Saturday, January 28, 2023

Aquinnah

Aquinnah: This is my last Aquinnah column

This is my last Aquinnah column, and I want to thank everyone who reads or who has ever read my column. I am always touched when people tell me that they read it every...

Aquinnah: Riley Ignacio-Cameron’s service, library book group, and New Year’s party hats

Riley Ignacio-Cameron’s service was this past Sunday; there must have been about 500 people there. The room was packed wall-to-wall with people. A room “full of broken hearts,” as Noli Taylor described it. I...

Aquinnah: Make your own wrapping paper, Holiday Craft Market, and Gloria Burkin paintings

This is one of the worst things I have ever had to write in the column, we have lost a young, kind soul.  Riley Ignacio-Cameron died in a car accident over the weekend in...

Aquinnah: Family Forum, book sale, and ‘Coming Back Into the Light’

I hope everyone is holding up alright during the onslaught of holiday cheer spreading around the Island. I know the crowds, lights, and relentless glad tidings bring anxiety and a desire to escape into...

Aquinnah: Shopping at Aquila, Aquinnah Artisans Holiday Fair, and “Restorative Yoga Mini-Retreat”

Happy Dec. 1, everyone. On a side note, it is also World AIDS Day. If you would like to support efforts to test for and treat HIV locally, you can donate to Friends of...

Aquinnah: National Day of Mourning, Pathways films, and Ocean Jewelry

The 2022 National Day of Mourning will take place on Thursday, Nov. 24 on Cole's Hill (the hill above Plymouth Rock) in Plymouth, at noon. The NDOM has been a tradition since 1970, combining...

Aquinnah: Sassafras Thanksgiving truth, Ayurveda workshop, and homework club

The Outermost Inn is open for lunch at 11 am Thursday through Saturday and for brunch on Sunday at 10:30 am. They are also hosting a winter dinner series on various nights; it began...

Aquinnah: Joan LeLacheur jewelry, playground meeting, and artisans fair

Don’t say there’s nothing to do up here in the off-season. The Outermost Inn is open for lunch starting at 11 am, Thursday through Saturday, and for brunch on Sunday at 10:30 am. They...

Aquinnah: Insurance enrollment, pop-up book sale, and state elections

There were some spooky happenings this past weekend — the film festival showed some creepy movies at the Grange Hall, and the museum hosted Halloween on the Hill. Aquilla at the Cliffs held a...

Aquinnah: Homecoming Weekend, and ‘Rizing’

This weekend is Homecoming Weekend at the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School. On Saturday, Nantucket High School will be coming to participate in the annual ritual known as the “Vineyard Cup.” The football teams...

Aquinnah: ‘Little Bird’ music classes, and trick-or-treating

You know what’s great? Seeing your friends and neighbors in a collaborative production that tells their story. “Âs Nupumukâunean (We Still Dance)” was presented at the Performing Arts Center at the high school this...

Aquinnah: We Still Dance, town elections, and hunting season

And that’s a wrap on the 2022 summer season; it is officially over. Thank you, everyone, for holding it together through all the bad driving, staff shortages, entitlement, and crowds. We can all relax...

Aquinnah: Indigenous Peoples’ Day and Cranberry Day

Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day weekend, one and all! Enjoy the last hurrah. Congratulations to Kevin Montalvo and Maria Wong for their first place runs at the GayHead 10K this past Sunday. Kevin came in first...

Aquinnah: Road race and yard sale

Fall seems to be coming up fast this year, Saturday is Oct. 1,, and the wind has a more serious tone. Soon the leaves will fall, and it will be dark at 4 pm....

Aquinnah: Little Bird music program

Kudos to all the people who helped with the migrants who were flown to Martha’s Vineyard unannounced and dropped at Martha’s Vineyard Community Services. I don’t know what the governor of Florida expected the...

Aquinnah: Focus group and senior transportation

The Aquinnah Wampanoag Powwow did not disappoint. While Saturday was remarkably warm, people came in droves to celebrate. There were many familiar faces among the regalia-clad dancers, singers, and musicians, but there were others...

Aquinnah: Sassafras Earth Education on PBS

The first day of school on the Island was this past Tuesday. Clyde Smith, who turned 18 last week, is a senior. Laina Benoit, Noah Manning, Yossi Monahan, Nahani Hyde, and Olive and Violet...

Aquinnah: Climate Action Plan

Happy Sept. 1, everyone. Take a big inhale, now let it out. Now do that 100 more times, and you might be able to let go of some of the August tension. I’m sure most...

Aquinnah: Duo concert debut

That was a wonderful fair this past weekend. I hope everyone was able to attend and enjoy the amazing local food, including Deon’s, Goldie’s Rotisserie, Nina’s (new this year), and of course the West...

Aquinnah: Candidate forum

It’s the height of all summer, Illumination Night, the fireworks, and the fair. Or, as I like to call it, the week every child on Martha’s Vineyard has a nervous breakdown because they just...