Friday, August 12, 2022

Chilmark

Chilmark: Read beyond the beaten path

It's the bounty of summer on all fronts, and hopefully a reprieve from the heat. Swimming is my happy place, and it took having a guest for me to get to one of my...

Chilmark: Foraging, fiddling, garden drinks

August, oh deer, they seem to be everywhere. Each time I leave my house, no matter what time of day, I've run into deer, whether walking or driving, so be extra-careful on the roads....

Chilmark: The best new thing

This week walking on Peaked Hill, I passed a 10-inch box turtle on two different walks, both chalking up the only times to cross paths since walking up there over the past decade. The...

Chilmark: Another perfect morning

The Athearn cows are pasturing on Peaked Hill. They filled their water truck from our well, and I was delighted to find a bunch of fresh Morning Glory corn on our doorstep as thanks....

Chilmark: Maritime books and so much more

I'm sorry to share that the Menemsha Deli has closed for the summer for medical reasons. Let's keep our fingers crossed someone else may bring takeout back to Basin Road. Good news is that...

Chilmark: Summer visitors

With so many people returning home, and summer visitors, it's time to take things just a little slower on our roads; the walkers, dog walkers, joggers, and bicyclists are on our roads. While driving,...

Chilmark: Smell the wild roses

It's that scentious time of year where you can't help stopping to smell the wild roses and honeysuckle, and drive with the windows down to inhale every drop. The last week of June is...

Chilmark: Summer officially begins

Summer officially begins when the Chilmark Flea opens on Saturday, June 25, (and yes, I know it was official on June 21). The flea is open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9 am to 2...

Chilmark: Markets open for the season

Graduations are in the air. Congratulations to all the MVRHS graduates from Chilmark: Silas Abrams, Matthew Karlinksy, Adam Miller, Ingrid Moore, Barrett Oliver, Tristan Scott, Tyler Shipway, Graham Stearns, and Atlas Zack. Good luck...

Chilmark: Spectacular plant sales

After many unhappy years, my rhododendron had the most spectacular blooms since the first year we moved to Chilmark — well, just one of the two of them. They had started out similar in...

Chilmark: Life begins to swell around us

Oh, June so soon. I can barely catch my breath, and now life begins to swell around us. The CCC and town welcome new director Keira Lapsley, an educator and mother of two teenagers....

Chilmark: Memorial Day weekend is here

On Sunday, May 22, an informal celebration of Jill Iscol’s life was held on Lucy Vincent Beach. She had been in my thoughts all week, though we only talked a few times over the...

Chilmark: The season has begun

Congratulations are in order this week. Congratulations to Phylis Meras, who just turned 91. The other morning I was so happy to see her turning the corner from Music Street to Middle Road. I...

Chilmark: Slow Down for Stella

You could construe Middle Road just north of town hall as a massive construction zone with a mountain of dirt rising from Beetlebung Farm, as tall as nearby trees, while just west of the...

Chilmark: Happy Birthday, Nancy

Last weekend, when my son came upstairs from working in the basement, he didn't find our dogs. He went outside and still didn't find them within the perimeter of our dog fence. He then...

Chilmark: Quite a few nice beach days

Welcome home to all the families who enjoyed their school break, as well as those who stayed. There were quite a few nice beach days, especially for April, many more barefoot prints in the...

Chilmark: Forsythia and cherry blossoms abound

Forsythia and cherry blossoms abound, tulip trees are budding, hyacinth pinks and purples are spreading. Easter evening saw a full front row of cars for sunset at Menemsha Beach. It's school vacation week and...

Chilmark: Flags flying around town

Daffodils continue to delight and brighten our world. There are many more Ukrainian flags flying around town. Chrysal Parrot started making flags; if you want one, see flagsforpeace.com. I did go dancing at Pathways,...

Chilmark: Feel free to donate a book

April daffodils are blooming along stone walls bordering our roads, surround the red gas pump, carpet hills and fields, while unexpected bouquets dot the middle of some paths. Lambs are being born, and I...

Chilmark: The Allen Farm has lamb for Easter

Last week I dropped off some donations for the Chilmark School PTA Outing Fund Auction, online thru Sunday, April 3. You don't even have to bid, you can also make outright donations for instruments...