Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Chilmark

Chilmark: Spread some holiday cheer

Elves are busy fixing lights and decorations on homes and businesses and bringing light into our darkening days. I would have shared a photo of the elves, but they prefer you just enjoy the...

Chilmark: Happy to be home

I really needed a break and feel thankful for getting to visit with friends in New York City and Providence, besides getting to hang out with both my sons. I went on my computer...

Chilmark: And now back to being thankful

Thanksgiving, the concept of a shared meal of gratitude, was a holiday potluck food orgy with 25 people crammed into a 450-square-foot West Side apartment when I was in my twenties. My extended family...

Chilmark: Are tornado warnings becoming more commonplace?

Condolences to the extended Healy family and friends on the loss of Kent Healy. Although I did not know him as a friend, we certainly said hello and had a few brief conversations over...

Chilmark: The leaves are in full fall regalia

When I moved to the Island 16 years ago I bought a used 2005 Subaru Forester. That car was passed onto my youngest son at least eight years ago. He just finished putting a...

Chilmark: We’ll be cleaning up from this storm for weeks

I'm writing this on Halloween, having just hung up with a friend whose power was restored this morning in the Seven Gates area. It is Day of the Dead and another friend encouraged me...

Chilmark: Almost trick-or-treat time

Oooh, it's almost trick-or-treat time. One mom mentioned she had to explain holidays that hadn't happened last year to her now 4 and 6-year-old. I hope everyone has a fun and not too spooky...

Chilmark: Carrots are coming this week

Carrots are coming this week. That's what I learned when I ran into Amy Shepard at Beetlebung Farm. The best part of running into her was being reintroduced to kohlrabi, also known as German...

Chilmark: Open shops and farmstands

It felt like a short week before getting that nice long weekend, besides seeing more media acknowledging Monday as Indigineous Peoples Day. Although only 17 vendors participate in Wednesday's Farmers Market, it's a perfect...

Chilmark: Menemsha Hills

Fall is official. The last ice cream was enjoyed at the Galley so we'll just have to begin the wait for spring. I am thankful for the mostly warm days, barefoot walks, sunrises running...

Chilmark: Farm school and trail walks

Sunday on the beach, Lucy Vincent, with Island families, Islanders getting their first beach day since the summer began and many, many dogs in tow. There was a small Stonehenge created by a 14-year-old....

Chilmark: Menemsha Hills story walk

It's felt a little like July, though Menemsha businesses know it's wedding season which translates as not so much business for them despite the numbers of people around. Congratulations to the fourth and fifth...

Chilmark: Peaked Hill Pastures

The Road Race finish line has not yet faded from Middle Road, school has started, and nary a parking space was to be had for early morning surfing at Squibnocket for those seeking storm...

Chilmark: Outdoor multi-arts event

School is back in session. I wonder how full the Island will feel off-season this fall? So many to thank for their time this summer so the rest of us could ease into family,...

Chilmark: Final softball game

Another moped accident and another tragic death in Chilmark. Perhaps mopeds should be banned from Island roads that lack shoulders. My heart goes out to all involved and their loved ones. We made it to...

Chilmark: Local award winners

The storm was coming but so was my oldest son and his girlfriend. We took the dogs to the beach, he got his annual ocean swim in and our family made it to the...

Chilmark: Fishermen’s Preservation Trust

A few days before the official Chilmark Road Race, perhaps you witnessed the goat run down Middle Road? Seems close to 30 goats got loose, holding up the VTA, a truck and other vehicles....

Chilmark: Tour and Tasting at Grey Barn

Besides some great storm surf, packed Menemsha sunsets and bounteous farm stands, everyone now knows “an incident” involving 8 and 9-year-old boys took place at the CCC. There have been articles both locally and...

Chilmark: Aerial image of algal bloom

Ndume Olatushani's “Disrupt Death Row: Art & Justice” exhibition at Kara Taylor's Gallery was not to be missed. Kara Taylor donated 25 percent of the sales from her work during this week's exhibition to...

Chilmark: Art fundraisers

It seems we are slipping too soon into August. Our farmstands are full of plants, vegetables and more. This week North Tabor Farm began a partnership with Iggy's Bread, a Cambridge-based bakery with a...
>