Monday, December 5, 2022

Tisbury

Tisbury: Fred Fisher’s free hayrides, Atlas of Life presentation, and Senior Center open house

Heard on Main Street: Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special. Look for Fred Fisher’s annual free hayride on Sunday, Dec....

Tisbury: Decorative fur gnomes, and meditation on aging

Heard on Main Street: Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. If you forgot to express your thanks by supporting the Vineyard Committee on Hunger appeal for the Family...

Tisbury: music and song at the playhouse, and Family to Family meal program

Heard on Main Street: Don’t forget. Even those turkeys running around our town are good to eat. The Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse invites you to a delightful evening of music and song presented by some of...

Tisbury: Island Story Time, and Story Walk at Sheriff’s Meadow

Heard on Main Street: When I was a kid, I always wanted to be older. This is not what I expected. Talking with friends the other day about childhood experiences at Halloween brought back memories....

Tisbury: Daylight Savings Time ends, and Granny Squares

Heard on Main Street: Remember, the second mouse gets the cheese. It hadn’t occurred to me that continuing PT at the hospital would help me see folks I hadn’t seen in a few years. I...

Tisbury: Personal writing courses, German lieder, and Halloween parade

Heard on Main Street: The goblins'll get you if you don't watch out. Pay off your credit cards every month, especially now that the interest rates are going up. You know you can still register to...

Tisbury: Fall Get-Together, and did you get your booster?

Heard on Main Street: Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift. The M.V. Cancer Support Group fall fundraiser, Brunch Under the Tent, is this Saturday, Oct. 22, from 10 am to...

Tisbury: Fresh For Fall, and MVM Halloween donations

Heard on Main Street: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. If you missed seeing the Tisbury Master Plan presentation last Tuesday, you can go to tisburymasterplan.com anytime to see it....

Tisbury: Fiber and fabric, composting, and portable magic

Heard on Main Street: Be yourself. People don’t have to like you, and you don’t have to care. On Thursday evenings, the Falmouth Genealogical Society is offering information online, including this evening, from 7 to...

Tisbury: St. John’s Church in Tisbury, UK

Heard on Main Street: English is difficult. It can be understood through tough, thorough thought,  though. (Yes, you must say that slowly.) Carson Rickey and Cynthia Chau from Golden, Colo., were the top in-person finishers...

Tisbury: Veterans Memorial Park

Heard on Main Street: One thing you can't recycle is wasted time. By tomorrow at noon: Applications for Community Preservation Act funding of community housing, historic preservation, recreation, or open space must be submitted, with...

Tisbury: Literary tour and senior services

Heard on Main Street: Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you. The Tisbury special town meeting is this Tuesday, Sept. 20, at 7 pm at the High School Performing Arts...

Tisbury: Island traffic and noise

Heard on Main Street: Life isn't fair, but it's still good. Tonight at 6 pm, the Vineyard Haven library presents Frye Gaillard, co-author with Cynthia Tucker of the new book, “The Southernization of America: A...

Tisbury: Burning Patience

The Vineyard Haven library has a new program that I wish I could do. Yoga With Kat or Chair Yoga for Arthritis starts Monday, Sept. 12, at 11 to 11:50 am for six weeks,...

Tisbury: Water refill stations

Heard on Main Street: I do my best. I let go of the rest. It’s good the Lyme disease project has started. But what about West Nile virus? A number of years ago, I had...

Tisbury: Library Building Fund

Heard on Main Street: Telling a woman to calm down works about as well as baptizing a cat. I can tell you why we all say there is more traffic this summer, but the MVC...

Tisbury: Discovering new books

Heard on Main Street: When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, “Why do you want to know?” One of my best friends, since our early school days, has...

Tisbury: Literary walking tour

Heard on Main Street: Sometimes it takes me all day to get nothing done. I am happy to share some happy news with you. Leigh Smith turns 95 on August 15, and all of her...

Tisbury: Lots of fun

Heard on Main Street: You're wrong. The 10 commandments are not multiple choice.  You must have seen the great pictures and write-up in July 7’s Times: The Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse offers the Fabulists, with Theater...

Tisbury: A delightful surprise

Heard on Main Street: Perhaps it’s true — whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger. But I am beginning to wonder. Just as I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn’t go...