Coast Guard performs two rescues

The boat involved in a rescue off Squibnocket was safely docked in Menemsha Friday. - Rich Saltzberg

Update 7/14 at 11:35 pm

A fractured tail shaft was the likely cause of a water leak that prompted a U.S. Coast Guard rescue of five people from the Cila Thursday, Ramsey Chason, owner of Sea Tow, told The Times Friday.

The Coast Guard responded to the sinking boat about one mile south of Squibnocket Point Thursday, according to a press release issued by the U.S. Coast Guard First District office in Boston. No injuries were reported.

The rescue occurred at about 3:30 pm, when the master of the 30-foot boat Cila radioed to the Guard’s Sector Southeastern New England that the vessel was taking on water. Improperly functioning bilges exacerbated the problem, Mr. Chason said.

The 30-foot boat was docked in Menemsha on Friday, and the plan is to tow it back to its homeport in New Bedford, Mr. Chason said.

On Thursday, a 47-foot motor lifeboat from Station Menemsha and an MH-60 Jayhawk from Air Station Cape Cod responded to the scene, along with the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office boat, and a commercial towing service out of Falmouth. Four of the five people were transferred onto the motor lifeboat, the release stated.

The U.S. Coast Guard rescues four passengers from the Cila off the southern coast of Martha’s Vineyard Thursday. – Photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard.

The rescue crew, with the master still aboard, was able to control the flooding and stabilize the boat to return to port under its own power. The Cila was escorted back to Menemsha Harbor, according to the release.

In a separate incident, a 50-year-old woman was medevaced by the Coast Guard from Cuttyhunk after she became ill Thursday. That incident happened around 9 pm, according to a Coast Guard press release. Gosnold Police reported a 50-year-old on the island suffering from weakness and loss of feeling in her extremities, the release states.

A 47-foot motor lifeboat crew transferred the woman to New Bedford, where she was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital. Her name was not released.