Thursday, September 22, 2022

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Little Bird music program

Kudos to all the people who helped with the migrants who were flown to Martha’s Vineyard unannounced and dropped at Martha’s Vineyard Community Services. I don’t know what the governor of Florida expected the...

Aquinnah: Focus group and senior transportation

The Aquinnah Wampanoag Powwow did not disappoint. While Saturday was remarkably warm, people came in droves to celebrate. There were many familiar faces among the regalia-clad dancers, singers, and musicians, but there were others...

Aquinnah: Sassafras Earth Education on PBS

The first day of school on the Island was this past Tuesday. Clyde Smith, who turned 18 last week, is a senior. Laina Benoit, Noah Manning, Yossi Monahan, Nahani Hyde, and Olive and Violet...

Aquinnah: Climate Action Plan

Happy Sept. 1, everyone. Take a big inhale, now let it out. Now do that 100 more times, and you might be able to let go of some of the August tension. I’m sure most...

Aquinnah: Duo concert debut

That was a wonderful fair this past weekend. I hope everyone was able to attend and enjoy the amazing local food, including Deon’s, Goldie’s Rotisserie, Nina’s (new this year), and of course the West...

Aquinnah: Candidate forum

It’s the height of all summer, Illumination Night, the fireworks, and the fair. Or, as I like to call it, the week every child on Martha’s Vineyard has a nervous breakdown because they just...

Aquinnah: Summer Speaker Series

August has settled over us just as hot, humid, and dry as July but with more people. The best escape is the beach, which, although crowded, I find with a carefully placed towel and...

Aquinnah: Dawnland film screenings

Finally, rain. So needed, so welcome. On Monday, August 8, the Aquinnah Cultural Center, in association with the Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival, will present “Dawnland Films,” a screening of two films at the Aquinnah Circle....

Aquinnah: Capture the magic

Summer is moving right along; sometimes it feels as if it is moving too fast. But there are moments where you can capture the magic, especially here in Aquinnah. Last week it was Juli...

Aquinnah: A special day

Aquinnah is really showing up this summer. The 15th annual Native Artisans Festival and Public Safety Day were this past Saturday, and both were wonderful. My only complaint is that I’m not richer, and...

Aquinnah: Thank you, everyone!

The Fourth of July in Aquinnah was delightful; thanks to everyone who participated in planning and executing the parade and the picnic that followed. Thanks especially to Gabbi Camilleri for all she did for...

Aquinnah: Come celebrate the fruits of summer

Happy official summer season, everyone! The Island seemed incredibly busy through June, so I am curious (meaning scared) to see what July will bring. At least the weather has been lovely so far. Beware...

Aquinnah: Music and food

I don’t know about you, but after the Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade and the deaths of so many people by guns in America, this year alone, I’m not really in the...

Aquinnah: Get ready, everyone

Get ready, everyone, July starts next week. Last week, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced that it selected Aquinnah and Chilmark as one of 12 competitively selected remote and island communities around the U.S....

Aquinnah: Summer kickoff barbeque

Pride weekend was a lot of fun. I saw pictures of the parade in Oak Bluffs and the Drag Brunch at the Oyster Bar, and both looked amazing. The dance party at the Orange...

Aquinnah: Summer kickoff barbeque

If you have not been yet, you must check out the Sunday dinners that Juli and her crew at the Orange Peel Bakery are putting together. This past Sunday you had your choice of...

Aquinnah: Thank you and good luck to all

Congratulations to Jamie Vanderhoop, who is our new town treasurer. I know she will do a fabulous job, and it will be nice to stop by the Town Hall and see her smiling face....

Aquinnah: Shops opening for business

Have you been to the Gayhead Store at the Cliffs? It opened this past weekend, and it’s run by the Smalley family. They have done an amazing job of stocking their shelves. They have...

Aquinnah: Why does the winter drag on?

Memorial Day is just around the corner, but you wouldn’t know from the perpetual wind tunnel we are living in these days. I didn’t think it was possible for more debris to fall into...

Aquinnah: I was reminded why I live here

I know that I complain a fair amount about the quiet winters here, and especially the winter weather. Usually at some point in April, when it drops down to 32° and there’s a chance...