out of ideas? You can get a gift certificate from the...

Tisbury: Holiday memories

Heard on Main Street: Be naughty. Save Santa the trip. I just finished listening to a book called “Lady in Waiting – My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown,” not only a fascinating...

Tisbury: Community Wishing Tree

Heard on Main Street: Last week the weatherman predicted “snow as heavy as Mom’s mashed potatoes.” The Wishing Tree at 124 William St. is waiting for you. All are welcome to visit this tree through...

Tisbury: Small Wonders Show

Heard on Main Street: The closer the roll of toilet paper gets to the end, the faster it goes. Maybe that is why so many are stocking up again. A friend found some Island masks...

Tisbury: One-way streets

Heard on Main Street: The buttons on my jeans have started social distancing from each other. Friends are what keep us going during these times. Three cheers for those good friends who took over Steve...
>