Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Squibnocket Pond alert

The collaboration of Wampanoag tribal members and Danza Organica “âs nupumukâunean (We Still Dance),” which was performed last week at the Yard sounds like it was a stunning performance. I am so sorry I...

Aquinnah: Circle Time and Mobile Market

The Annual Aquinnah Native Artisans Market and Aquinnah Public Safety Day were held this Saturday and I have never seen so many people there. The event may have been helped by the weather, which...

Aquinnah: Old, new, borrowed, blue

I got the opportunity to speak with Bradford (Brad) Lopes II, the new program director at the Aquinnah Cultural Center this week. He is the grandson and namesake of Aquinnah Wampanoag tribal elder Bradford...

Aquinnah: Cultural Center exhibit

The Aquinnah 4th of July parade was fun even without the beach treasure hunt. For the second year in a row, the parade was limited to “floats” (cars decorated in incredibly fun ways), and...

Aquinnah: Native Artisans Market

Congratulations to Tom Murphy who is our new selectperson. It was a tight race between Tom and Adrian Higgins and, while Adrian was not elected, I would love to see him in some other...

Aquinnah: Indoor dining returns

The annual town meeting was this past Saturday, and it went pretty well. People behaved themselves for the most part and we got through all the business in under three hours. The meeting started...

Aquinnah: Yoga at the town hall

The West Tisbury School gave the eighth graders a wonderful send off last Thursday. It was held at the Ag Hall which had been decorated by parents the day before. It was a lovely...

Aquinnah: Library events

Good news everyone, you no longer have to go down-Island for a decent meal. The Outermost Inn is opening tonight, June 10, call 508-645-3511 to make a dinner reservation. Cliffhangers is open every day...

Aquinnah: Seaweed Art Gallery

I’m sorry everyone. It was all my fault, really it was. I take full responsibility. I broke my hard and fast rule to never switch out my winter clothes for my summer clothes before...

Aquinnah: Memorial Day weekend

What glorious weather we are having! I can’t remember a May that was this warm and beautiful here in a long time. We even got some much-needed rain over the weekend. It does make...

Aquinnah: Seaweed art gallery

Well, I didn’t jump into the ocean on New Year’s Day, and I haven’t been swimming through the winter, but I did just go in for the first time this past weekend. It was...

Aquinnah: Spring and summer events

The time has now come in Aquinnah when you can safely say “Happy spring.” Although it is not as green in town as it is down-Island, the trees are budding (so too is the...

Aquinnah: Shops are opening

Stores at the Cliffs are open! There is life in Aquinnah! On the Cliffs, Stony Creek Gifts and Hatmarcha Gifts are open most days (weather dependent) from approximately 11 am to 4 pm. This...

Aquinnah: Carry in, carry out

A few days after the spectacular beach cleanup that took place about two weeks ago, Anja May and Spa Tharpe were walking on Philbin in the morning, and came upon a huge mess where...

Aquinnah: Sister Island Relief Committee

My friends, I have some very sad news. Nicholas Wallen passed away unexpectedly April 15, 2021 in Stonington, Conn. He was born in the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital on May 24, 1987, lived in the...

Aquinnah: Vineyard of the future

It kind of feels like spring might actually be here to stay. The daffodils are blooming all over town and the weather has been constant with some cold spells here and there. The only...

Aquinnah: Earth Day beach clean-up

Easter Sunday started with a sunrise service at the Gay Head Community Baptist Church led by pastor Sean McMahon, and ended with perhaps one of the shortest awards shows I have ever seen: the...

Aquinnah: Best of the Vineyard

This past weekend was Passover, and this coming weekend is Easter, the time of rebirth has begun. While it may not be time for planting things outside, it’s certainly time to start some seedlings...

Aquinnah: Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival

While all large in-person events have been cancelled on the Island, many arts organizations are doing amazing work online. The Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse is showing “The Niceties” with Amy Breneman and Tsilala Brock streaming...

Aquinnah: Senior discussion group

Did anyone notice the snow fall on Sunday? It was a sunny if cool day and then the clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped and there were snow squalls. It happened again a couple...
>