Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Chilmark

Chilmark: Community kindness, Native Earth Teaching Farm, Pathways, and library classes

A few weeks ago, a “last call before it goes to the dump” Facebook post offered a desk and chair. It has eight drawers. I’d been using a borrowed-from-the-family drop-leaf table and cardboard Ikea boxes...

Chilmark: Saintly Supper, family yoga, bag weaving, safe lawns, Pathways, and Kirtan

The winds change in March. The pace picks up inside and out. The birds' songs are louder, and the chorus more diverse. Snowdrops are in bloom. I wish I’d cut back more of the...

Chilmark: Animal Health Care Associates and Up-Island Council on Aging

This week is spring break. Many are off on adventures. Many are enjoying home. Some are starting seeds. I am sick with a head cold. I am grateful for broth and yummy Island-made heat-up meals...

Chilmark: Cross-country skiing, Tending Joy, library classes, and Maya Angelou

I love snow, and was thrilled when enough fell to strap my boots into the old cable bindings on the wooden skis I’d picked up years ago from Jane Slater’s shop in Menemsha. I...

Chilmark: Stylish footwear, August Engler, winter greenery, and Pathways music

My dog is recovering beautifully from surgery. The biggest challenge is keeping him calm. He is eager to get back to long hikes and runs. Next week the restrictions will be lifted. My mum, Anne...

Chilmark: Music and light

My dog fell ill, and as I write, is recovering from surgery and in the ICU at VCA South Shore Animal Hospital (Weymouth). They are an emergency care center, open 24 hours. I am...

Chilmark: Wellness, Nancy Aronie, Music & Light, Saintly Suppers, and Slow Stitching Circle

I’m looking for the light. I found it Saturday night at the Chilmark Potluck Jam. I found it in a reflection in a puddle. I found it in the warmth of the woodstove. I found...

Chilmark: Working together, VTA buses, local farms, and Pathways events

I know we can do things on our own, but what might happen if we do them together? In his last sermon, “Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution,” Martin Luther King said, “Our world...

Chilmark: Effects of storm, Community Church, Preschool, and North Tabor Farm

“There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep and still be counted as warriors.” —Adrienne Rich, “Sources”  It was a shocking week of warm winter storms. The most recent storms from...

Chilmark: Shared joy, Jazz and Songs, sound healing, and printmaking class

Friend: a being life doesn’t explain Which only goes on seeing another born And multiplies the mirror of my soul ... —“Soneto do Amigo,” Vinicius de Moraes  Despite the weather, there were offerings of music, poetry, and light...

Chilmark: Holiday decorations, Potluck Jam, book sale, and Music and Light concert

“Whatever I do, I want that impact to lead to joy. I want the impact to lead to somebody being uplifted or healed. That’s a real thing. That’s a very real thing.” —Jon Batiste,...

Chilmark: Potluck Jam, Peaked Hill Studio, Pathways, and book sale

I am grateful to live in Chilmark. Many houses have lights and decorations you can see from the road. We come together and we carry forward traditions and often the Community Center plays host. Last...

Chilmark: Linda Fischer, Solstice Celebration, and Community Church

’Tis the season to greet one another with good tidings. To notice those we cherish. It is time to wrap friends in a warm hello and smile. It is time to write emails, send messages and...

Chilmark: Rainer Maria Rilke poem, Yossi Kai Monahan book, and Holiday Flea Market

Let This Darkness Be a Bell Tower By Rainer Maria Rilke Quiet friend who has come so far, feel how your breathing makes more space around you. Let this darkness be a bell tower and you the bell. As...

Chilmark: Offering of Music and Light, prompt-inspired poetry, and making fire cider

I wish I could hold the sands of time. I really miss my deceased loved ones, and have come to understand, with a shock, we have become the elders. Much is falling on our shoulders,...

Chilmark: Nature walks, live music, indigo dyeing, MVBLM, and Offering of Music and Light

Note to self: There is always enough time to take a walk. Our neighborhood is unmanicured, hilly, and uneven. It is wildly perfect. Last week my son walked into a cluster of ticks. The coyote...

Chilmark: Mindful moment, Native Earth Teaching Farm, Chilmark Church, and Pathways

I don’t know what to write. I don’t know what to say. There is no way to extirpate grief. Waylon Sauer was only 17. My heart holds Noni, Dan, their children, extended family, friends,...

Chilmark 

The house is filled with blooming geraniums, pink, white, and purple petunias, lavender, and bright yellow, red, and orange nasturtiums. They soak up the winter sun that streams for hours through southern windows. Before...

Chilmark: Ed Pierce, off-road biking tour, Pathways Arts, and artist Bruce MacNelly

I listen to podcasts and the radio on weekend mornings while doing inside-the-house chores. Sometimes I hear things that I want to puzzle over with someone. My brain doesn’t retain exact quotes. I remember...

Chilmark: DIY carpentry, Holly Nadler, Pathways Arts, and First Congregational Church

Call Us By Amanda Gorman Grant us this day Bruising the make of us. At times over half of our bodies Are not our own, Our persons made vessel For nonhuman cells. To them we are A boat of a being, Essential. A country, A continent, A...