Martha’s Vineyard footballers lose the Big One to Somerset Raiders


Friday’s Homeocming Weekend football game between Martha’s Vineyard and Somerset promised to be a tight contest between two equally talented and undefeated teams.

It failed to keep its promise. The final score was 40-0 in favor of the visitors.

Somerset took control early. The Vineyard won the coin toss and chose to receive. Danilo Olegario covered the first of a half-dozen Somerset onside kicks on the Vineyard’s 43.

Brian Montambault was tackled behind the line of scrimmage. The Vineyard was called for holding on their second try, and Randall Jette’s pass to T.J. Van Gerven was incomplete. David Andrews’s punt was fumbled and recovered by the Vineyard on the Blue Raiders 36. An offside penalty helped M.V. gain a first and ten on the 27.

But Montambault was tackled for a loss. Chris Costello gained two. Montambault was met at the line of scrimmage, and Jette was sacked. The Raiders took over on their own 43.

A personal foul helped the Raiders cover 61 yards in three plays for the first touchdown of the game by Seth DeMello. Somerset’s try for a two-point conversion failed.

On the next possession, the Vineyard netted little total yardage and Andrews was called upon to punt.

Four plays and 45 yards later, Adam LeDoux scored the visitors’ second TD from the M.V. 2-yard line.

Again, the two-point conversion effort failed. It was 12-0.

After another bouncing kick, M.V. started from its 30. Runs by Costello and Araujo netted little, and Jette’s pass was intercepted by LeDoux on the Somerset 42. It took the Raiders nine plays to reach the end zone and up the ante to 18-0.

In the time remaining, the Islanders benefited from two major penalties — a 15-yard personal foul and interference on a pass intended for Van Gerven. It was as close as M.V. would get, as Jette’s pass to Delmont Araujo in the end zone was intercepted as time ran out.

The second half began with M.V. kicking off. Somerset moved from their 40 to the Vineyard 20. It was the first time that the Raiders had possession without scoring.

On their third play of the half, M.V. fumbled and Somerset took over on the Purple’s 25. Seven plays later Seth DeMello carried the ball into the end zone. The two-point effort succeeded and it was 26-0.

Before the whistle sounded ending the game, DeMello and LeDoux would score again and Somerset would claim the game, retain their unbeaten status, and assume undisputed leadership in the EAC.

M.V. will go for Coach Herman’s 200th win on Saturday at Cape Tech.