The free mobile app TrailsMV – which includes 220 miles of public walking trails on more than 100 properties across Martha’s Vineyard – got a dynamic redesign last year using the latest in ArcGIS geospatial mapping technology. In addition to showing where you are on the trails without cell service or wifi, new features include:
• Instructions on using the app, with Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese translations.
• A resources section with safety tips and helpful links, including one for bus routes.
• Expanded articles, alerts, and excursions, including the new Aquinnah Headlands walk.
• Filters to sort properties according to use (and restrictions), such as dogs allowed, accessibility, family-friendly, horses, bikes, and scenic views.
• Trail segment lengths to better gauge distance.
It’s a multi-phase project, so look for additional features to roll out in the months to come, including:
• A user profile page to save favorite trails, properties, routes, photos, etc.
• Route tracking to save your favorite rambles and bike rides.
• Lists of accessible properties and trails for people with mobility limitations.
The new TrailsMV mobile app is made possible through the generous financial support and collaboration of individual donors, the Island’s conservation organizations, the Martha’s Vineyard Commission, and the six Island towns. Cape Cod 5, Edey Foundation, Farm Neck Foundation, Martha’s Vineyard Bank Charitable Foundation, and Martha’s Vineyard Community Foundation helped underwrite the first phase of the new TrailsMV.
Download free from the App Store or Google Play. If you have suggestions or would like to help test the new app, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.