Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Home Town Columns Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs: Birds and perennials

This Island spring of iffy weather continues to reduce the warmth other towns on the mainland are enjoying. But it will continue to get warmer and we will be thankful for the cool ocean...

Oak Bluffs: Neighborhood clean-up

Do I dare say that I think we have seen the last of snow until next winter? More sun to warm our hearts and ourselves and also at last, some rain Sunday. Now I...

Oak Bluffs: Annual town election

Welcome spring with the sunnier days true to the predictions at last. Our family spent Sunday last raking away barrels of leaves and allowing the early daffodils and crocus to stretch toward the sunlight...

Oak Bluffs: Cancer support group

Another Monday has rolled around with just a couple of changes. We are now on daylight savings time and it is so pleasant to still have sun shining at 7 pm. However, the extreme...

Oak Bluffs: Anniversary of steamship rescue

Under the leaves in the sunny area in my backyard, the first courageous plants of spring are poking green shoots to reach warmth and daylight. The weather forecast predicted a bit of snow flurries...

Oak Bluffs: M.V. Chamber Music Society

Another rainy Monday as I look out the window at the overcast sky. When I go out to call Doddle to come in for breakfast, instead of finding him waiting at the door, I...

Oak Bluffs: Food distribution

My cell phone weather app tells me it is raining now on this Monday, but I have yet to see it. If the cat refuses to venture outside then I will know the rain...

Oak Bluffs: YMCA programs

It is Friday, Feb. 12, and I am writing my column for Feb. 18, early once again, because Monday is a holiday. The Times office will be closed and we have been asked to...

Oak Bluffs: Library programs

Snow, ice, cold and colder as we progress into the second week in February. The view from the inside where I am warmed by the wood stove, is beautiful but I know that those...

Oak Bluffs: An up-close coronavirus experience

February 2021 is here with a confetti parade of snowflakes to announce its arrival. It is predicted that whatever little snow we get will soon be erased by a few days of rain. But...

Oak Bluffs: Virtual theater fun

Here on this Island, according to the latest figures, COVID numbers are increasing daily, yet the governor has now suspended the early closures and stay at home rules. But just because we can does...

Oak Bluffs: Community services

United States history that I never imagined or wanted to view took place this week in our beloved country. I guess the only way I can describe the emotions I felt when I witnessed...

Oak Bluffs: Remembering from the heart

When you say the year 2021, it still sounds like a science fiction book to me. But let’s turn it into a year that is better in any way that previous years have been....

Oak Bluffs: Council on Aging message

“Ah, Friends, dear friends, as years go on and heads get gray, How fast the guests do go! Touch hands, touch hands, with those that stay. Strong hands to weak, old hands to young, around the...

Oak Bluffs: Messages for the holidays

Once again a light snow storm has draped a blanket of snow over the ground. If only it was as warm as the quilt it looks like — but it is cold now on...

Oak Bluffs: Senior center services

If the nights are getting too long for your liking and the days too short, take heart as next Monday on Dec. 21, the winter solstice will be the longest night you will have...

Oak Bluffs: Festive light shows

The town is starting to hum with more people shopping, walking, admiring holiday and Christmas decorations, and greeting people — most of them wearing masks. I love it when I am in the store...

Oak Bluffs: Giving thanks to teachers

Thanksgiving was held in many homes throughout the Island last week, and although perhaps different for most of us from any we have celebrated before, we are thankful and continue to be grateful that...

Oak Bluffs: Red Stocking Fund

As it is every year, Thanksgiving is here once again. Everyone here on the Island and throughout the world has been seriously impacted by the coronavirus. Why is it too difficult to do two...

Oak Bluffs: Community food resources

Our days remain beautiful and unseasonably warm even when temperatures drop into the low 30s during the night. The morning sun usually warms us up quickly. The birds are really enjoying the suet and...
>