Friday, October 30, 2020
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Afterschool programs at the Y

Vote messages are appearing everywhere and these are probably some of the most important messages we are sending to all those eligible these next few days. We all have our likes and dislikes for...

Oak Bluffs: Spooktacular school event

The Old Farmer’s Almanac tells us that “Jack Frost is a tricky fellow. Watch him turn your garden yellow.” And that seems the most popular color in the garden and on the trees these...

Oak Bluffs: Community rock garden project

At last some rain on Monday last, that will hopefully bring a little green to those dried-up patches of grass that are everywhere. The most color along the roadsides now are the political signs...

Oak Bluffs: Plans for new streetscape

Wisdom from the Old Farmer’s Almanac tells us “when birds and badgers are fat in October, expect a cold winter.” I haven’t spotted any fat badgers but there are still many plump birds flying...

Oak Bluffs: Neighborhood Convention

“Oh Bushed October morning mild, Begin the hours of this day slow. Make the day seem to us less brief.” –Robert Frost. And are not the days getting shorter and shorter, with it seeming...

Oak Bluffs: Discovering natural wonders

At dusk on many evenings when I was a child, we would listen carefully and hear the far-away call of the whippoorwills. Upon hearing one call, we would await the echo of a responding...

Oak Bluffs: Tom Dresser book coming soon

We have had the gift of September’s cool days and cooler night temperatures this past week, and are promised more of them, with a brief interruption of hot and humid for a couple of...

Oak Bluffs: Support for seniors

“Oh, the splendor and the glory of that glad September day, When o’er the hills together we rode so far away.”  –From “Autumn Day” by Hattie Tyng Griswold, American poet (1840-1909). These lines sound...

Oak Bluffs: Sportsmanship off the court

How quickly August is racing toward the first of September. Unfortunately, the date on the calendar does not mean instant changes in the weather. It seems as if not only our least favorite hot-and-humid...

Oak Bluffs: Safety on town streets

That was a most beautiful, perfect rain on Saturday and Sunday. The grass was almost lifting up arms welcoming the drops as they gently helped ease the drought. Now Monday morning skies still held...

Oak Bluffs: Centennial voting celebration

This week could be described the same as last week, except there seems to be more: more people, more sickness, and more waiting for some rain to ease the drought somewhat. So many lawns...

Oak Bluffs: Turn your face to the sun

Wise words from the Old Farmer’s Almanac and this Maori proverb: ”Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you.” This isn’t easy to do in these stressful times. But we...

Oak Bluffs: Schools releasing final plan

From all the news reports, I gather we must not let up on our vigilance to cease the spread of the coronavirus. The majority of people I see about in Oak Bluffs appear to...

Oak Bluffs: Acts of kindness

Remember when life was so much simpler? If you needed to make a phone call, you would dial the number, with no area code needed, or if you wanted to go further back, when...

Oak Bluffs: Reaching out to others

Much is different, yet some things remain the same. As in years past, gardeners are proudly showing off their early crop yields of tomatoes and cucumbers. It seems impossible to me to acknowledge that...

Oak Bluffs: Planning for the school year

I don’t know what went on in your neighborhood on the Fourth of July, but we were surrounded by the loud explosions of fireworks in the nights before, during, and after that date. Sunday...

Oak Bluffs: Enjoying summer parks

The secret to happiness is freedom. And the secret to freedom is courage. So said Thucydides, Greek historian, c. 460 – 401 B.C. An apt quote as we celebrate the Fourth of July holiday...

Oak Bluffs: Changes on Circuit Avenue

We are fast approaching the July Fourth weekend, and the weather certainly feels like it. Hot and humid, the wish for beach lovers, has arrived. For me and the dog, Chance, it means fans...

Oak Bluffs: Change for all generations

“Summer comes with a bound, winter comes yawning.” So says the Old Farmer's Almanac about the summer solstice on June 20. It seems impossible that we are rapidly headed toward the longest day and...

Oak Bluffs: Showing how much we care

As I look out onto the front yard at all the beauty, the flowers — purple lilacs, bright pink rhododendrons, the driveway lined with the yellow yarrow and purple iris, I can’t help but...