Monday, October 18, 2021

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: ‘West with the Night’

It was a sad week last week. Arnie Reisman, one of the Poet Laureates of Martha’s Vineyard, board member and performer at the Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse, writer, joke maker, fighter for social justice, honorary...

Aquinnah: Cranberry Day

Just one more holiday weekend to get through and then the season is officially over. Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day weekend everyone. Let’s all take a deep inhale and exhale. We made it through a...

Aquinnah: Indigenous Peoples Day

It’s about time! The first annual Indigenous Peoples Day will be held at Felix Neck on Monday, Oct. 11, from 2 to 4 pm. This is a collaboration between the Aquinnah Cultural Center and...

Aquinnah: Exhibit to benefit Mytoi

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful September, as it is the month we all suffer through August for. Even with some intense rainstorms, the weather has been wonderful and that full moon this...

Aquinnah: Native plant kits

Martha’s Vineyard kids went back to school last Wednesday, and it was wonderful to see pictures of all the town kids starting off the new year. Latham Higgins began his last year of high...

Aquinnah: Little Bird music

The Gay Head 10K will be held this year but it will be virtual. You can help support the continued restoration and maintenance of the historic Gay Head Lighthouse by running the race wherever...

Aquinnah: Portuguese man o’ wars

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone! We made it. This was one of the roughest summers I have ever experienced here on M.V. It started out like, “We survived the pandemic, and this is going...

Aquinnah: Ag Fair memories

Well, that was quite a week. COVID cases continued to rise, the fair went on as planned and the week ended with what was supposed to be a hurricane, then was downgraded to a...

Aquinnah: Vanderhoop home and exhibits

Happy fair week everyone! We’ve made it to the height of the summer season in this crazy, pandemic time. To limit crowding and lines at the Fair, the Ag Society is selling entrance and...

Aquinnah: Music at Cliffhanger’s

I have been dreading this August since at least May and now that it is here, it is not disappointing. Crazy traffic in both number of cars here and drivers doing stupid things, large...

Aquinnah: Concert at Orange Peel Bakery

Welcome home to Keyshawn Devine! Keyshawn, who is 9 years old, was run over by a truck accidently on July 14. He was taken to Boston Children’s Hospital where he had surgeries and was...

Aquinnah: Squibnocket Pond alert

The collaboration of Wampanoag tribal members and Danza Organica “âs nupumukâunean (We Still Dance),” which was performed last week at the Yard sounds like it was a stunning performance. I am so sorry I...

Aquinnah: Circle Time and Mobile Market

The Annual Aquinnah Native Artisans Market and Aquinnah Public Safety Day were held this Saturday and I have never seen so many people there. The event may have been helped by the weather, which...

Aquinnah: Old, new, borrowed, blue

I got the opportunity to speak with Bradford (Brad) Lopes II, the new program director at the Aquinnah Cultural Center this week. He is the grandson and namesake of Aquinnah Wampanoag tribal elder Bradford...

Aquinnah: Cultural Center exhibit

The Aquinnah 4th of July parade was fun even without the beach treasure hunt. For the second year in a row, the parade was limited to “floats” (cars decorated in incredibly fun ways), and...

Aquinnah: Native Artisans Market

Congratulations to Tom Murphy who is our new selectperson. It was a tight race between Tom and Adrian Higgins and, while Adrian was not elected, I would love to see him in some other...

Aquinnah: Indoor dining returns

The annual town meeting was this past Saturday, and it went pretty well. People behaved themselves for the most part and we got through all the business in under three hours. The meeting started...

Aquinnah: Yoga at the town hall

The West Tisbury School gave the eighth graders a wonderful send off last Thursday. It was held at the Ag Hall which had been decorated by parents the day before. It was a lovely...

Aquinnah: Library events

Good news everyone, you no longer have to go down-Island for a decent meal. The Outermost Inn is opening tonight, June 10, call 508-645-3511 to make a dinner reservation. Cliffhangers is open every day...

Aquinnah: Seaweed Art Gallery

I’m sorry everyone. It was all my fault, really it was. I take full responsibility. I broke my hard and fast rule to never switch out my winter clothes for my summer clothes before...
>