Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Mindfulness at the beach

The physically distant Fourth of July parade was a success. It began on Moshup Trail and wound its way through town. Tom Murphy, one of the organizers, said that he would like to continue...

Aquinnah: Community spirit

Come one, come all! This Saturday, the Aquinnah Fourth of July Parade will gather on Moshup Trail (at Old South Road) at 9:30 am. At 10 am sharp it will depart, and the entire...

Aquinnah: Cheer a parade of floats

The Fourth of July parade in Aquinnah will be happening this year, although it will look a little different from years past. The parade will be all floats (otherwise known as cars), and everyone...

Aquinnah: Community options for summer

There will be a Juneteenth celebration at the Aquinnah Circle this Friday, June 19, from 7 pm to sunset. There will be speakers, music, and songs organized by Sassafras and the M.V. Vegan Society....

Aquinnah: Plan ahead to enjoy beaches

Saskia and David Vanderhoop organized a vigil and protest in honor of George Floyd this past Friday at the Cliffs. I am sorry I could not attend; by all accounts it was a lovely...

Aquinnah: Plans for area near Town Hall

It feels strange to be writing this from the peaceful confines of my kitchen while large parts of America are in tumult over years of systemic racism and police brutality. Again. The riots over...

Aquinnah: More shops are open

The end of May finds Martha’s Vineyard cautiously reopening, and what feels like droves of people gathering outside. The weather this past Sunday was glorious, and that brought many people outside, where it feels...

Aquinnah: Opening in phases

Happy Memorial Day everyone, we’ve made it this far! While this weekend promises to be different from years past, let’s all be grateful for being safe and healthy, albeit restricted from some people and...

Aquinnah: Community art project

Just to show you that this quarantine has turned my brain to mush and my sense of time has completely collapsed — in last week’s column I completely forgot about Mother’s Day. Not only...

Aquinnah: Safely keeping the light on

Filmmakers Liz Witham and Ken Wentworth, in collaboration with Pathways, on Thursday, May 7, at 8 pm will have an online launch celebration on Zoom in honor of their film, “Keepers of the Light.”...

Aquinnah: Relief comes in many forms

I have wonderful news; as of April 30, Salt Rock Chocolate is officially open. Salt Rock Chocolate is a company started by Ali and Sarah Flanders, who studied under the master chocolatiers of Chilmark...

Aquinnah: Watch out for ticks, too

You know what stinks about Covid-19 on Martha’s Vineyard (aside from everything)? We still have to worry about ticks and Lyme disease. You’d think the little buggers would have a little courtesy and sit...

Aquinnah: On the hunt for Easter eggs

Thank you to Jamie Spears Vanderhoop who had the brilliant idea of organizing a “social distancing” egg hunt. The parents and kids of Aquinnah decorated large paper pictures of Easter eggs and posted them...

Aquinnah: Check in with friends

Since I am not seeing anyone in person right now, news of Aquinnah residents’ activities is scarce. I reached out to some people via Facebook to see how they were faring in this time...

Aquinnah: What’s everyone up to?

I have some good news this week: March is over. Since we have been at home way, way more than usual lately, my family and I have gotten some projects done. The first weekend...

Aquinnah: The rest of us should stay home

“The world needs a wash and a week's rest.”  –W.H. Auden It looks like some of us are going to get that in the form of a stay-at-home order from our governor. I say...

Aquinnah: hunkering down

What a difference a week makes. My last column was all about the fun social activities happening on-Island and this week, everything has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Social distancing is the new hot...

Aquinnah: March like a lion

Talk about March coming in like a lion. There was so much going on this weekend. On Friday, Pathways hosted a dance party, then on Saturday, Friends of Family Planning brought back the Lip...

Aquinnah: League of Women Voters at Pathways

Kate Taylor, Isaac Taylor, and Phil DaRosa took a road trip last week, all the way to Nashville, Tenn. They performed at Puckett's Leiper's Fork in Nashville, and the word on the street is...

Aquinnah: A very happy birthday

The presidential primary for Massachusetts is on Tuesday, March 3. The polls will be open from noon to 8 pm. Early voting in Aquinnah is happening through Friday, Feb. 28 from noon to 4...