Thursday, January 27, 2022
Home Authors Posts by Chris Baer

Chris Baer

236 POSTS 0 COMMENTS

This Was Then: Ole, Frank, and Manny

0
State Road, that river of wide, smooth pavement stretching more than 18 miles from Vineyard Haven to Gay Head, wasn’t always so. Up until...

This Was Then: Roger Amidon, ‘radiophan’

0
“Roger Amidon's radio repair shop,” recalled the late John Canha of Vineyard Haven. “Amidon repaired my RCA Victor and GE radios. He was very...

This Was Then: Sleeping in

0
An old Edgartown record noted something unusual about Mrs. Anna (Pease) Arey (1755-1807) of Chappaquiddick: "She had been confined to her Bed for about...

This Was Then: Cold case

0
In late July 1810, a body was discovered buried near South Beach. The newly dead man had a straw hat on, lined with green...

This Was Then: The Cottage City Carnival of 1882

0
Please enjoy this encore “This Was Then” column.   Illumination Night in the late 19th century was very different from the laid-back traditions we enjoy...

This Was Then: Money digging

0
In 1833, newspapers around the country reprinted a story from the New Bedford Gazette titled “Money Digging”: “A few days since, three young men...

This Was Then: The Tashmoo

0
Before the great fire of 1883 burned down all of Vineyard Haven, there were two homes on the corner of Main and Church streets...

This Was Then: Names, Wood, and dynamite

0
It was not uncommon in the 19th century for Vineyard whaling captains to bring home boys from abroad, sometimes informally adopting them, all the...

This Was Then: Shark!

0
About 1840, a Dr. Gale of Holmes Hole found several oversized shark teeth in a roadside excavation in the north part of Chilmark, on...

This Was Then: Tut Chase

0
Tristram “Tut” Chase (1854–1928) was the last village blacksmith of North Tisbury. Born in Chilmark, his mother died of typhoid fever when he was...

This Was Then: Electrifying

0
Gay Head, today known as Aquinnah, was the last town in the commonwealth of Massachusetts to receive electricity. Up until 1951, there had been...

This Was Then: Mr. Meara and Mr. Davis

0
On the southwest corner of Main and Spring streets in Vineyard Haven stands the old Meara building. It has tales to tell. Sherman Meara, an...

This Was Then: Cash and counterfeit

0
The Coinage Act of 1792 established the U.S. dollar as our country’s official currency, based upon the Spanish milled dollar. But the old system...

This Was Then: The linden tree

0
The Great Fire of 1883 burned down all of downtown Vineyard Haven — both sides of Main Street and part of Beech Street, more...

This Was Then: Dr. Orland Mayhew

0
If you were born in Vineyard Haven before about 1935, the chances are excellent that you were brought into this world in the company...

This Was Then: Monsters

0
What foul creature peers up from the depths of the basin of our beloved Civil War statue in Oak Bluffs in this late 19th-century...

This Was Then: Bad beef

0
Dairy farmers Jim Adams of Chilmark and Silas Merry of West Tisbury were both worried about the health of their herds in early 1909....

This Was Then: Dr. Bullitt

0
On Oct. 21, 1925, Dr. John C. Bullitt of Vineyard Haven died at the age of 52 at the U.S. Marine Hospital of myocarditis,...

This Was Then: Donkey rides

0
Of donkeys, Equus africanus asinus, there are few early records on the Vineyard. It’s not until the late 1800s that references can be found....

This Was Then: Donkey rides

0
Of donkeys, Equus africanus asinus, there are few early records on the Vineyard. It’s not until the late 1800s that references can be found....