Saturday, July 2, 2022

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Music and food

I don’t know about you, but after the Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade and the deaths of so many people by guns in America, this year alone, I’m not really in the...

Aquinnah: Get ready, everyone

Get ready, everyone, July starts next week. Last week, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced that it selected Aquinnah and Chilmark as one of 12 competitively selected remote and island communities around the U.S....

Aquinnah: Summer kickoff barbeque

Pride weekend was a lot of fun. I saw pictures of the parade in Oak Bluffs and the Drag Brunch at the Oyster Bar, and both looked amazing. The dance party at the Orange...

Aquinnah: Summer kickoff barbeque

If you have not been yet, you must check out the Sunday dinners that Juli and her crew at the Orange Peel Bakery are putting together. This past Sunday you had your choice of...

Aquinnah: Thank you and good luck to all

Congratulations to Jamie Vanderhoop, who is our new town treasurer. I know she will do a fabulous job, and it will be nice to stop by the Town Hall and see her smiling face....

Aquinnah: Shops opening for business

Have you been to the Gayhead Store at the Cliffs? It opened this past weekend, and it’s run by the Smalley family. They have done an amazing job of stocking their shelves. They have...

Aquinnah: Why does the winter drag on?

Memorial Day is just around the corner, but you wouldn’t know from the perpetual wind tunnel we are living in these days. I didn’t think it was possible for more debris to fall into...

Aquinnah: I was reminded why I live here

I know that I complain a fair amount about the quiet winters here, and especially the winter weather. Usually at some point in April, when it drops down to 32° and there’s a chance...

Aquinnah: Things are beginning to come to life

Happy School Vacation Week everyone! I hope you all started it with a good Passover, Easter, or Ramadan celebration. I know the Community Baptist Church held an early morning Easter service (6:30 am is...

Aquinnah: Many hands make light work

The beachgrass planting that took place on Lobsterville Beach this past Saturday was a grand success. Twenty thousand stems of beachgrass were planted to help slow the erosion of the dunes. Many hands make...

Aquinnah: It was an excellent production

If you did not see “Les Misérables” at the MVRHS this past weekend, you really missed out. It was an excellent production, with some of the most talented high school performers I’ve seen. Everyone,...

Aquinnah: This year’s Oscar telecast did not disappoint

I’m not sure how many Oscar fans there are in Aquinnah. I, for one, always watch them, no matter how long, misguided, or out of touch they are. I love movies, and actors, and...

Aquinnah: We miss you, June

March is nearly over, and while I am not convinced we will not have another snow or windstorm, the pinkletinks are back in force. You can hear their hopeful screeching all over town. It’s...

Aquinnah: The water will still be chilly

Happy first day of spring (this coming Tuesday)! While the wind has been howling and we had some snow last week, the crocuses are blooming, and the daffodils are poking their heads up. That...

Aquinnah: Daylight lasting beyond 5:30 pm

Remember to spring forward this Saturday. We will lose an hour, but will gain infinite joy in daylight lasting beyond 5:30 pm. Spring will officially start on March 21, but will unofficially begin in...

Aquinnah: Purposely avoiding social media

Greetings from cold, bright, and snowy Ithaca, N.Y., where I am visiting seasonal Aquinnah residents Rachel and Mike McDonald. The air is bracing, and the snow has a pleasing crunch to it. Ithaca is...

Aquinnah: Check out the Martha’s Vineyard Nonprofit Collaborative

Happy school vacation week, everyone. I hope you are getting the vacation you want, or are just going to enjoy the lack of traffic on-Island. If you are feeling like you need some movie...

Aquinnah: The ads were okay

Super Bowl Sunday and a wintry snowfall! I was not expecting that, although I enjoyed the two-hour delay from the schools since I was up late watching the Super Bowl. It was a tight...

Aquinnah: Winter until mid-May

Last week was Groundhog Day and of course the groundhog saw his shadow and the rest of the U.S. will get six more weeks of winter. We, here on Martha’s Vineyard, will have winter...

Aquinnah: Shoveled, then shoveled some more

That was quite a storm we had on Saturday. I’m not sure what the exact snowfall totals were for Aquinnah — it seemed to be about a foot and a half, judging from the shoveling...