Friday, November 27, 2020

Chilmark

Chilmark: Local holiday shopping

It is the Friday before Thanksgiving. I walked my dogs in the wind as the sun rose over Lucy Vincent Beach. Last night I texted my best friend from second grade, a doctor, to...

Chilmark: Thanksgiving culinary class

It looked like a turkey trot — nearly 20 turkeys, single file on the north shoulder, were making their way up hill from Chowder Kettle Lane. On a blustery Sunday afternoon, there were folks...

Chilmark: Bookbinding and baking

Election duress should have faded by now and hopefully you even got some sleep while we lived through a very long week. On the most gorgeous November day we learned Joe Biden would become...

Chilmark: Climate Change Working Group

I can't call elections, so please know my column was turned in Monday. I can recommend Suzanne Modligliani's son David Modigliani's new documentary, "Ready Or Not," which follows 17-year-old Black activist Marcel McClinton as...

Chilmark: Tales of haunted happenings

Halloween, the second full moon of the month, and now clocks are turning back an hour on Sunday, Nov. 1. Time is marching on and it seems all anyone wants to do is live...

Chilmark: Farm-fresh variety of apples

Usually this time of year when returning to walk at Lucy Vincent Beach, I will run into many people I haven't seen in a while, this year 80 percent are new faces. The beach...

Chilmark: Autumn markets and activities

Monday's holiday is usually the turning point for season closures, but this is the year of nothing usual. Perfect weather meant Lucy Vincent Beach parking was filled, more Menemsha visitors, and on Sunday Creekville...

Chilmark: Up-Island Pottery sale

Some rain, some fog, some wind and sun besides overnight temperatures beginning to drop, yeah it's October. I loved seeing Amanda Dickinson's photo of her friend Megan Kenney, who was visiting her mother who's...

Chilmark: Blue-green algae in pond

Fall is here, leaves are changing, chickens are in at North Tabor Farm. I roasted mine stuffed with Beetlebung Farm radishes and apples, besides throwing Ghost Island Farm blue potatoes, onions, and carrots in...

Chilmark: Virtual music series

It's been six COVID months since I've been in NYC, but I agreed to go with my husband last weekend. Turns out my trepidation was misplaced. Although I passed a few people in the...

Chilmark: Latest film project from MVFF

“Only You and I Can End Racism” is the sign that disappeared from the end of our road, while the awkwardly hung sign “Black Lives Matter” was thrown on top of roadside bushes along...

Chilmark: Many shops are still open

The week before Labor Day saw Portuguese man-of-wars washing up along the north shore. Not only was swimming curtailed, but morning dog walkers kept their pets on short leashes, many deciding it was not...

Chilmark: Activities for late summer

Summer activities wrapped up at the CCC, the last Black Lives Matter Salon canceled for rain, there's no season finale for Flanders Field Softball, North Tabor Farm's last CSA pickup marked 10 weeks, the...

Chilmark: Memories with an open heart

Last week the Island had two major losses, and my heart goes out to the extended daRosa and Mayhew families. Dennis daRosa was always kind, helpful, and informative. I know he will be missed...

Chilmark: Virtual book festival

Glorious rain fell, answering our drought prayers. My oldest son and sweetheart are our first guests since March, an absolute joy to have them under our roof, be it ever so briefly. We enjoyed...

Chilmark: Beetlebung bulletin board

Getting mail, writing letters, sending postcards, creating mail art, sending care packages, holiday surprises, and visiting Post Offices wherever I have traveled, being connected to the USPS is one of the things that I...

Chilmark: New farm stand and floral cheers

Just another summer week, with a car tumbling over the guardrail and sinking next to the Coast Guard boathouse (relieved the passengers were unharmed), a Saturday morning BLM vigil with more than 150 attendees,...

Chilmark: The art of return and restore

After leaving last Wednesday's Farmers Market and heading up Middle Road, I noticed four pink pigs running ahead of me along the side of the road, but clearly confused as to where home was....

Chilmark: Summer activities

Back to summer beach days, sunshine, and family. Chilmark lost one of its brightest lights, Betty Eddy, only eight days after reaching her 100th birthday. Condolences to her extended family members, and to the...

Chilmark: Serendipity at every turn

Storm surge, despite no rain, brought out a packed early morning Saturday surfing crowd to Squibby. Looked more like California. Dog walkers were plenty, and even early morning beachgoers staked out their spots all...
>