Thursday, February 2, 2023
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Snow moon, best picture nominees, entertainment basketball, and a cake walk

“The only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.”  –Michelle Obama, August 2008  I love that quote from our first African...

Oak Bluffs: Library potluck, ‘Big Night Out,’ and Chefs of Martha’s Vineyard

“Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.”  –Langston Hughes The Lunar New Year was celebrated on Sunday, but unfortunately will be remembered for a deadly shooting...

Oak Bluffs: Growing older, classes and clubs, concert benefit, and early education resources

“Don’t grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we are all born.”  –Albert Einstein It is so true that being old...

Oak Bluffs: NAACP M.V., Rotary Club, music events, and M.V. Family Center

"True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice."  –Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The NAACP Martha’s Vineyard branch announces new officers sworn in on Jan. 4. Congratulations to...

Oak Bluffs: Full moon soon, Fix It Clinic, and M.V. Table Tennis Club

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”  –Albert Einstein My wishes for the new year involve balance — finding it in all aspects of life, and keeping it....

Oak Bluffs: Snowy Christmas Eve, bowling is back, and happy birthday to George Davis

“Today, as we wish each other a Happy New Year, let us determine to be more sincere, compassionate, warmhearted human beings, trying to make our world a more equal place. That way we’ll actually...

Oak Bluffs: Ocean Park lights, Lip Synch Workshop, and YMCA Child Watch

“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year long.”  –Ebenezer Scrooge in “A Christmas Carol,” by Charles Dickens  “A Christmas Carol” has some of the best Dickens lines. For...

Oak Bluffs: Fundraiser for Sofia Hart, and holiday bazaar at the P.A. Club

“Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”  –John Lennon That quote from John Lennon seems to ring especially true around this time of year. We all get so busy with...

Oak Bluffs: Pat Law and band ESP, Holiday Bazaar, and Nursery light show

“It’s in every one of us to be wise. Find your heart, open up both your eyes.”  –songwriter David Pomeranz My Aunt Mary died last week. She was 96 years old, and she was the...

Oak Bluffs: Circuit Avenue carriage rides, “reindeer games,” and Paint Night at the Barn

“The whole world is a series of miracles, but we’re so used to them we call them ordinary things.”  –Hans Christian Anderson Oak Bluffs started the holiday season with a weekend full of festivities. It...

Oak Bluffs: Keep up the good work, Laurel, and Christmas in Oak Bluffs

“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you’ll never, ever have enough.” –Oprah Winfrey As I am writing this, we have just had...

Oak Bluffs: Shout out to Laura Hilliard, and Featherstone Holiday Gift Show

“Tell me again about this thing you call Autumn. I’ve just got summer on repeat.” –Laura Hilliard November has been a delight so far, for New England at least. When was the last time we...

Oak Bluffs: Weeklong walk, and Tap with Hannah

“A vote is a kind of prayer about the kind of world you want to live in.”  –the Rev. Raphael Warnock I hope everyone voted on Tuesday, and I hope we have come closer to...

Oak Bluffs: Dance party, Halloween on the Hill, and get your flu shot

“There is a child in every one of us who is still a trick-or-treater looking for a brightly lit porch.”  –Robert Brault Although I love the many fun events that lead toward Halloween, the night...

Oak Bluffs: Congratulations to Elizabeth O’Brien, Harvest Festival, and Halloween fun

“If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it!”  –Jonathan Winters I like that quote for its optimism and activism — and because October swimming continues to be very enjoyable! Whenever I hesitate, thinking...

Oak Bluffs: Electronics Disposal Day, and Community Beach Cleanup

“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”  –14th Dalai Lama It is hard to believe that we are halfway through October! Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend and all the island activities. I had...

Oak Bluffs: Ladyfest, Open Market, and pickleball

“We only have one earth. Let’s take care of it.”  –Deb Haaland, Secretary of the Interior, first Native American Cabinet secretary  Indigenous Peoples’ Day will be celebrated on Monday, Oct. 10. This holiday was recognized...

Oak Bluffs: Homeschool meet-up

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”  –L.M. Montgomery, “Anne of Green Gables” October is like the July of the fall season: The beauty of the season is starting to...

Oak Bluffs: Blue Folk band and Coast Guard boat

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” This quote, made well-known by Jimi Hendrix, who may have heard it from the teachings of Sri Chinmoy Ghose, an...

Oak Bluffs: Tivoli Day street fair

“Come, come, Tivoli Girl, dance the hours away. Come, come, Tivoli Girl, don’t you hear the music play? If you’ll be my pal in the summertime down beside the ocean blue, when the snow...