Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: Vineyard of the future

It kind of feels like spring might actually be here to stay. The daffodils are blooming all over town and the weather has been constant with some cold spells here and there. The only...

Aquinnah: Earth Day beach clean-up

Easter Sunday started with a sunrise service at the Gay Head Community Baptist Church led by pastor Sean McMahon, and ended with perhaps one of the shortest awards shows I have ever seen: the...

Aquinnah: Best of the Vineyard

This past weekend was Passover, and this coming weekend is Easter, the time of rebirth has begun. While it may not be time for planting things outside, it’s certainly time to start some seedlings...

Aquinnah: Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival

While all large in-person events have been cancelled on the Island, many arts organizations are doing amazing work online. The Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse is showing “The Niceties” with Amy Breneman and Tsilala Brock streaming...

Aquinnah: Senior discussion group

Did anyone notice the snow fall on Sunday? It was a sunny if cool day and then the clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped and there were snow squalls. It happened again a couple...

Aquinnah: Playground design ideas

Anne Vanderhoop wanted to thank everyone for making her 90th birthday special, so she wrote a thank you note. Here it is: “Dear Friends and Family, Thank you for taking the time to create the birthday...

Aquinnah: Town electricity

It was a quiet vacation week here in town. I did not see pictures of or hear of many people going away to warmer climes this year. Many people opted for skiing either in-state...

Aquinnah: Butternut squash surplus

This past Sunday was Anne Vanderhoop’s 90th birthday and her family organized a birthday caravan to drive past her house and wish her all the best. It was a clear, cold day but sunny...

Aquinnah: M.V. Book Festival

We are actually having a bit of a winter wonderland season this month. Although I wish I were closer to a ski mountain, I am enjoying the snow immensely. Kids are sledding on all...

Aquinnah: Black History Month

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. If you are still in love with your partner after a year of pandemic quarantining, you will probably be together forever. If you have been alone this past year, while...

Aquinnah: Leveling the Playing Field

The snow is coming down fast and heavy. It is a wet snow with large flakes, there is wind too, as there frequently is here. It feels like a true winter when it snows....

Aquinnah: Service, art, and culture

If you are looking for ways to give back to your community or to be more involved, or you really like attending meetings, read on. There are many positions open on various town boards....

Aquinnah: Treasure Boxes exhibit

Well, hopefully we had a safe and peaceful Inauguration yesterday. At the time of writing, it seemed like the intelligence community, police departments, and National Guard were taking threats seriously and ensuring the security...

Aquinnah: Indian Police Academy

A very hearty congratulations to Ranger Christopher Manning for graduating from the United States Indian Police Academy on Jan. 7. Before he attended the Indian Police Academy, Chris graduated from the Municipal Police Training...

Aquinnah: Library events in winter

I hope everyone had good holidays and a peaceful start to the New Year. Most of all I hope that we all stay healthy this year. The holidays passed by in a bit of...

Aquinnah: Story of the wishing tree

Well folks, it’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for since about March: the end of 2020. For many communities, the past few years have been difficult, but this year spared no one in...

Aquinnah: The Polar Express

There are many things and people to miss and mourn this holiday season, but one thing I will truly miss is the annual Aquinnah Holiday Party. This is one of the best events in...

Aquinnah: Twinkling wishing tree

The other day I was wondering if Pam Glavin had put up Carl’s tree yet. She always calls me to let me know when she does it so I can mention it here. And...

Aquinnah: Kate Taylor’s recording project

The wind around here has been doing me in lately. I recognize that part of life here on an island and especially in Aquinnah, comes with wind. There are some winds I quite like....

Aquinnah: Local holiday gifts

It seems like most people had a quiet holiday last week in town, keeping guests to immediate family from what I heard. In walking around over the weekend, there were lots of people at...
>