Home Authors Posts by Chris Baer

Chris Baer

164 POSTS 0 COMMENTS

This was then: George Alley’s Edgartown Market, about 1929

When we think of “Alley’s store” today, there’s only one that comes to mind — the old S.M. Mayhew Co. general store in West...

This Was Then: Darling’s

Darling’s, Circuit Avenue, about 1929: In addition to salt water taffy and “Cottage City Pop Corn,” Darling’s also sold potato chips, peanuts, ”log cabin...

This Was Then: George Salvadore

Updated Thursday, April 21, 1 pm*George Washington Salvadore of Edgartown was the world’s third-ranking welterweight boxer. Described as “rugged” and a “hoofer” measuring less...

This was then: Bunker’s Ice Cream Parlor

This photograph of Bunker’s Ice Cream Parlor in Edgartown was taken around the turn of the 20th century. A sign behind the gentleman on...

100 years ago, a Tivoli girl

This week, we expand Chris Baer’s “This was Then” column.“Come! Come! Tivoli Girl, dance the hours away —Come! Come! Tivoli Girl, don’t you hear...

This was then: The Ice Yachts

Before the 1938 hurricane (and the subsequent dredging of a wide, permanent channel into Vineyard Sound), Tashmoo was mostly fresh water and prone to...

This was then: The Tea House

The Betty Benz Tea House served lunch and afternoon tea at the Lagoon Bridge until its destruction by hurricane. “For ‘Tea’ we serve a...

This was then: George Fred

Captain George Fred Tilton of Chilmark, like his brother Zeb, is a Vineyarder of such legend that it’s not even necessary to use his...

This was then: The fut path

In 1685 Ponit, son of Cheesehahchamuk and sachem of Nobnocket, stated in a court record that the bounds of his sachemship had been defined...

This was then: The Neptune Club

The Neptune Club of Norwalk, Conn., poses on the steps of their hotel in Oak Bluffs. This yachting club, made up of wealthy businessmen...

This was then: Fancy poultry

When new millionaire William Barry Owen retired from the gramophone business in London and headed back to his native Vineyard Haven in 1904, he...

This was then: Professional development

The Martha’s Vineyard Summer Institute, located in the Highlands section of Oak Bluffs, offered summer courses for teachers for almost 30 years during the...

This was then: The Cigar Smoking Machine

In 1904, Edgartown inventor Elmer Bliss was issued patent 768,892 for a life-size automaton designed to advertise tobacco products. It smoked real cigars by...

This Was Then: The Hospital

The Martha’s Vineyard Hospital opened in 1922 on Eastville Avenue in the former home of Capt. Hiram and Charlotte Daggett. But this was not...

This Was Then: The Duke

“Pitted with small-pox, and with a hesitation in his speech which at moments of excitement made him difficult to understand, there was nothing in...

This was then: Professor Gough

Wheelmen pose in front of a turn-of-the-century Oak Bluffs bike shop, where the Martha’s Vineyard Savings Bank stands today. The signs read “Repairing &...

Dexter's Barber Shop

Edgartown barber Clarence Dexter (1865–1925) shaves a customer at his shop on North Water Street, in the building now occupied by Skinny’s Fat Sandwiches....

This Was Then: The Courthouse

The Dukes County Courthouse, built in 1858 from local brick, is by no means our first courthouse. The first trial on record on Martha’s...

This Was Then: The pirates of Lake Tashmoo

The Christian Science Monitor reported, “Most of the 190 persons taking part were lineal descendants of characters whose parts they were taking.” Many of...

This was then: The Standpipe

Horace Tilton, Dr. Orland Mayhew, Carey Luce, Frank Bodfish, and horses Domion and Dick pose near the site of the new Tisbury School in...