Sunday, October 24, 2021
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Ordering logs for the wood stove

My mind is now on approaching late fall and early winter as this weekend was taken up with removing the air conditioners from the windows and finishing clearing up the flower beds. Ordering logs...

Oak Bluffs: Council on Aging clinics

Sometimes I think I liked life better “back in the day” when things seemed simpler. I miss the noon whistle summoning us home for lunch or alerting us to a fire, walking to school...

Oak Bluffs: Pop-up book sale

October is ready to greet us tomorrow. With open arms it waits to coax us into cooler winter, like a decompression chamber easing us into the inevitable change. “Warm October, cold February” declares the...

Oak Bluffs: Climate Action Plan

I love this weather cycle we seem to be in this past week. Fall breezes and sunshine. Wednesday, Sept. 22, was the Autumnal Equinox. According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, “As the wind and...

Oak Bluffs: Maritime Month

Now that we are on our inevitable path toward fall weather, the sun’s pathway to bring sunlight and heat into my house has changed its position. The slant of this projectile is much lower,...

Oak Bluffs: Concert at P.A. Club

“Of all the seasons, autumn offers the most to man and requires the least of him.” So said Hal Borland, American naturalist (1900-78), according to the Old Farmer’s Almanac. I think we all are...

Oak Bluffs: Recreation classes

Well, thank goodness tropical storm/hurricane Henri did not fall in love with the Island but took his turmoil elsewhere. A few messes of tree limbs, which were easily taken care of, were left here...

Oak Bluffs: Martin Sexton’s new album

Just when I think I cannot stand one more minute of trying to breathe in the thick soupy, humid air and listening to the noisy humming of the air conditioners, the weather becomes much...

Oak Bluffs: Pickleball at Niantic Park

Some things never change, such as rain. It is still wet and still falling on us most every day, sometimes all day, sometimes brief showers. It has certainly changed many plans, but not the...

Oak Bluffs: Oral History Recording Studio

August is here with its crowds, gridlocks of traffic, and very tired residents. Sooner than usual this year, because of COVID, the workers who have been struggling so long to bring needed services to...

Oak Bluffs: Craft Sale at Tabernacle

Once again we have endured a week of little sunshine and clouds, sprinkles of rain and high humidity. As comedian Steve Martin said: “A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” How true,...

Oak Bluffs: Craft Fair and Dream Fund

This time of year I love to hear the voices of the children in the neighborhood at dusk as they play and shout around their yards, perhaps cheering on someone in a game of...

Oak Bluffs: Beauty all around

I find I am starting my days differently these past months. I used to turn on the television to watch the news, and read the Boston Globe from cover to cover during breakfast. But...

Oak Bluffs: Summer reading program

My favorite, the Old Farmer’s Almanac, has these words of wisdom: “Scientists estimate that a single ragweed plant can release 1 billion grains of pollen over the course of a season.” That explains the...

Oak Bluffs: Music at Featherstone

The Old Farmer’s Almanac offered this advice 125 years ago in July 1896: “The farmer has no excuse for letting the weeds grow in July, for improved implements enable him to get his hay...

Oak Bluffs: Neighborhood parks

The season of the bugs has arrived. Big ones, small ones, flying ones, crawling ones, they seem to think that I have a bed and breakfast as they crawl or munch their way around...

Oak Bluffs: P.A. Club activities

We have been blessed with rain enough to keep the grass and plants healthy and enough sun to bring out colorful blooms on the flowers and shrubs. The birds seem to enjoy rain or...

Oak Bluffs: Organizing your home

Congratulations to all the seniors who graduated from MVRHS, Charter School, and Falmouth Academy. After two years, the schools were finally able to hold their traditional class and awards night and their graduation ceremonies....

Oak Bluffs: Town parking

What an ending to the month of May between wild winds, torrential rains, and political happenings. Because of the Memorial Day weekend our columns have to be submitted by today, Saturday, so I am...

Oak Bluffs: Summer at Featherstone

Summer arrived rather abruptly on Saturday last, bringing high temperatures and humidity. We had become used to the cold spring thus far and it was a shock to be thrust into summer so quickly,...
>