Monday, September 28, 2020

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Support for local nonprofits

As I write this, I have three boys doing Zoom school in my living room and on my deck, I am in a Zoom meeting (video off, since I’m also writing), I’m still in...

Aquinnah: Creative online connections

Happy first day of school, everyone (such as it is)! Usually this is a day when parents breathe a sigh of relief that their children are returning to a regular schedule that doesn’t involve...

Aquinnah: New trails and beach access

The wind has shifted, and fall is in the air. Even though there have been some hot days, it seems like summer is on the way out. But of course, we are still going...

Aquinnah: Electric car charging ports

Happy September, everyone! Although what it is going to look like is anyone’s guess. Will more people stay on through what is traditionally Islanders’ favorite month, as they can work remotely? Will we still...

Aquinnah: Late-summer fruit picking

The peaches have been good this year, firm with just the right give, and filled with juice. They ripen well at home, and have not been hard or dry. I have gotten good ones...

Aquinnah: Arts and antiques online

Thank you, Mother Nature, for all the rain we got this weekend, we really needed it. Even in the driving rain, the surfers were out in full force at Philbin Beach on Sunday. Anja...

Aquinnah: Mindful birding and breathing

I hope everyone is surviving August, and is getting some free time to go to the beach and enjoy the hot, sunshiny weather we’ve been having. The crowds continue to gather, and tourists keep...

Aquinnah: Library continues speaker series

Massachusetts COVID-19 cases are on the rise again. This is mostly due to parties among young people (two of which happened on the Cape), and people not knowing they have been exposed to the...

Aquinnah: Pearls of summer

Happy August, everyone! That’s right, the month every Islander dreads begins on Saturday. This year has been so crazy that who knows what August will be like? Maybe it will be wonderful, maybe terrible;...

Aquinnah: Outdoor market and dining

Rest in peace to John Lewis and the Rev. C.T. Vivian, who both fought tirelessly against racism and oppression in America for decades. They died on the same day. While the work they did...

Aquinnah: Summer takeout options

We have been blessed with some glorious summer weather of late. While our gardens need rain, nearly every day has been a beach day if you are lucky enough to be able to go....

Aquinnah: Mindfulness at the beach

The physically distant Fourth of July parade was a success. It began on Moshup Trail and wound its way through town. Tom Murphy, one of the organizers, said that he would like to continue...

Aquinnah: Community spirit

Come one, come all! This Saturday, the Aquinnah Fourth of July Parade will gather on Moshup Trail (at Old South Road) at 9:30 am. At 10 am sharp it will depart, and the entire...

Aquinnah: Cheer a parade of floats

The Fourth of July parade in Aquinnah will be happening this year, although it will look a little different from years past. The parade will be all floats (otherwise known as cars), and everyone...

Aquinnah: Community options for summer

There will be a Juneteenth celebration at the Aquinnah Circle this Friday, June 19, from 7 pm to sunset. There will be speakers, music, and songs organized by Sassafras and the M.V. Vegan Society....

Aquinnah: Plan ahead to enjoy beaches

Saskia and David Vanderhoop organized a vigil and protest in honor of George Floyd this past Friday at the Cliffs. I am sorry I could not attend; by all accounts it was a lovely...

Aquinnah: Plans for area near Town Hall

It feels strange to be writing this from the peaceful confines of my kitchen while large parts of America are in tumult over years of systemic racism and police brutality. Again. The riots over...

Aquinnah: More shops are open

The end of May finds Martha’s Vineyard cautiously reopening, and what feels like droves of people gathering outside. The weather this past Sunday was glorious, and that brought many people outside, where it feels...

Aquinnah: Opening in phases

Happy Memorial Day everyone, we’ve made it this far! While this weekend promises to be different from years past, let’s all be grateful for being safe and healthy, albeit restricted from some people and...

Aquinnah: Community art project

Just to show you that this quarantine has turned my brain to mush and my sense of time has completely collapsed — in last week’s column I completely forgot about Mother’s Day. Not only...