Sunday, January 17, 2021
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Community services

United States history that I never imagined or wanted to view took place this week in our beloved country. I guess the only way I can describe the emotions I felt when I witnessed...

Oak Bluffs: Remembering from the heart

When you say the year 2021, it still sounds like a science fiction book to me. But let’s turn it into a year that is better in any way that previous years have been....

Oak Bluffs: Council on Aging message

“Ah, Friends, dear friends, as years go on and heads get gray, How fast the guests do go! Touch hands, touch hands, with those that stay. Strong hands to weak, old hands to young, around the...

Oak Bluffs: Messages for the holidays

Once again a light snow storm has draped a blanket of snow over the ground. If only it was as warm as the quilt it looks like — but it is cold now on...

Oak Bluffs: Senior center services

If the nights are getting too long for your liking and the days too short, take heart as next Monday on Dec. 21, the winter solstice will be the longest night you will have...

Oak Bluffs: Festive light shows

The town is starting to hum with more people shopping, walking, admiring holiday and Christmas decorations, and greeting people — most of them wearing masks. I love it when I am in the store...

Oak Bluffs: Giving thanks to teachers

Thanksgiving was held in many homes throughout the Island last week, and although perhaps different for most of us from any we have celebrated before, we are thankful and continue to be grateful that...

Oak Bluffs: Red Stocking Fund

As it is every year, Thanksgiving is here once again. Everyone here on the Island and throughout the world has been seriously impacted by the coronavirus. Why is it too difficult to do two...

Oak Bluffs: Community food resources

Our days remain beautiful and unseasonably warm even when temperatures drop into the low 30s during the night. The morning sun usually warms us up quickly. The birds are really enjoying the suet and...

Oak Bluffs: 50 years in business

Two questions occupied our minds this week: They were who won the presidential election and did you feel that earthquake? I know who won and I did not feel the earthquake, but certainly heard...

Oak Bluffs: Red Stocking Fund underway

Tuesday, Nov. 3, is Election Day and as I am writing this column on the 2nd, I am wondering what next week will look like. We will have a president and whether we agree...

Oak Bluffs: Afterschool programs at the Y

Vote messages are appearing everywhere and these are probably some of the most important messages we are sending to all those eligible these next few days. We all have our likes and dislikes for...

Oak Bluffs: Spooktacular school event

The Old Farmer’s Almanac tells us that “Jack Frost is a tricky fellow. Watch him turn your garden yellow.” And that seems the most popular color in the garden and on the trees these...

Oak Bluffs: Community rock garden project

At last some rain on Monday last, that will hopefully bring a little green to those dried-up patches of grass that are everywhere. The most color along the roadsides now are the political signs...

Oak Bluffs: Plans for new streetscape

Wisdom from the Old Farmer’s Almanac tells us “when birds and badgers are fat in October, expect a cold winter.” I haven’t spotted any fat badgers but there are still many plump birds flying...

Oak Bluffs: Neighborhood Convention

“Oh Bushed October morning mild, Begin the hours of this day slow. Make the day seem to us less brief.” –Robert Frost. And are not the days getting shorter and shorter, with it seeming...

Oak Bluffs: Discovering natural wonders

At dusk on many evenings when I was a child, we would listen carefully and hear the far-away call of the whippoorwills. Upon hearing one call, we would await the echo of a responding...

Oak Bluffs: Tom Dresser book coming soon

We have had the gift of September’s cool days and cooler night temperatures this past week, and are promised more of them, with a brief interruption of hot and humid for a couple of...

Oak Bluffs: Support for seniors

“Oh, the splendor and the glory of that glad September day, When o’er the hills together we rode so far away.”  –From “Autumn Day” by Hattie Tyng Griswold, American poet (1840-1909). These lines sound...

Oak Bluffs: Sportsmanship off the court

How quickly August is racing toward the first of September. Unfortunately, the date on the calendar does not mean instant changes in the weather. It seems as if not only our least favorite hot-and-humid...
>