Chilmark

Chilmark: New gallery of fine art

As some of you know, our dear Zero, a 15-plus-year-old Cavalier King Charles spaniel, passed away a month ago. Zero so enjoyed his life on this Island, from the beaches to the Edgartown library,...

Chilmark: Online menus for local goods

It was Saturday night, Memorial Day weekend. After the rain, I drove to Menemsha to walk my dogs. There was a steady stream of cars heading to the beach lot for sunset, filling all...

Chilmark: Abundant local farms

Last week I participated in a Sing with Roberta Kirn online, which made me so happy to connect with friends I haven't run into, and to be part of a welcome activity I'd been...

Chilmark: Seen around Zoom

I love that seasonal resident Susan Balaban and her family have a weekly Zoom game night, while another family I know has a weekly Zoom dinner. Did you see two of our selectmen and...

Chilmark: Adapting to a new landscape

When the sun comes out so do Islanders. It was nice to see David Emerson working on a shade garden by his parking area, Mollie Doyle and her daughter readying themselves for an afternoon...

Chilmark: Find edible spring delights

Between rainy days and grey hung skies, I hope everyone enjoyed a perfect sunny Saturday. I went and bought gas at the Texaco Station around noon, drove slowly by parked cars opposite Menemsha Fish...

Chilmark: Links to everything you might need

During this “big quiet” (what I now call this Covid-19 period) seems there's always something happening in Menemsha. And this week it was the Martha Rose colliding into the fishing wharf at 6 am...

Chilmark: Craving up-Island trails and beaches

Signs have been posted at the triangle at Beetlebung corner that read both in English and Portuguese, “Welcome Back, Be Safe, Self Quarantine for 14 days.” In fact the quiet solitude of life up-Island...

Chilmark: Neighbors working together

Our visitors this week include six young deer daily, three dorper lambs, one brown ram, and 8 dorper ladies next door; one young osprey with fresh catch in its talons, and, returning daily, an...

Chilmark: We’re all connected

We may have thought it an April Fool's Day joke, but schools will remain closed through April. Days are no longer marked by the blast of noon, no longer marked by what we took...

Chilmark: Stay calm and wash your hands

Daffodils, cherry blossoms, snowdrops, crocuses, birdsong, sheep, deer, turkeys, horses, fog, sunrise, clouds, sunset … these are some of the things I'm grateful to bear witness to in these uncertain days. I am grateful...

Chilmark: finding balance

Let's start with good news, heartwarming news. Remember Gabe? Not only does Gabe now have a Big Brother but so do four other boys on-Island. It would be so great to find 8 more...

Chilmark: Salt Rock Chocolate and MV Film Fest

Update: The MV Film Festival scheduled for March 26-29 has been postponed. Snow only for the third time this winter. Wind keeping ferries docked and finally sun again. What an incredible series of musical evenings...

Chilmark: Get crackin’

Hello March, you welcomed us with a chill, as snowdrops and crocuses brought color to the ground. March says it's time to “Spring ahead,” change our clocks (we lose an hour) on Sunday, March...

Chilmark: Seeds of spring

It's the quietest week of the year, thanks to how many families head off-Island for the school break, besides no Pathways (this week) and State Road closing until late March. Up-Island Automotive, celebrating 50...

Chilmark: First winter break

After a long weekend, the best news for school-age kids is the first winter break begins after Friday classes, and runs through Friday, Feb. 28. Yup, it's leap year, so does that make a...

Chilmark: Finding big brothers and big sisters

It's our first Valentine's Day without a stop at Chilmark Chocolates, but it's also a long weekend, with schools and state and town offices closed on Monday, Feb. 17 for Presidents Day. Our library...

Chilmark: The Yard is taking summer internships

You missed the “booty-shakin' extravaganza,” according to Mary Ambulos; she was actually referring to the Super Bowl halftime show, not Saturday's fundraiser for the Chilmark School PTO. I hope everyone had a blast. Though...

Chilmark: “Eleanor and Hick”

I recently finished listening to “Eleanor and Hick” by Susan Quinn. Every political complaint by this former first lady is still echoed today, just the environmental stakes are so much greater. A fascinating and...

Chilmark: Gray-day blahs

If you missed the Yard's supercharged offering of Victor Quijada's company Rubberband last week, you better get tickets for the return of Cuba's brilliant dance and choreographic company Malpaso in March at the PAC....