Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Chilmark

Chilmark: Grey Barn’s new farm stand

The heart mystery “Spread the Love” was solved by a sign found at the West Tisbury Post Office from the 2021 MVRHS class asking our community to place hearts around the Island or purchase...

Chilmark: Mystery hearts

After the Memorial Day swell, it was like a ghost town on Friday evening when I picked up our houseguest at the boat in Vineyard Haven, stores shut except for Bunch of Grapes, no...

Chilmark: Menemsha Market

Town meeting, check. Election and special election, check. Memorial Day, check. Menemsha beach lot sunset full. Summer is nearly here and one derelict building with broken windows sits empty. I don't understand why the...

Chilmark: Blessing of the Fleet

We're getting warm, inching our way towards summer. I love that all our local farm stands offer organic veggie starter plants. If you're craving chocolate, Salt Rock continues their May Wednesday and Saturday pop-ups...

Chilmark: Enchanting sculpture trail

A week ago I sprained my right ankle walking my dogs on Philbin Beach, had a half-mile walk back to my car and then drove myself home. Used Topricin and an ace bandage, plus...

Chilmark: Menemsha shops and parking

Mother's Day was truly a gift this year when my older son and his girlfriend visited after what felt like more than a year's separation. So grateful everyone has been vaccinated. Learning to forage, whether...

Edgartown: Drive-in movies

I’m bogged down this week in the annual spring nightmare of finishing the Edgartown School yearbook to send to the publisher by Friday. Always a challenge, this year has proven to be the most...

Chilmark: Fish, farms, and flea

Oh my, it's May. Porch lights lit, shutters opened, stores stocking up and life returning to a not-so-sleepy spring. Beetlebung's dorper sheep greet me in the morning, daffodils and tulips brighten up the gray...

Chilmark: So close to home

Last week Chilmark lost the matriarch of the Flanders family, Frances Todd Flanders, at 86 years old. My sincerest sympathy goes out to the extended Flanders family and friends. In lieu of flowers, donations...

Chilmark: MVFF library of films

School’s out this week and I hope everyone who has been able to reunite with loved ones or take their first excursion off-Island has enjoyed their time. For everyone else, I hope your road...

Chilmark: Supportive groups

Morning fog, evening fog, lambs, daffodils, a dozen deer grazing outside daily, turkey vultures enjoying dinner, and rabbits everywhere. When the sun does break through, I am thankful for the warmth it brings. I...

Chilmark: Kate Taylor album

Vaccination set not set. I thought I'd aced it a few minutes after midnight online through CVS off-Island, but did not get a confirmation email (story moral: check your texts). If you want to...

Chilmark: Senior discussion group

So-far-not-so-good trying to get vaccinated. I know even if it takes weeks to get an appointment, we are the lucky ones. My brother lives in Germany where they have another lockdown and barely 10...

Chilmark: Garden Wisdom workshops

Did you balance an egg during the vernal equinox? I guess we're all hoping for an early spring. I'm still adjusting to dark mornings and sundown after dinner. It was great to see lambs...

Chilmark: Island bee products

We got a taste of spring before being reminded it's still winter. It's the first time I've seen Island Bee Company proprietors tending their Chilmark bees at Native Earth Teaching Farm. Tim Colon and...

Chilmark: Cooking and gardening

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a Winter Harvest Pierogi class with Island Rose Cooking. I got a recipe from Brandee Kitzmiller and prepared my filling in advance since I wanted...

Chilmark: Arts collaboration

Hard to believe it's already March, unless you managed time away from home or jobs during last week's school break. I guess we all must sit back and not freak out at the bumps...

Chilmark: Bob Dylan as a poet

At the 11th hour I signed up for Featherstone's poetry workshop with Shira Erlichman last week. Out of 10 participants, spanning from Brooklyn to Sacramento, five of us were on-Island and of those, four...

Chilmark: Annual town census

The snow-effect has brightened the world around me and my soul, jogging so many fond memories to the fore while out walking in nature's sparkling carpet of white extending in all directions. Wearing crampons...

Chilmark: February author talks

A picture-perfect peaceful quiet Sunday snow day was something many craved. Brooming off branches breaking under white weight to preserve our favorite trees, digging out the car, snowshoeing a path for the dogs to...
>