Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Chilmark

Chilmark: Supportive groups

Morning fog, evening fog, lambs, daffodils, a dozen deer grazing outside daily, turkey vultures enjoying dinner, and rabbits everywhere. When the sun does break through, I am thankful for the warmth it brings. I...

Chilmark: Kate Taylor album

Vaccination set not set. I thought I'd aced it a few minutes after midnight online through CVS off-Island, but did not get a confirmation email (story moral: check your texts). If you want to...

Chilmark: Senior discussion group

So-far-not-so-good trying to get vaccinated. I know even if it takes weeks to get an appointment, we are the lucky ones. My brother lives in Germany where they have another lockdown and barely 10...

Chilmark: Garden Wisdom workshops

Did you balance an egg during the vernal equinox? I guess we're all hoping for an early spring. I'm still adjusting to dark mornings and sundown after dinner. It was great to see lambs...

Chilmark: Island bee products

We got a taste of spring before being reminded it's still winter. It's the first time I've seen Island Bee Company proprietors tending their Chilmark bees at Native Earth Teaching Farm. Tim Colon and...

Chilmark: Cooking and gardening

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a Winter Harvest Pierogi class with Island Rose Cooking. I got a recipe from Brandee Kitzmiller and prepared my filling in advance since I wanted...

Chilmark: Arts collaboration

Hard to believe it's already March, unless you managed time away from home or jobs during last week's school break. I guess we all must sit back and not freak out at the bumps...

Chilmark: Bob Dylan as a poet

At the 11th hour I signed up for Featherstone's poetry workshop with Shira Erlichman last week. Out of 10 participants, spanning from Brooklyn to Sacramento, five of us were on-Island and of those, four...

Chilmark: Annual town census

The snow-effect has brightened the world around me and my soul, jogging so many fond memories to the fore while out walking in nature's sparkling carpet of white extending in all directions. Wearing crampons...

Chilmark: February author talks

A picture-perfect peaceful quiet Sunday snow day was something many craved. Brooming off branches breaking under white weight to preserve our favorite trees, digging out the car, snowshoeing a path for the dogs to...

Chilmark: Pathways book project

Ch Ch Ch Chilmark has been very chilly, though not yet dropping to single digits. Ice has meant skating, ice hockey, ice boating, and still surfers out for a good ride, bike riders at...

Chilmark: Natural cooking

After Jan. 6 you may have noticed a large peace sign was affixed to the outside garden fence at the home of the Larsen's at Beetlebung Corner. A welcome light with a necessary message...

Chilmark: Lucy Vincent Beach

Have you seen the amazing job Martina Mastromonaco has done on the path at Lucy Vincent Beach? She's been working outside cutting back the growth and reestablishing the natural fencing now lined with large...

Chilmark: Cooking, travel, arts, crafts

Daily morning frost signals winter is really here. Some people may have thought I was a dumb bunny last week because rabbit hunting season continues through Feb. 27, so I learned from a quartet...

Chilmark: Shared Use Path

As I wrap my orange scarf around my neck I realize hunting season has officially ended, despite gunshots heard on my Saturday morning Peaked Hill walk. We loved taking advantage of Black Dog Tavern's...

Chilmark: Preserving local history

I'm standing on the steps of the Menemsha General Store, open year-round, the sky a perfect summer blue, there's a breeze and my family is visiting. At least I can daydream about better days...

Chilmark: Island’s great ponds

The Solstice has passed so our days are getting brighter by about four more minutes of light each day. Last week's snow made it more festive and peaceful. I've been enjoying holiday lights and...

Chilmark: Holiday food and gifts

Holidays have begun, trees decorated, lights hung, Hanukkah candles lit and accepting distance as part of celebration this unusual season. I am grateful to connect even through the e-world, Zoom meals, and 6-foot apart...

Chilmark: Holiday cooking and baking

With storm surge come surfers of all varieties, and if you get to Squibby the hour before sunset, you're assured of watching an inspiring cold weather water show. Holiday lights have gone up on...

Chilmark: Pop-ups in Menemsha

The day before my older son was finishing his quarantine, we decided not to mix pods, so he did not come home for a long-planned holiday vacation week. We cooked our local turkey and...
>