Thursday, September 22, 2022
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Blue Folk band and Coast Guard boat

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” This quote, made well-known by Jimi Hendrix, who may have heard it from the teachings of Sri Chinmoy Ghose, an...

Oak Bluffs: Tivoli Day street fair

“Come, come, Tivoli Girl, dance the hours away. Come, come, Tivoli Girl, don’t you hear the music play? If you’ll be my pal in the summertime down beside the ocean blue, when the snow...

Oak Bluffs: Polar Bears

“I am the source of my joy and infinite possibilities.”  –Martha’s Vineyard Polar Bears mantra The “Today Show” did a piece about our own Martha’s Vineyard Polar Bears on August 24, with video footage and...

Oak Bluffs: Community greenhouse

“Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, air, and you.” –Langston Hughes We all need rain and humor these days! Now that we are past the big week of...

Oak Bluffs: Annual fireworks

“Won’t you come and take me home? I’ve been too long at the fair.”  –Bonnie Raitt Have you ever been too long at the fair? I can sure remember the long days back when my...

Oak Bluffs: Documentary films

“I don’t think there is anything on this planet that more trumpets life than the sunflower.” –Helen Mirren Remember when the date of the Grand Illumination at the Campground was kind of a secret? Not anymore...

Oak Bluffs: The magic of summer

“’Cause a little bit of summer’s what the whole year’s all about.”  –John Mayer  I know summer is not everyone’s favorite season, but it is mine, and always has been. Even 40 years of living...

Oak Bluffs: Summer community

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”  –Maya Angelou I ran into Brian Weiland last week, picking up trash and sweeping the walkway above the beach...

Oak Bluffs: Lovely community events

“Water is medicine for those who need it most … and everyone else.”  –Wallace J. Nichols, Blue Mind July 23 is World Blue Mind Day. What is Blue Mind? It is the term used to...

Oak Bluffs: A historic gathering

“People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart.”  –Nelson Mandela I was thinking of this quote...

Oak Bluffs: Summer is in full swing

“My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates, You never know what you’re gonna get.”  –Forrest Gump Happy birthday to Tom Hanks on July 9!  July’s full moon will once again be a...

Oak Bluffs: Fourth of July weekend!

“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with freedom.”  –Bob Dylan I’m kind of in shock that I am writing about the Fourth of July weekend! This always seems to take us...

Oak Bluffs: Happy summer

“A good coach will make his players see what they can become, rather than what they are.”  –Ara Parseghian, Notre Dame coach This quote is for Jay Schofield, a beloved Island coach, whom we are...

Oak Bluffs: Juneteenth and Harborfest

“Life doesn’t come with an instruction book — that’s why we have fathers.”  –H. Jackson Brown Father’s Day is Sunday, June 19. Congratulations to all the fathers out there who are doing the work of...

Oak Bluffs: Super Full Strawberry Moon

“Happiness is a decision.”  –Michael J. Fox  I first fell in love with Michael J. Fox as Alex Keaton on “Family Ties” in the ’80s. Then he was the amazing Marty McFly in the “Back...

Oak Bluffs: To listen, to learn, and to do something

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”  –Henry Ford  My heavy heart prays for our national leaders to listen, to learn, and to do something...

Oak Bluffs: The kickoff of summer

“Spring never warms us till May, /The offshore breeze is the reason.”  –Kate Taylor, “Shores of Paradise”  I heard that beautiful Kate Taylor song on the radio yesterday morning, and that line surely rang true,...

Oak Bluffs: Our little Island

Margaret Wise Brown, the “laureate of the nursery,” was born on May 23, 1910, in Brooklyn, N.Y. She wrote more than 100 children’s books, under her name and the pseudonym “Golden MacDonald.” She’s most...

Oak Bluffs: Flower Supermoon

“I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment.”  –Colin Farrell The May full moon is known as “the Flower Moon,”...

Oak Bluffs: A flower, a diamond, a sandwich, or a hug

“Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force … it’s an act of infinite optimism.”  –Gilda Radner Here’s your reminder: Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 8. Thank your mother,...