Friday, January 22, 2021

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Treasure Boxes exhibit

Well, hopefully we had a safe and peaceful Inauguration yesterday. At the time of writing, it seemed like the intelligence community, police departments, and National Guard were taking threats seriously and ensuring the security...

Aquinnah: Indian Police Academy

A very hearty congratulations to Ranger Christopher Manning for graduating from the United States Indian Police Academy on Jan. 7. Before he attended the Indian Police Academy, Chris graduated from the Municipal Police Training...

Aquinnah: Library events in winter

I hope everyone had good holidays and a peaceful start to the New Year. Most of all I hope that we all stay healthy this year. The holidays passed by in a bit of...

Aquinnah: Story of the wishing tree

Well folks, it’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for since about March: the end of 2020. For many communities, the past few years have been difficult, but this year spared no one in...

Aquinnah: The Polar Express

There are many things and people to miss and mourn this holiday season, but one thing I will truly miss is the annual Aquinnah Holiday Party. This is one of the best events in...

Aquinnah: Twinkling wishing tree

The other day I was wondering if Pam Glavin had put up Carl’s tree yet. She always calls me to let me know when she does it so I can mention it here. And...

Aquinnah: Kate Taylor’s recording project

The wind around here has been doing me in lately. I recognize that part of life here on an island and especially in Aquinnah, comes with wind. There are some winds I quite like....

Aquinnah: Local holiday gifts

It seems like most people had a quiet holiday last week in town, keeping guests to immediate family from what I heard. In walking around over the weekend, there were lots of people at...

Aquinnah: Indigenous Artists Market

Thanksgiving can be a touchy subject in Aquinnah. For years, American schools and culture presented it as a harmonious event between two cultures when it really wasn’t. Many people see the story of Thanksgiving...

Aquinnah: History of Thanksgiving

Oh, my friends, it feels like we are barreling towards another lockdown with our COVID-19 cases rising and rising. I had high hopes for this winter, but they are falling lower every day. I...

Aquinnah: Mobile farm market

On Saturday, the birds around our house seemed a little “off.” There were multiple incidents of birds flying into windows or against the walls of the house. One bird settled on our outdoor table...

Aquinnah: Bakery orders for Thanksgiving

This column feels a little outdated or behind the times this week, as I am writing this on Monday and Tuesday is Election Day. By the time this comes out, who knows what will...

Aquinnah: Library services and events

You have three more chances to vote in the election: today, Thursday, Oct. 29, and Friday, Oct. 30, from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm, and of course Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, from 7...

Aquinnah: Local singer has first single

Cranberry Day was last Tuesday, and it looks like it was a good time. Although it was a “soggy” day, many people came to harvest. Jannette Vanderhoop said that “the berries were plentiful,” which...

Aquinnah: Wampum jewelry and crafts

There was an interesting thread on the Facebook page, “Islanders Talk” over the weekend that I found helpful. It addressed non-Native people making jewelry and crafts with quahog shells and calling it “wampum.” Wampum...

Aquinnah: Safety in the woods

This is an information heavy column this week, sorry this is a less lighthearted chatter but hopefully that will return next week. Here is the voting information for Aquinnah voters, it’s a lot of information...

Aquinnah: Kittens in need of home

The hurricanes hitting the East Coast this past month have brought some tremendous waves our way. Walking on Philbin the other day, I saw at least 25 surfers. I’m glad to see people out...

Aquinnah: Support for local nonprofits

As I write this, I have three boys doing Zoom school in my living room and on my deck, I am in a Zoom meeting (video off, since I’m also writing), I’m still in...

Aquinnah: Creative online connections

Happy first day of school, everyone (such as it is)! Usually this is a day when parents breathe a sigh of relief that their children are returning to a regular schedule that doesn’t involve...

Aquinnah: New trails and beach access

The wind has shifted, and fall is in the air. Even though there have been some hot days, it seems like summer is on the way out. But of course, we are still going...
>